FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084274 times)

lakerdave

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5715 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:23 PM »
O I know he's a good guy , he gave me a few hot tips this year . And a lot of info on pinning .and what rod to get

griz104

« Reply #5716 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I know nothing about Center Pins and think maybe i would like to get into it a bit.. Have a chance to buy a Islander Center pin for 290 bucks that has been used once.. is this a good deal or not?? Can one use a 10 Fly rod with a Center Pin or does it have to be a 13 footer or better?? I have been reading everything i can but after a bit it gets confusing to this Old Boy...

NYtrout27

« Reply #5717 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I fished from 7 til 2:30 and got SKUNK'D!  I thru everything I had at them this morning.  I keeping hearing that there is steel everywhere tho.  They must be every where but where I am. 

On a side note, I stopped by the cleaning station and talked to Dave.  Good dude, he gave me a  little advice.  nice meeting you!
"Nothing grows faster than a fish from when it bites until it gets away."

dmntd169

« Reply #5718 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I know nothing about Center Pins and think maybe i would like to get into it a bit.. Have a chance to buy a Islander Center pin for 290 bucks that has been used once.. is this a good deal or not?? Can one use a 10 Fly rod with a Center Pin or does it have to be a 13 footer or better?? I have been reading everything i can but after a bit it gets confusing to this Old Boy...

The longer the rod the more line you can keep off the water and the longer drift you can achieve. I've run mine with a 10' rod as well as an 11'6 and both worked well but that was targeting carp on smaller rivers here in PA as well as floating baits for eyes on the Susky. I don't use my aventa float rod (13' I believe) anymore because the extra length of the rod puts extra stress on my already injured shoulder and I'd rather the fish beat it up than the rod
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

griz104

« Reply #5719 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:30 PM »
The longer the rod the more line you can keep off the water and the longer drift you can achieve. I've run mine with a 10' rod as well as an 11'6 and both worked well but that was targeting carp on smaller rivers here in PA as well as floating baits for eyes on the Susky. I don't use my aventa float rod (13' I believe) anymore because the extra length of the rod puts extra stress on my already injured shoulder and I'd rather the fish beat it up than the rod

Thank you for the response.. I would eventually get a rod if it is something that i am going to like but hate to put a ton of money into something that i am not sure about or not.. been a Bottom Bouncer since 1971 and it hard to give up a way that has been good to me over the years..But would like to at least give it a try.. would be mainly fishing Western NY Tribs so would be much smaller creeks any way and don't need long drifts...

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5720 on: Oct 21, 2011, 04:36 PM »
that reel goes for just over 400 in a store

wiredstone

« Reply #5721 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Finally got a chance to try out my new float rod. After 6 birds nests I got it down. ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

nightfisher

« Reply #5722 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Good to see ya got it down wired. Now get outta that little crick
and get up here  ;D

griz104

« Reply #5723 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:04 PM »
that reel goes for just over 400 in a store

Thank you.. Sounds to me like it's a deal then.. guess i am going to buy it..

Stormy_NY

« Reply #5724 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Macho Macho Man .... I want to Be.... A Macho Macho man ..... ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #5725 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:30 PM »
  River Report for October 21st:

The up River Float bite continues too be unusally slow, [probably due to warm water temps for this time of year]alot of guys working hard, but I set a guy up staying here up this morning...he landed 7 steelhead on floats by noon.
              Down River the bottom bouncers continue to punish the steelhead, I drove down there and witnessed it first hand , at one point I seen 4 steelhead on for 9 guys in one run.  Had a newbie guest yesterday land 11 for 17 on steel down there. I haven't talked too any float guys in 2 days down river, but it must be picking up by now. Very light fishing pressure everywhere I drove too today except there was a mob of cars at the papermill/trooper area.
           Still cleaning lots of fresh kings and some coho's from all ends of the River, tribs and big Sandies...Good luck if you go. ;D

Also for the  second straight day lake enhanced rains hit our area, bringing the tribs and water tables up, nearly an inch of rain in 3 days, more up north.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

wiredstone

« Reply #5726 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Good to see ya got it down wired. Now get outta that little crick
and get up here  ;D
I know ,but this cool project you gave me ,keeps me busy.

Hopefully I will be up in 2 weeks. If not I will be there in 3 for sure. I am ready for steelhead. ;D
wooo fish on. Never mind

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5727 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:56 PM »
snagger  do you think i  could  catch a  steelhead  if i  tried  really  really hard ????  i  was  thinking  either a  brown (favorite  on  salmon  river )  or  yellow  (oswego  river) stone fly   drifted  under  a  strike  indicator   short  nymph  style  or  long  swings  in  pools  ....mama  says  real  men  fish  with  flyrods  ,thats  what mama  says!!!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5728 on: Oct 21, 2011, 08:09 PM »
snagger  do you think i  could  catch a  steelhead  if i  tried  really  really hard ????  i  was  thinking  either a  brown (favorite  on  salmon  river )  or  yellow  (oswego  river) stone fly   drifted  under  a  strike  indicator   short  nymph  style  or  long  swings  in  pools  ....mama  says  real  men  fish  with  flyrods  ,thats  what mama  says!!!!!

Maybe if you tried really hard. I was getting them yesterday on beads using my fly rod. Thought about trying a indie but didn't feel like changing out my sink tip

neilc

« Reply #5729 on: Oct 21, 2011, 08:13 PM »
so why was lakerdave pissin in snagger's cherios anyways?
is this another SC thing,,,?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.