FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084176 times)

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5775 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Cold smoking?  Do you anything about smoking salmon? Its not that easy. I do alot of smoking meat, making sausage and stuff. I've been told mine is the best vension summer sausage some have ever had. Since you mate and are from Oswego you could corner the market in it over there. I don't think anyone smokes fish there. If you need any tips on wood or anything pm me. Just so you know real smoked salmon is done with alder. Its pricey. Hickory is bitter. Maple just makes it taste like bacon

ive been smokein salmon for like 5 years since i got my smoker, ive never had bad reveiws on it alotta wow thats good haha. i like to use apple wood. ive experimented a little bit i use a dry rub i think it makes it taste good and everyone whos tryed it loves it. i just smoked 5 salmon today for my neigbors brother from jersey he said he brought sum back that i did for him last time and all the guys down there loved it. so far no bad comments the customers i had this summer i smoked a bunch of fish and they all tipped me like 50 bucks extra so im doing sumthing right haha
RED SOX FTW
 id rather be crappie fishing

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5776 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Had a fun 4 days at the river Thursday to today, however i had an 11' G. Loomis Switch rod stolen. It is a 4 piece rod. It's a Roaring River in a brown Native Run case. I will give 100bucks if anyone returns it.
If it ain't nailed down, the scumbags of the world will steal it.  Hope you get your rod back
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5777 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:19 PM »
ive been smokein salmon for like 5 years since i got my smoker, ive never had bad reveiws on it alotta wow thats good haha. i like to use apple wood. ive experimented a little bit i use a dry rub i think it makes it taste good and everyone whos tryed it loves it. i just smoked 5 salmon today for my neigbors brother from jersey he said he brought sum back that i did for him last time and all the guys down there loved it. so far no bad comments the customers i had this summer i smoked a bunch of fish and they all tipped me like 50 bucks extra so im doing sumthing right haha
apple is good mild favor. Try mixing in cherry or pecan. Also try a liquid brine.its all about being able to do it the same everytime . I bet guys would pay 25 bucks for cleaning if you completely deboned it. Get out your needle nose. Lol

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #5778 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:28 PM »
apple is good mild favor. Try mixing in cherry or pecan. Also try a liquid brine.its all about being able to do it the same everytime . I bet guys would pay 25 bucks for cleaning if you completely deboned it. Get out your needle nose. Lol
yeaa i used to do the brown suger thing. but i dont use the needle nose i just cut out the bones.
RED SOX FTW

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5779 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:32 PM »
yeaa i used to do the brown suger thing. but i dont use the needle nose i just cut out the bones.

cut them out? all the little needle bones in the filet?

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #5780 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:34 PM »
cut them out? all the little needle bones in the filet?
yupp my father showed me how never had a bone in my smoked fish sincee  ;D ;D
RED SOX FTW

Special Ed

« Reply #5781 on: Oct 23, 2011, 10:46 PM »
okay this is a thought... and im gunna say this first I AM NOT TRYTING TO BUY OR SELL ANYTHING (so i dont get yelled at ) THIS IS JUST AN IDEA cant stress it enough cuz ik your not allowed to buy or sell on here, my idea was to start my own lil thing of smoking fish... 25 bucks a fish trout or salmon it includeds cleaning/cutting the dark meat out/ deboneing and smoking of the fish i was just wonderin if it was a good idea if so comment or pm me
Before you can even consider selling a processed food product, you'll need to invest in a smoker or smokers that can be approved by the health department .  You also need a facility that is up to Health Dept standards.   You just can't fire up a smoker in your garage or back yard and clean fish on a sheet of plywood on a couple saw horses in open air.  There are many regulation to follow strictly when processing and selling food products.   The finished product also needs to be packaged and labeled according to Health Dept laws and inspections.     Also, when dealing with salmon or any fresh water fish, there's the FDA that you have to deal with.

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #5782 on: Oct 24, 2011, 12:56 AM »
Before you can even consider selling a processed food product, you'll need to invest in a smoker or smokers that can be approved by the health department .  You also need a facility that is up to Health Dept standards.   You just can't fire up a smoker in your garage or back yard and clean fish on a sheet of plywood on a couple saw horses in open air.  There are many regulation to follow strictly when processing and selling food products.   The finished product also needs to be packaged and labeled according to Health Dept laws and inspections.     Also, when dealing with salmon or any fresh water fish, there's the FDA that you have to deal with.
im not selling a proccessed food product cuz its illegal to sell salmon in nys. i am doing a service by cleaning fish for ppl who will become my friends or are already my friends. nothing wrong with that, and all the fish  are cleaned in a well maintained garage on a cleaning board thats 5 ft by 3  ft thats washed after every cleaning and i have an old wood smoker that i got from my grandfather, that is wel maintained and cleaned after every smoking... im 19 yro im not out to start a big thing im just thinking of ways to make new friends and make a few extra dollers to help pay bills cuz i am currently unemployed and have electric bill and cable bill to pay electric is 200 a month and cables 140.... and with no job every lil bit of money helps. what im doing is cleaning fish n smokin them for ppl ik and they kindly give me a donation for my services kinda like a tip. yea theres always gunna be rules n regs but you gotta so what you can to get by, sum ppl deal drugs sum ppl have a great stable job.. i do what i can to get by the most legal way as possible and try to stay outta trouble n conflict. make new friends n fishing buddies live life to the fullest and have fun. plus job searching suxs haha, ive applied to god knows how many places.. called up on em and always got turned away...
RED SOX FTW

fishhooker

« Reply #5783 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:10 AM »
19 years old? Ever thought of just going to college or trade school? Not that fillet-ing and smoking fish is a bad idea, it's just there's a lot more dependable things you could be doing.  Most guys making a living up there do "all of the above" like running a lodge and cleaning fish, or running a lodge and guiding.  If you love the sport and want to have your life running on that love you might want to branch out.

Other than that guys we are trailing away from the river talk quickly...
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

Gillripper1

• looking for a stolen 11' loomis.. and a dead guy.
« Reply #5784 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:08 AM »
from your car?  Scumbags are back
Nope, I was staying at Cannons and i put the rod down next to my door, went inside, forgot it, and gone.
"One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions"  John Ashley-Cooper

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #5785 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Nope, I was staying at Cannons and i put the rod down next to my door, went inside, forgot it, and gone.
           Theft was a big problem again this year on the River, many dec lots and surrounds areas got hit. I had extra lights on my place this year to try to deter it from happening on my property. People just aint the same as the used to be..... sad...... I hope you get your rod back Gill, what was the make and model again?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

gillkiller13126

• out to get themm
« Reply #5786 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:28 AM »
19 years old? Ever thought of just going to college or trade school? Not that fillet-ing and smoking fish is a bad idea, it's just there's a lot more dependable things you could be doing.  Most guys making a living up there do "all of the above" like running a lodge and cleaning fish, or running a lodge and guiding.  If you love the sport and want to have your life running on that love you might want to branch out.

Other than that guys we are trailing away from the river talk quickly...

yea i have fish hooker, my pops is a boilermaker i tried gettin in that, and me n school... never got along i graduated but i worked for it. and i plan on getting my capts liscense asap.  but i know were your coming from its just hunting n fishing are the only things that work for me,
RED SOX FTW

jj7leaf

« Reply #5787 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Gillkiller, not trying to discourage you, just throwing out some things yo may not have thought of and I am not trying say that you can't get some income from doing what you are thinking.  However alot of the guys that are looking to have their fish cleaned and smoked want it before they leave town.  Some will get them on Saturday and want it done by sunday at noon, or fish sunday morning and want fish to leave with that same day.  This means that you either have to brine fish every day, make them wait, or you are in need of a supply of freshly smoked fillets that you can replace with customers fish on a daily basis.  That is the way that guys like Fritzy always did it.  That also means that you are on call for the customers fish all the time. Not on the creeks, not out in a tree stand.  You gotta be there at that garage for the people to show up whenever they feel like it, you start running around and missing guys and the good work you did will not help keep people coming to you.   That also brings up how are people going to find you?  You gonna put up postings at the access points marinas and Larry's?  If Larry offers the same type of service he will not let you put up fliers, even if he knows your old man.  If people don't know you, or have easy access to you and know where you are, you're not going to see much buisiness. 

Good Luck, I think everyone wants the same things, to make a living doing sometheing that they love.

j

waterwolf603

« Reply #5788 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:47 AM »
well put
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

Special Ed

« Reply #5789 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:40 AM »
im not selling a proccessed food product cuz its illegal to sell salmon in nys. i am doing a service by cleaning fish for ppl who will become my friends or are already my friends. nothing wrong with that, and all the fish  are cleaned in a well maintained garage on a cleaning board thats 5 ft by 3  ft thats washed after every cleaning and i have an old wood smoker that i got from my grandfather, that is wel maintained and cleaned after every smoking... im 19 yro im not out to start a big thing im just thinking of ways to make new friends and make a few extra dollers to help pay bills cuz i am currently unemployed and have electric bill and cable bill to pay electric is 200 a month and cables 140.... and with no job every lil bit of money helps. what im doing is cleaning fish n smokin them for ppl ik and they kindly give me a donation for my services kinda like a tip. yea theres always gunna be rules n regs but you gotta so what you can to get by, sum ppl deal drugs sum ppl have a great stable job.. i do what i can to get by the most legal way as possible and try to stay outta trouble n conflict. make new friends n fishing buddies live life to the fullest and have fun. plus job searching suxs haha, ive applied to god knows how many places.. called up on em and always got turned away...
Not trying to discourage you from finding and working at something that you like but the service that you intend to provide IS processing food for consumption and there are regulations and laws that will and do requires that many conditions are met before you can put a knife to one fish.
  There are loop holes but trying to skate through them isn't easy.
 What JJ7Leaf posted is as honest and clear as it gets.    Read it over and over until it sinks in !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.