FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084327 times)

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5820 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Three fish in combination no more than one steelhead
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

esox v

« Reply #5821 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hi guys. New to the forum. Been to the salmon river a couple of times, and only recently started pulling some fish out. Have a couple of questions for you pros.

1. It might be the elephant in the room type of thing, but does ANYBODY catch kings by means of having them take the bait, or are we all snagging them? Are cohos the same way, or do they actually feed while running up the river? I know about the "flossing" concept, so technically you can say that you had bait on your hook and that the fish was snagged in the mouth so it's considered legal. Is that how we explain our catches? Sorry for being so blunt.

2. I caught what I think was a steelhead the other day. It wasn't taking my eggs that I was using, so I did snag it. But I found king salmon eggs in its mouth. I was using those pink eggs from the glass jar that's sold in larger tackle stores. What's the best egg to use for these fish?

3. Both the kings and steelie that I caught had white meat, resembling that of carp more than salmon. What's the deal with that? I was expecting pink or red meat.

4. I fish to keep my catch, and so I was wondering if the fish really do taste better closer to the lake, because I figure that they spend most of their fat for traveling upstream, so catching them way up by altmar, they wouldn't have much fat left. Is that true, or do they not lose a significant amount on their way around here?

5. I was under the impression that we can only keep one steelhead, but a guy on the river said 2. Now I'm all confused. I thought we can get 3 salmon and 1 steelhead. Steelheads are salmon though so does that count towards the 3 salmon limit, or what?

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Snagged steelhead dont count on your limit of salmon...............................  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #5822 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Snagged steelhead dont count on your limit of salmon...............................  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Steelheads are salmon though so does that count towards the 3 salmon limit,
Go read the Book of regulations that came with your fishing licence  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) un friggen real  ::) ::)

go-phillies

• THE HECK WITH WORKIN!! TIME FOR FISHIN!!!!!
« Reply #5823 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:33 AM »
just go on line and look at the new york great lakes and tribs regs   it will explain everything  good luck bud   RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

Conook

« Reply #5824 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:34 AM »
"...and thence the flaming wars began"

I didn't get a book of regulations with my fishing license; just for the record.

Why do people appraise the steelhead so much over kings? it's fine to snag kings just because they don't bite, but if you can't get the steelhead to bite then it isn't ok to snag them?

Snagging, and otherwise capturing spawning salmon, using nets, traps, what have you, has been a tradition among the absolute majority of human (and animal) populations in areas where the spawns occur. The DEC has made it hard enough with all the imposed laws, like the single hook, hook gap distance, hook to sinker distance, areas open to the public, time of day to fish, seasons. With all of these barriers in place, everybody will still stand there, snagging fish and looking at each other like the other guy's a scumbag for keeping the fish. Didn't we have an open snagging policy for like centuries, or millenia rather, before they outlawed snagging in the 90's? We're all here today. So are the salmon. Sssso what's the big deal exactly?

go-phillies

« Reply #5825 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:34 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???KP WHERE YOU AT  COMIN UP THURS!!!!!    RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #5826 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:42 AM »
"...and thence the flaming wars began  
I didn't get a book of regulations with my fishing license; just for the record.

Why do people appraise the steelhead so much over kings? it's fine to snag kings just because they don't bite, but if you can't get the steelhead to bite then it isn't ok to snag them?

Snagging, and otherwise capturing spawning salmon, using nets, traps, what have you, has been a tradition among the absolute majority of human (and animal) populations in areas where the spawns occur. The DEC has made it hard enough with all the imposed laws, like the single hook, hook gap distance, hook to sinker distance, areas open to the public, time of day to fish, seasons. With all of these barriers in place, everybody will still stand there, snagging fish and looking at each other like the other guy's a scumbag for keeping the fish. Didn't we have an open snagging policy for like centuries, or millenia rather, before they outlawed snagging in the 90's? We're all here today. So are the salmon. Sssso what's the big deal exactly?

Ignorance is no excuse!!! get one :P

the answer to the steelhead over kings is simply this ........numbers......it would be like treating pike and muskie the same way ::) :o   and although I have yet to trick one...steelhead feed all fall and winter.....no need to snag

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

go-phillies

« Reply #5827 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:44 AM »
WELL SAID MY MAN!!!!!

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #5828 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:22 PM »
yeah i didnt catch he snagged the steelhead but they can be really agresive fish if they wont take an egg try a twister tail or single hook rooster tail hold it in front of his face long enough he will bite out of aggresion
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

lakerdave

« Reply #5829 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:57 PM »
"...and thence the flaming wars began"

fishshack

« Reply #5830 on: Oct 25, 2011, 03:03 PM »

Why do people appraise the steelhead so much over kings? it's fine to snag kings just because they don't bite, but if you can't get the steelhead to bite then it isn't ok to snag t keeping the fish.

The kings in the river die and rot. The steelhead spawn and return to the lake.

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #5831 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:21 PM »
I am staying out of this one... All that I am going to say is any three lake fish in Combo, No Lakers tho! Brown,Coho,Steelie Limit filled. Coho,King,Steelie limit filled Get it now? One more Time. Brown,Brown (for now) Steelie Limit Filled.. All fish must be hooked in the mouth.. Easy huh?! I heard a good one a few weeks ago..lol. I was talking to a group of guys from Pa who have been fishing up here for years. They where talking to a guy who  Said that he caught a Michigan Steelhead and it had to be 23 inches to keep and Rainbows have to be 21 inches. :cookoo: I think they said he had two steelies also. This is the part I don't get. You guys get regulation books! read them man.. I live here and I read all the revisions. its been changing like yearly the past few years.. Take the Rule book guys, Hey its free!! If you can't read, ask your agent what the new rules are.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Conook

« Reply #5832 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I am staying out of this one... All that I am going to say is any three lake fish in Combo, No Lakers tho! Brown,Coho,Steelie Limit filled. Coho,King,Steelie limit filled Get it now? One more Time. Brown,Brown (for now) Steelie Limit Filled.. All fish must be hooked in the mouth.. Easy huh?! I heard a good one a few weeks ago..lol. I was talking to a group of guys from Pa who have been fishing up here for years. They where talking to a guy who  Said that he caught a Michigan Steelhead and it had to be 23 inches to keep and Rainbows have to be 21 inches. :cookoo: I think they said he had two steelies also. This is the part I don't get. You guys get regulation books! read them man.. I live here and I read all the revisions. its been changing like yearly the past few years.. Take the Rule book guys, Hey its free!! If you can't read, ask your agent what the new rules are.

Thank you very much Simplecarppieguy. The question of whether a steelhead counts towards the 3 salmon limit was answered many times already. I guess you folks keep answering that one because it's the easiest of the ones that I asked. No need to keep saying it. I got it the first time. Thanks again. I see we can talk about the 3 fish limit all day long here but people are afraid to talk snagging as if the FBI will come knocking on your doors the minute you mention it.

AndyM

« Reply #5833 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Where do you park for the Staircase hole?  I see the location on a map, but not sure where to park.

fishgalore

« Reply #5834 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Hi guys. New to the forum. Been to the salmon river a couple of times, and only recently started pulling some fish out. Have a couple of questions for you pros.

1. It might be the elephant in the room type of thing, but does ANYBODY catch kings by means of having them take the bait, or are we all snagging them? Are cohos the same way, or do they actually feed while running up the river? I know about the "flossing" concept, so technically you can say that you had bait on your hook and that the fish was snagged in the mouth so it's considered legal. Is that how we explain our catches? Sorry for being so blunt.

2. I caught what I think was a steelhead the other day. It wasn't taking my eggs that I was using, so I did snag it. But I found king salmon eggs in its mouth. I was using those pink eggs from the glass jar that's sold in larger tackle stores. What's the best egg to use for these fish?

3. Both the kings and steelie that I caught had white meat, resembling that of carp more than salmon. What's the deal with that? I was expecting pink or red meat.

4. I fish to keep my catch, and so I was wondering if the fish really do taste better closer to the lake, because I figure that they spend most of their fat for traveling upstream, so catching them way up by altmar, they wouldn't have much fat left. Is that true, or do they not lose a significant amount on their way around here?

5. I was under the impression that we can only keep one steelhead, but a guy on the river said 2. Now I'm all confused. I thought we can get 3 salmon and 1 steelhead. Steelheads are salmon though so does that count towards the 3 salmon limit, or what?

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

I doubt I will clear anything up but I will lead you to water:

go here for regs:- http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html

I'm a relatively new guy to the SR and Salmon/Steelhead fishing. They don't feed but they do bite IMO. Not all are caught because they bit but they can be hooked in the mouth or as you said: flossed. Lots of guys choose to snag (I'm not equating that with lifting and lining) even with the regs and fines against it. I don't think you will find many publicly admitting that they snag fish on a forum like this and that is the smart thing to do. Why would anyone want to admit that they purposely break the law anyway? Only one reason I can think..............costly ego.

Plenty of Steelies are snagged. I would guess most are by accident but I'm also certain some are on purpose. It is NOT legal to purposely snag them. They must be released if snagged on purpose or by accident.

Can't help you on the color of the meat.

I'm told that Kings that are close to death don't taste good at all. So fresh fish just in from the lake are better. Not an issue for Steelies.

I think you got the drift on limits.

Now a question for you? Did you ask these knowing more than you are leading on?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.