FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084238 times)

Special Ed

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #6150 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:05 AM »
  River street lodge/  you remember Jason wilson?..I used to go drinking with the girls that worked at that place...busters , some place else and up from mike's at the cedar post...old memories tonight..... ;D  remember frick n fracks?
I don't remember the name but that's not saying I don't know him or didn't meet him.    I can't remember where I was 2 hours ago these days  :-\ ;D
  I used to work the sausage shack on the weekends from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening and consume adult beverages when time permitted !   With the number of people that moved through town on the weekend, I could have met Elvis Presley and have forgotten it !
  Frick & Fracks got a lot of our money  :whistling:   Loved it up there back then.    The money we made pouring snag hooks was crazy !    Walk them across the road to Ron's shop and he'd drop cash in our hands !    The good old days for sure !

fishgalore

« Reply #6151 on: Nov 14, 2011, 04:34 AM »
need a cheap place to stay friday night. any suggestions?

Yeah, Altmar Outfitters Lodge. Just ask for Shane aka SNAGGER. You won't regret it. I'll pm you the phone # now.

griz104

« Reply #6152 on: Nov 14, 2011, 04:43 AM »
I remember many days driving up from Pa. and hitting the snow around Cortland and then slow going rest the way up..We always fished the area that the DSR has now and would never see another person all day long in Jan. Used to watch the weather as we got one Syracuse Station and when we would see that warm spell coming in Jan. it was time to head up..I actually liked it a lot better when there was NO internet as the anticipation was half the fun of the trip..Wondering if the water was up or even fishable..Now it's like Shane says everyone knows everything..Everything is about instant gratification any more..Nobody wants to put the time in to actually find fish like we had to in the 70's..I remember 2 guys working their way down stream back in 1974 and that was the first time i ever saw anyone using floats..They were the tiny pencil floats and we razzed them about using them.. they never caught anything on them that day and we were catching them bottom bouncing with flies..Oh yeah.. Shane i remember Jason.. Another name that i have not heard in years!!   We used to go down to the boat launch by the Lighthouse and there would always be 2 kids down there selling snatch hooks 20 for a buck...They would go swimming all summer and collect them and them sell them back to everyone.. They always had five gallon buckets full of them!!

dimebrite

« Reply #6153 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:00 AM »
I have to agree with you griz... although I wasn't fishing in 1974; there was plenty of space and solitude from 90-97ish or so... now it is all about instant gratification; its as if the angler has lost sight of what fishing was really all about... not just the fish; but the experience and life in general... the anticipation and wonder/mystery is gone forever .... with that being said there is a piece of satisfaction that will always be lost for me when it comes to steelhead fishing... but yes; I do still love it...

dimebrite

« Reply #6154 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Hey snag; mikes fish on was our spot through the 90s; my father took us up all year long with multiple trips a month. There were weekends where we never even got in the truck until it was time to go home... there were too many good spot in walking distance along with food as well... those were my good old days for sure...

timdog

« Reply #6155 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Any body been around long enough to remeber the big flood of 1985? It dredged the town pool out something good.  After the river dropped there were fish everywhere.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #6156 on: Nov 14, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Any body been around long enough to remeber the big flood of 1985? It dredged the town pool out something good.  After the river dropped there were fish everywhere.

When we had our flood last year, the papers and internet kept saying it was in March of 85, but I could swear it was the week between christmas and new years of 84, my friends were up here, and I came up the next weekend... What I remember is how the river changed course in 2 places, first the ball park, the river always flowed on the weir(where they collected salmon before the hatchery) side over by spring creek, then it jumped over to the ballpark side from the boat ramp to eye of the needle side, never was water on this side...went to the flats that year(DSR now) and the big turn at the clay hole was dry and the river went straight and around the old river bed to the long flat pool where the school bus used to be just above the estuary.

And yes Griz man do I miss fishing the flats, estuary used to freeze over and we would watch the steelhead swim up under the ice as we were standing on it and wait for them to run that first set of rapids by the bus, man that was exciting in mid march..... early morning at the "silo pool in march and november were the best, best fishing I ever did.. park at josh's farm and walk across the field that is now the DSR parking lot.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

cNr1day

« Reply #6158 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Water temp of Lake O is still a bit above normal, which means if it does get cold, Lake Effect could get poppin'

SNAGGER

« Reply #6159 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:49 AM »
more warmth and no rain  :-\
http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news_team/blogs/weather/story/A-look-into-Thanksgiving-week-11-14-11/Q5DGJrkGUU6V5VsI84lcDQ.cspx

Makes you wonder what's in store for late Nov.-early December, those early lake effect storms pack alot of water content in the snow, one or two good events then a melt and this River's back to 750....or we could go into an early snowpack and be screwed til the January thaw.... We'll see...I'll be betting the Lake will take care of us soon enough......  ;)

This is right around the corner, thanksgiving weekend last year.....
                                     ..lake effect should be explosive this year early on.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishthefalls123

« Reply #6160 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Got home last night from a great 3 day trip with fishgalore and COD (Gillripper1). Friday went on a drift boat trip with northwoods. Started out a little slow with only missing 2 fish by about 9:30am. Moved down a ways and between us me and fishgalore went i think 2-3. One fish was my personal best Steelie at 9.5lbs. Gorgeous fish and one heck of a fight.Then after it slowed down we moved a bit father down river tried a few spots and nothing. Then we went to our final spot of the day and man did we put a hurting on them. landed a couple more good fish and with bobs personal best to boot. 8.5lbs steelie. Went about 5 for 10 and bob went 3- 7. Great day in my eyes. Saturday morning comes and we try the staircase, was fishing with a few guys from the lodge we were staying at and what a blast i went 3-5 that day and every one was doing good. bob went i belive 1-4. chris went i belive no shure how many landed but he had a great day as well also everyone else we fished with did great. Last day and we fished the OZ and was a tad slow but nice day out. i went 1-2 on brown trout with the one landed being about 7lbs. It was a great and amazing weekend and great times all around. I wanna thank Fishgalore for taking me again and thank shane for the accomidations and friendship. Everyone at the lodge was great and i hope to fish with all of you again very soon

SNAGGER

« Reply #6161 on: Nov 14, 2011, 11:21 AM »

It was nice meeting you fishthefalls.  Hey CNR keep an eye on those thunderstorms just southwest of Detroit Michigan , they are developing on a warm front just ahead of a cold front, that disturbance will be blowing through here this evening... I bet we get a good shot of rain this evening.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

griz104

« Reply #6162 on: Nov 14, 2011, 11:26 AM »
           When we had our flood last year, the papers and internet kept saying it was in March of 85, but I could swear it was the week between christmas and new years of 84, my friends were up here, and I came up the next weekend... What I remember is how the river changed course in 2 places, first the ball park, the river always flowed on the weir(where they collected salmon before the hatchery) side over by spring creek, then it jumped over to the ballpark side from the boat ramp to eye of the needle side, never was water on this side...went to the flats that year(DSR now) and the big turn at the clay hole was dry and the river went straight and around the old river bed to the long flat pool where the school bus used to be just above the estuary.

And yes Griz man do I miss fishing the flats, estuary used to freeze over and we would watch the steelhead swim up under the ice as we were standing on it and wait for them to run that first set of rapids by the bus, man that was exciting in mid march..... early morning at the "silo pool in march and november were the best, best fishing I ever did.. park at josh's farm and walk across the field that is now the DSR parking lot.

I remember crossing that field with 4-5 foot snowdrifts and wondering what in hell were we doing?? Bruce got the idea one time of taking a spade to break holes thru the ice and fishing thru them..You know how that went..But Bruce would try anything once!! And like you i would give anything to go back to those days!! maybe only got a few Steelhead a week but those still were the best days!!

timdog

« Reply #6163 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I don't remember the name but that's not saying I don't know him or didn't meet him.    I can't remember where I was 2 hours ago these days  :-\ ;D
  I used to work the sausage shack on the weekends from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening and consume adult beverages when time permitted !   With the number of people that moved through town on the weekend, I could have met Elvis Presley and have forgotten it !
  Frick & Fracks got a lot of our money  :whistling:   Loved it up there back then.    The money we made pouring snag hooks was crazy !    Walk them across the road to Ron's shop and he'd drop cash in our hands !    The good old days for sure !

Thats my time line as well shane .remember how flled in the town pool was across from nappa before the flood?... crazy

cNr1day

« Reply #6164 on: Nov 14, 2011, 12:08 PM »

It was nice meeting you fishthefalls.  Hey CNR keep an eye on those thunderstorms just southwest of Detroit Michigan , they are developing on a warm front just ahead of a cold front, that disturbance will be blowing through here this evening... I bet we get a good shot of rain this evening.

Here's hoping - we hardly have had any rain this month...a few nice rain events would do wonders for water levels everywhere

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.