FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084126 times)

fishhooker

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #6270 on: Nov 18, 2011, 03:46 AM »
I'm a steelhead junkie at heart.  Salmon are fun, and they can ruin a lot of anglers.  I was surprised to talk to so many people during salmon season that had never fished for steelhead, but haven't missed a run in years.
I'll be up first weekend in December. Bringing three noobies to the river, two of which have done the salmon thing, and one who's never fished the river at all.  The story I write on that trip will likely be an interesting one, as one of the noobies is my own mother. She's an avid fisher-woman, but has NEVER gotten into anything like a steel head before.  Should be an interesting time. I sure hope her first time there isn't a lesson in lake effect weather...
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

lpv89

« Reply #6271 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:28 AM »
I'm a steelhead junkie at heart.  Salmon are fun, and they can ruin a lot of anglers.  I was surprised to talk to so many people during salmon season that had never fished for steelhead, but haven't missed a run in years.
I'll be up first weekend in December. Bringing three noobies to the river, two of which have done the salmon thing, and one who's never fished the river at all.  The story I write on that trip will likely be an interesting one, as one of the noobies is my own mother. She's an avid fisher-woman, but has NEVER gotten into anything like a steel head before.  Should be an interesting time. I sure hope her first time there isn't a lesson in lake effect weather...

i hope so too! good luck to you. but the best way to learn to love it is when you hook into a monster during white out conditions
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #6272 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:11 AM »

Looks like the snow is about ready to end and move north, hopefully it stalls over the "Tug hill for a bit before weakening.

looking at the altmar parking lot out my window.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #6273 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:54 AM »

Just took some snow measurements...yesterday my car had 4 inches on it at midnight...cleared it , this morning it had 3 more...so 7 inches of slop, but the grounds warm ..... only 4inches on the ground, with some standing water under it in spots from it's extremely high moisture content.  If it warms fast enough tomorrow, could be an increase in the flows of Orwell and Trout brooks, not huge , but something. Also River temps will plummet with this snowmelt, could start making the bite more tricky....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #6274 on: Nov 18, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Yesterday, i decided to pay the $45 to everybodies favorite senator.  Only 5 cars in the lot at 6:30.  Maybe a dozen at noon.  I felt like i had almost the whole place to myself.  I decided to beef up my leader to 8lbs as i had broke off a lot of hot fish the week before on 6.   Had a good day!  Lost a monster of a colored-up domestic bow down low at first light.  Must've been 18+.  Got her close to shore and she rolled and whacked the leader on a rock.  Hot baits were blue bags early then glo-roe beads later.  The fishing wasn't hot and heavy.  Their was a front coming through with a little snow off-and-on all morning and into the early afternoon..  They would shut down for an hour or so and then you would get a 10-20 min window of action and then they would shut down again.  I picked at them from first light to 2:30. 

jona

« Reply #6275 on: Nov 18, 2011, 03:07 PM »
What a shame to see a fish handled like that in the video.  Idiot.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6276 on: Nov 18, 2011, 03:22 PM »
What a shame to see a fish handled like that in the video.  Idiot.

did you bother to read the part where he said the steelhead were kept?

jona

« Reply #6277 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:45 PM »
did you bother to read the part where he said the steelhead were kept?

Yep.  I'm referring to the brown at the beginning of the video that was thrown on the bank and wrestled, gilled in the air to show off, then thrown back with no reviving.  Also appears it was snagged, watch where he took the hook out of the fish.  If you're keeping a fish fine do what you gotta do, I have no problems with the steelhead.  If not, show it at least a little respect.  I thought for sure it was going to be a kept fish which would be fine.  That's exactly why there's so many dead steelhead and browns on the banks now.  That fish is one of the dead ones now, despite him saying it swam away fine.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6278 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:54 PM »
That's exactly why there's so many dead steelhead and browns on the banks now.

Ever fish creeks where no one fishes?   Notice there are dead trout there too?   Its called the rigors of spawning...especially the browns. The Brown but was back in the water in less than 30 seconds... 

Lets face it, you wouldn't say anything to that person if you were next to them on the river, so whats the point in calling him an idiot now?

jona

« Reply #6279 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Ever fish creeks where no one fishes?   Notice there are dead trout there too?   Its called the rigors of spawning...especially the browns. The Brown but was back in the water in less than 30 seconds... 

Lets face it, you wouldn't say anything to that person if you were next to them on the river, so whats the point in calling him an idiot now?

Actually, I HAVE!  And will continue to.  I use a lot more than idiot in person.  Last week I confronted a guy that had a snagged steelhead right in the butt.  He managed to stop it with his rope of line and bring it in backward for 50 yards, then started dragging it into a backwater area then onto rocks.  I said whoa buddy what the heck are you doing?  I told him to put it back in the water because a) I wasn't going to let him keep it, and b) there's no need to drag a fish on the rocks like that.  I took my camera out and said either I report you, or you put the fish back in and release it.  So yes, I will confront people in person as well as on here.

Kind of surprised and disappointed a person as respected as you would condone what he did... I'm assuming he's a friend of yours because I've never seen you handle a fish like that.

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #6280 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Its a brown trout not a newborn baby. GET OVER IT

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #6281 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:57 PM »
it would have been better if it was SC gilling it then putting it on a rope ::) ::)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #6282 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:21 PM »
had  some  fun  at  the  ball  diamond   went  there  to  get  out  of  the  oswego  wind  ...small  chrome  and  small  brown    i  bounced  them  off  the   rocks  when i  released  them   and  watched  them  swin  in  tight  circles  drifting   down  stream   ...sorry  no  video  ...
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishshack

« Reply #6283 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:41 PM »
:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

jona

« Reply #6284 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:10 PM »

Oh ok, yes I will. Sorry mom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum