FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084206 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #7215 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:51 AM »
and  i'm  all  about   tradition i  use  slinkys  on  my  noodle   rod  =)) 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #7216 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:51 AM »
 There was a couple guys grinning at a double lock up on bobbers and noodle rods downstream yesterday as 2 switch rodders upstream reeled 2 in the dorsal mouth... now if I accidentally reeled in a dorsal mouth steelhead with a spinning rod it would be world war 3, but it's exceptable in the LFZ because they wear Simms waders and drive escalades..

My point... it's time to get with the times..end the fly zones and let everyone up there, when you add weight your not fly fishing, change it to artificals only and catch and release, then we can all enjoy the resource together.
Good call Shane! When I fished there with Trap, we flyfished only with a few hookups. Guys with the weight and indies crushed them!!! Guess Trap and I need simms waders!! Trap, you buy the escalade bro!! I'll fish with you!! ;D--KP Titelines!!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

dimebrite

« Reply #7217 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Shane; I agree with you to an extent.... massive of amounts of weight on a fly rod is not fly fishing... but proper amounts can be fished effectively while still instilling the traditional aspect of it... for the fly zones; it wouldn't bother me if they went to regular regulations.... it would force many of the dumbos who have only fished up there to try the rest of the river; and yes it is pretty sickening to see all of the guys up there hooking up on their lift up at the end of their drifts... especially the indie guys... I use both fly and spin so I couldn't care either way...

Hey;I remember that time I ran in to you back in 97 in the Altmar... you were referring to the fly zone as the fly snagging zone...lmao... it is a big overlooked problem that goes on up there; but I will say its not everyone...some guys are doing it right...

Tight lines...

dimebrite

« Reply #7218 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:00 AM »
butt butt butt, when they "reach for the stars" and extend their arms others on da river are able to see their Simms Pro Guide label on their waders...

SNAGGER -- haha - I read your comment, we were basically thinkin the same thing but used different words.

p.s. If you think the SR Speytards get upset when a bobber guy hooks up, you should take a trip down to the Big D - the dry fly purists there really toss a hizzy fit when a float goes through "their hole"... I only fish the D a couple times a year, and must admit, it is almost as much fun pizzin off the Volvo/Escalade nitwits than catching fish. I actually had a few old guys yell at me because "me and my kind" have ruined tradition.

I told them they could either cry in the river, or go to the Catskill Fishing Museum to sniff bamboo and shed a tear in their single malt scotch.

paraphrasing Bugs Bunny - whadda bunch of maroons....

Draker... I refrain from even fishing the Delaware system because of its snobbery. I started fishing it right when cucci and nastazi just started their school on the west branch back in the early 90's. It was all down hill from there... I just don't get it; fishing is fishing.... I know a few guys who still fish the Delaware system religiously; I more or less snicker to myself when they talk yo me about it...

trapper2000

« Reply #7219 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:22 AM »
i  fish  the Delaware and  the  Beaverkill  and  enjoy  it  have  been  since  childhood ....  i'm  not  going  to  bend  to  a  volvo  or  saab  simms  wearing  orvis  carrying   goof  ball  .....  go  have  fun  and  enjoy  yourself  ;D

dimebrite

« Reply #7220 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Hey trap; I grew up fishing that system; great times were had; I personally have more fond memories of surrounding tribs like the calicoon,ten mile,mongaup and willowemoc... its been a while for me though... we usedto hit some hot breeder rainbows coming up the callicoon out of the Delaware in the early season... native brookie in the hike back to spots.... from what I hear though; the floods have taken their tolls on the spawning habitat in these creeks... tight lines man....

tinsucks

« Reply #7221 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:41 AM »
I really haven't noticed people fishing upstream of the bridge are any different than people fishing downstream of the bridge. There are a-holes, lifters, rippers, slobs, snobs and decent people on both sides of the bridge. Same with the dsr. I have no idea why there are fly zones but fifteen years ago I spent about the same money that I would spend on a new spin outfit and got a fly rod cause I wanted to fish up there....and I'm sure as hell not rich and drive a 10 year old toyota :)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #7222 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:57 AM »

I'm not picking on anybody tin .... dimebrite, just the whole river should be for everybody, if the DEC feels there should be a catch and release area, then fine, but let everyone fish it, not just a certain type of fisherman, that's just prejudice.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #7223 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:59 AM »

I'm not picking on anybody tin .... dimebrite, just the whole river should be for everybody, if the DEC feels there should be a catch and release area, then fine, but let everyone fish it, not just a certain type of fisherman, that's just prejudice.
good point

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #7224 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:04 AM »
good point

Yesterday I was fishing elbo to elbo with 5 spin guys..took a break, came back and one fly guy took up the whole run I was fishing, kind of pushed me into an area there was little fish holding, which is fine, it's free country and I know the fly guys are high matanence and take up alot of room, it would have been nice to go upstream and work my way into their area, but I can't. WHY NOT?  I don't understand it, they can fish where I fish....all my fish were in the mouth and I released every one quickly unharmed..makes no sense to me.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

tinsucks

« Reply #7225 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I agree with you shane. Again not sure how it ended up this way but say the word and I've got a fly setup you can have.

dimebrite

« Reply #7226 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:11 AM »
. for the fly zones; it wouldn't bother me if they went to regular regulations.... it would force many of the dumbos who have only fished up there to try the rest the restfish of thethe river.I use both fly and spin so I couldn't care either way...

Hey;I remember that time I ran in to you back in 97 in the Altmar... you were referring to the fly zone as the fly snagging zone...lmao... it is a big overlooked problem that goes on up there; but I will say its not everyone...some guys are doing it right...

Tight lines...

Snagger, I more or less agreed with ya here ;)

esox v

« Reply #7227 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:16 AM »
 Yesterday I was fishing elbo to elbo with 5 spin guys..took a break, came back and one fly guy took up the whole run I was fishing, kind of pushed me into an area there was little fish holding, which is fine, it's free country and I know the fly guys are high matanence and take up alot of room, it would have been nice to go upstream and work my way into their area, but I can't. WHY NOT?  I don't understand it, they can fish where I fish....all my fish were in the mouth and I released every one quickly unharmed..makes no sense to me.
Like I have said before....If your going to have a "fly fishing only zone" it should be the ONLY place on the river... you can fly fish... in all fairness or unfairness..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishhooker

« Reply #7228 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I really haven't noticed people fishing upstream of the bridge are any different than people fishing downstream of the bridge. There are a-holes, lifters, rippers, slobs, snobs and decent people on both sides of the bridge. Same with the dsr. I have no idea why there are fly zones but fifteen years ago I spent about the same money that I would spend on a new spin outfit and got a fly rod cause I wanted to fish up there....and I'm sure as hell not rich and drive a 10 year old toyota :)

It's the big famous rivers that bring out the A-hole fly guys, and those guys give the rest of us a bad name. I rarely fish with my fly rod on the Salmon River, but everywhere else I'm pretty much dedicated to the craft.  A lot of guys say they hate fly fishing but they probably haven't enjoyed a good evening surface bite on dry flies. There is nothing like it, and you'll never get the chance to experience it if you only fish the caviar-fed trout.

As far as spey goes...it was meant to swing and skate flies, not nymph. Most guys on SR just use them so they can yank harder than everyone else and get away with it. Some do swing though...but not many.

Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

trapper2000

« Reply #7229 on: Dec 18, 2011, 12:08 PM »
thats  not  right  either  esox  ....  i  DO  HONESTLY  FLYFISH ...  i  do not  want  any  ANY  special  waters   ANYWHERE !!!!  i  never  have  nor  will i  ever  support  any  special  waters  that  won't  allow  a  12  year old  the  same  rights  to  fish   beside  me  with his  zebco  202 !!!!  i  do  not  need  nor  do i  want a  handycap  .... i perfer  the  barrel  ,nija  or  cut  over  the  fly  section ...just  a  better  quility  of  people  !!!!  wheres  all  the  purest and  why  arn't  they   standing  up   for   bluntly  ripping  fish????

heck  i  was  haveing  fun  voicing  my  opinions   right  while  i  was  fishing  ....  and  it  wasn't  all of  them  ...but  at least  half  were  rippers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.