FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084097 times)

fishhooker

Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #7275 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Whoops! asked the wrong guy. sorry. 
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

fishgalore

« Reply #7276 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I stand to be corrected.. It was 8 fish not 10, sorry Snagger..

Real nice pics and some big boys by your buddy. I was thinking about this this morning when I saw the temps up there today. Its probably not a good idea to have the fish out of the water with these temps and if you do not for long at all. I'd bet the ice forms almost immediately on their skin. I'm not trying to criticize but if it appears so I guess that goes with me stating my opinion on the matter since I do see fish out of the water in these pics. I'd bet the hands get cold real fast once you wet them to handle the fish too! A dry towel is a must in this weather as well.
At any rate if you must have them out then it shouldn't be for long at all unless you are keeping 'em.

Did you find they recovered well on the release Frank?

esox v

« Reply #7277 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:24 PM »

Man Chris has been getting some slammers this year..good for him... ;D
He lost another big one on Saturday !!Bigger than the 32 1/2 or 34 1/2 in the pic... jumped a bunch of times and finially headed down and he couldn't turn it !! Wasn't a 20 but it was 16 +
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishgalore

« Reply #7278 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:28 PM »
a trained monkey could float fish with beads or sacks, but to learn a real style is a gift!!

I'm not getting involved in the other bs but I do take issue with the above comment. It certainly isn't as easy as it might appear IMO. I have a 13' St. Croix float rod and have found in my experience that properly setting the hook with a float rod  isn't as easy as you make it sound. I have lost more fish than landed with it at the SR and I've had enough on (including some bigger fish) that I never landed, not because they broke me off but because the hook came out. Conclusion, I didn't set the hook properly and it isn't so easy either. I believe Fishhooker (from Vermont) also made note of the adjustment that is required with this method. When I float with my spinning set up it's not an issue either only with the longer rod and CP reel. Once I get a bigger fish on then the adjustment will be how much drag to manually put on the reel to slow the fish down. Again, I don't believe that it's as easy as it sounds. JMO

esox v

« Reply #7279 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:32 PM »
IDK the weight w/o knowing the size of the guy and can't  really see if there's alot of arm extension--nice fish though chunky and love the red cheeks---I'd say 12ish.
 Yea...That fish was 12ish.......I can't remember if it was 32 1/2 or 34 1/2..... we measured it....I think I took the pic ??or Adam did......

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

fishgalore

« Reply #7280 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:36 PM »
 Yea...That fish 12ish.......I can't remember if it was 32 1/2 or 34 1/2..... we measured it....

12ish........at 34 1/2 it was heavier than that. Gillripper1's 32 1/2 was just over 12.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #7281 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:38 PM »
neoprene  is  neoprene    lol  long  as  yer   dry  and  warm  ....  personally  i  think  all  waders  suck  i  rather  have  some  light  weight   hip  boots  on.... 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #7282 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:03 PM »
IDK the weight w/o knowing the size of the guy and can't  really see if there's alot of arm extension--nice fish though chunky and love the red cheeks---I'd say 12ish.
its was 33 inches and had a tail handle probally 4 1/2 inches wide.  that fish was right around 14 lbs. he also was milking

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #7283 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:09 PM »
 Yea...That fish was 12ish.......I can't remember if it was 32 1/2 or 34 1/2..... we measured it....I think I took the pic ??or Adam did......
I took the pic . you whined that his gills where gonna freeze

esox v

« Reply #7284 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:25 PM »
I took the pic . you whined that his gills where gonna freeze
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: Yeah.... Good thing it wasnt 19 degrees !! 32 1/2 it is....

esox v

« Reply #7285 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:41 PM »

THIS IS 4 1/2 inches

l==============================================l

fishgalore

« Reply #7286 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:46 PM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: Yeah.... Good thing it wasnt 19 degrees !! 32 1/2 it is....

It got up to 20 by 11 am with a high of 26 on the day. The tail was more than 4 1/2" Adam..............esox just proved it. Probably twice that 4 1/2.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #7287 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:52 PM »
It got up to 20 by 11 am with a high of 26 on the day. The tail was more than 4 1/2" Adam..............esox just proved it. Probably twice that 4 1/2.

Key is having your camera ready...ask Monic, he wasn't ready with his.....so I tossed mine back into the river tonight, nice large red double bar too...

For the record, 4 degrees on my thermometer this morning.

man I want to say something about that 4 1/2 inches...... ;D  but I won't.....

uploading my video as we speak.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

esox v

« Reply #7288 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:59 PM »
The Base of the tail !!

esox v

« Reply #7289 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:01 PM »

man I want to say something about that 4 1/2 inches...... ;D  but I won't.....
:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: Are you saying Adam already knows what 4 1/2 inches looks like ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.