FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vegetable Gardens  (Read 5397 times)

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
Vegetable Gardens
« on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Whos startin one and what 'yas plantin?...this year I have Brandywine, Beefsteak, Roma, and Big Boy tomatoes, kirby cucumbers, sweet corn, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green peppers, garlic, dill, and parseley...of course I didnt plant them yet, but the seedlings are already 2" high...I fertilize with fish (go figure  ;D) , cow manure, compost and grass clippings...mighty fine soil and the nightwalkers love it too! added bonus bait!
    A Country Boy can Survive!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Vegetable Gardens
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:41 PM »
I grow a good size one every year.. To bad its still under snow... ;D ;D   Lots of tomatoes, early girl and beefsteaks and a couple yellow cherry tomato plants. About 65 plants in all..   Peppers are Bells, cherry and jalapeno, usually around 100 plants...  Than market more and burpless cucumbers, and a lot of green and yellow zucchini.   Along the fence I plant pumpkins and a couple different kinds of squash...    On the other end I have a spot to plant 3 different plantings of beans and peas..   We do a lot of canning and freeze a lot...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I usually only can tomatoes since they are so plentiful...everything else I eat!....more snow in the forecast here too....5" comin wednesday :o ;D

sparkie

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I do the usual stuff.  Last year just for giggles I bought some of the lemon cukes and tried them.  They look like a lemon, small and round and are quite prolific.  I planted mine on a tralis, since space is limited.  They vined and clung to the tralis with little help from me.  Still had cukes into the early days of October last year. Vines were still producing flowers into the last of September.  Each plant averaged around 8 cukes.  Planted hem the same time as the regular cukes.  Once the regular ones were done for the year the lemons became ripe.  Kept them for up to 2-3 weeks after the last pickin without refridgeration.  Since it's only me and the wife they are perfect. 

ole sam

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Have to plant one every year, wouldn't be summer without it.  Yep on Brandywine Tomatoes, a cherry tomatoe too.  Garlic and spinach I planted last fall are already doing well (though under a bit of snow); parsley and chives growing too.  My big favorite though is string beans - pole and bush varieties.

How do you use fish for fertilizer?   ???  I'm afraid I'll have every racoon in Luzerne County in there diggin them up at night.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I just bury the carcass...or a stockie trout whole  :rotflol:.... under 6" of soil at least....before I transplant into to garden I also dig the hole a little deeper and drop a fish in the hole, put the plants rootball right on top and cover up normally...just like the indians used to do! I know some people will put the fish carcasses into a bucket with a little water and epsom salt...it turns into an emulsion within a few weeks and spread it like manure..I never tried it that way tho...

ole sam

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Interesting!  I kept my ice fishing fish carcasses in a closed bucket outside and then dug them into the garden a couple weeks ago when the ground thawed.  I'll try doing the carcass under the transplant later this Spring (assuming I catch something).  Thanks!
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:17 AM »
what better free fertilizer than that? great source of nitrogen!

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I tilled up a new patch next to the main garden and going to plant some strawberries in there...I havent planted them in years, so Im looking forward to them.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:38 AM »
i plant tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers at the firehouse. gonna add some stuff this year. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

TheDL

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:46 AM »
man - I wish I could have a garden.  I have room, but no fence and I  live in a row of townhouses - my jerk neighbour has a very large dog that destroys everything in sight, and ruined my efforts last year.  I rent, so I can't put up a fence - tried using small posts/chicken wire around the garden last year and that got trashed.  Anyone got any clever ideas to keep a big german sheppard out of your yard/garden?
I've tried talking to them, and chasing it away everytime it comes over (daily) - but nothing seems to work?!
tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:45 AM »
instead of wire fence, why not use the wooden pressure treated lattice? thats a little sturdier.

TheDL

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011, 11:52 AM »
hmm...that's not bad - although I'm thinking that dog would just mow it over.  It's a big dumb dog that is not taken care of or trained at all (I love dogs).  The d**n thing tipped over by (large) bbq once :o
tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:42 PM »
wow...you better opt for the electric fence then!!!

OTIS

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Hook an extension cord up to your fence!

Whats everyones favorite type of tomatoes and peppers?

I'm thinking of planting a larger garden this year and would like to get several different types of tomatoes and peppers.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.