FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: muddy shallow river catfish  (Read 4941 times)

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
muddy shallow river catfish
« on: Jul 21, 2004, 11:45 PM »
how do u catch big catfish in a shallow muddy river like the big sioux river. Me and my friend have caught some channel and flathead catfish but nothing over a pound.
-cole

Trophy Hunter639

Re: muddy shallow river catfish
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:16 AM »
If you got suckers or goldeye try using 1- 1.5'' steaks guts and all on a slip rig or three-way rig and a 5/0 octupus hook for big channels and i'm pretty sure flatheads prefer live bait.The channel cat method should produce some of the largest channels in the river a bigger steak generally will produce a larger fish.

Stink Bait

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:26 AM »
Right now it might not be your  technique that is holding you back but time of day. I have not caught a cat in the last 3 weeks except for early in the morning up to about an hour after daylight or at dusk and after.

As far as fishing in rivers, look for holes and depressions. If you can find a hole that has a long flat on the upstream side of it the cats will wait just under the shelf to block themselves from the current and wait for food to be brought to them by the current like a conveyor belt. Some holes are better than others, if you can get away from the holes that get the most fishing pressure you will find more fish and bigger fish. This will take a little scouting on your part. Also, if you can find a hole with some snags, structure and trees that are hanging over the bank, you will find bigger and more fish; they love cover. They will also come out on the flats after dark to feed. Hope this helps you out.

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2004, 08:36 AM »
If you got suckers or goldeye try using 1- 1.5'' steaks guts and all on a slip rig or three-way rig and a 5/0 octupus hook for big channels and i'm pretty sure flatheads prefer live bait.The channel cat method should produce some of the largest channels in the river a bigger steak generally will produce a larger fish.
if we cut up like a 1 pound redhorse sucker would that work or a litle bullhead becuase thats mostly what we catch
-cole

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Awesome cut up the sucker for channels and use the little live bullhead for huge flatheads! That fresh sucker will work awesome it does here anyways. 8)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2004, 08:01 PM »
In a smaller river like the Big Sioux, you want to find the biggest, deepest holes in the areas that have plenty of areas with reduced current, and hopefully some kind of wood cover for flatheads. I would use chicken liver or cut pieces of sucker or other oily baitfish for channel cats. Flatheads want livebait almost exclusively. I would use 5 - 7" live suckers or bullheads. Big channels will also hit these baits as well. Find some holes that are at least 10 - 12 feet deep. Start fishing in the afternoon and fish well into the night. Channels bite all day, and flatheads hit better at night.

Tyler

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2004, 09:46 PM »
see "fishing pictures" top of forum... a lazy bite on the red river...only 2 fish under 15lb...channel cats......once we found the honey hole....took moisture from the bag of edible prawns....and the bite was on.......38-39 inchers order of the day.......grump...and this was not a great day.......trophyhunter.........trip on!!!!!! .....grump

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Grump that trip is definatly on my for sure must do list We have got to go!!

suskymusky

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Look for the deepest hole you can find in a few miles of river.If the water level is high I look for an inside bend where cats can get out of the current.For the channel cats try chicken liver or chunks of chub or sunfish. Live bluegills are great for both channels and flatheads.( make sure its legal where you fish)I like to use 2 or 3 " bluegills and sunnies.You can catch them on bread or pieces of worm on a size 14 hook.Good luck!
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

perchfisher

• waitin' for a bite
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2004, 03:35 PM »
sorry guys havent had time to try ur ideas :( my friend that i go with has been gone all week. last week we had no luck for cats just carp and bullheads.
-cole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.