FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Labor Day Weekend  (Read 1934 times)

Cider

Labor Day Weekend
« on: Aug 07, 2004, 09:50 AM »
Hey all,

I am planning a trip to Portsmouth, NH and on up to Kittery and Portland, ME area for Labor Day weekend.  Any suggestions for surf fishing for stripers or whatever can be caught from shore??

What do I need for gear and bait/lures??

I am not much of a saltwater fishermen and thought it would be fun to give it a try when we are out and about that weekend.  I just want to sit on a pail along the shore and see what I can come up with...

I might consider a half day charter boat if anyone can reccomend a decent on that will put me into lots of fish and not strip my wallet too clean!  I don't want to get on one of those boats that takes you on a sight-seeing trip and you catch a couple of complimentary fish.

Thanks for your advice!

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
Re: Labor Day Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2004, 06:51 AM »
Cider for surf fishing you should have a 10-12' rod with at least a med sized spinning reel.As far as tackle goes I use a sliding sinker rig on the main line with a barrel swivel tied to the end and then 18" of 30lb test leader with a 5/0 hook.And depending on how rough the surf is I'll use either a 2oz or 4oz pyrimid sinker.As far as bait goes I use mostly cut mackeral but have used herring,and surf clams as well.As for a half day fishing trip goes the bunny clark out of Ogunquit Me.is proberly your best bet.As a bonus Perkins cove where the Bunny Clark ties up has this walking path called the margional way which winds 2 miles along the Maine shore giving you some excellent picture opertunities for you and the mrs.PM me and we could hook up for an evening of surf fishing and eating.Bring the Mrs. along as we usally have a fire and plenty of food to eat as well.I'll also give you some suggestions on places to visit while your down on the shore.
Bubba

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.