FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My whatyamacallit list find .... car topper with pic  (Read 5520 times)

Blackduckin

Well I have been looking for a small aluminum car topper this spring. After looking at a few different boats for 300 to 400 bucks I wasn't finding anything in good shape or without a ton of peelling paint etc. Last week I was scanning gl and I found a add that said. 

"12ft aluminum Elgin boat. Has not been used and has been stored under porch for the last twenty years. In good shape $125.00"

So I sent an email saying I want this boat please call me and left my number. The gentleman called me back the next day and said come get it it's yours. So I bought it sight unseen. I figured I could at the worst get my 125 back. So today I went and picked it up. Its a Sears Elgin 12 ft aluminum in very nice condition. I stopped at the car wash on the way home, gave it a fast power wash and brought it home.  Notice the serial number on the tag it's # 5 for this model.  It's a 54 year old boat !!  It really made my fathers day. ;D ;D .Sometimes it pays to wait.. No more fishing from the canoe for me.

What do you guys think?

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
Re: My whatyamacallit list find .... car topper with pic
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2011, 07:56 PM »
sounds like a great buy most of those boats cost at least 200,  did you get the trailer with it to?  IF so you got a heck of a deal.  You will have to keep yours eyes open for an outboard,  I recently bought a small 14 foot car topper like yours and managed to find a early 70's 6 horse Johnson for 100 bucks,  the guy told me it would only fire on one cylinder and the tilt wouldn't work,  I cleaned the point readjusted a couple bolts on the tilt and the thing runs like its new,  there are deals out there if you take the time to look

PortageLaker

• Portage Lake Aroostook County
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2011, 08:31 PM »

Does that tag say 18 horsepower max ,now that would be a handul :o..congrats on the great deal ;D

vector06

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2011, 10:16 PM »
 Either 16 or 18... I cannot really tell. Hold onto her if you go max hp rating...lol..

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:42 AM »
Great find, a 9.9 is perfect but slap on a 15 if you want to water ski behind it as well. :D

Blackduckin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:48 AM »
No I had the trailer from my duck boat. I think it says 10 horse max.  I won't be setting any speed records I only have a 2.2 merc right now. lol.
Thanks for the comments.

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:21 AM »
your all set, enjoy.

Nor Easter

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2011, 08:30 AM »
I think it says 10 horse max.

Although it looks like 18HP because of a scratch, those old boats were rated for a 10HP if I remember correctly.

I knew of someone putting a 20 Merc on one back in the early 70's and he said it was fun while it lasted, which wasn't very long! It's surprising how many of us survived our youth...  ;)  

Have fun with it. Good find.

Sinnian

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Great find Ed!!!  Congratulations!

I just picked up an old gem myself from my Step-FIL, 1958 Ward Sea King 12' aluminum.  Not pretty like yours, but I don't care, and I doubt the fish care.  It fits in the back of my Taco, but still am undecided if I want to get a trailer for it ~ just seems easier/quicker to launch and take out if it was trailered.

Edit:

Just found out we have the same boat!  They were made by Angler Boat Company.

What a small world  ;D

http://www.martyonline.com/sears-elgin/
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

Blackduckin

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  I would like to find a 2 stroke 6 horse suzuki for it. I owned one before and loved that little motor.

Jeff , Thats a great link,   step back into time... back into time... ;)

duck

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2011, 07:48 PM »
2 downriggers, 2 lead core and 2 planer boards and you could easily be running 6 lines out of that boat easy!!!
Nice boat.
"Born to fish...forced to work!!"

gamefisher

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2011, 04:33 AM »
2 downriggers, 2 lead core and 2 planer boards and you could easily be running 6 lines out of that boat easy!!!
Nice boat.

Maybe so but he better have a lot skinnier friends than I do to have three guys in that thing to be legal and above water! :D

Dukdog

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:12 AM »
Great Catch!!!  I'd camo that baby right up and make a duck machine out of it!   That tag itself is probably work $125!

Dukdog

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2011, 06:17 AM »
I would like to find a 2 stroke 6 horse suzuki for it. I owned one before and loved that little motor.

Why not get a 4 stroke and not have to put up with the stink??   

Blackduckin

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2011, 03:27 PM »
My 6 never stunk!!!  Great little motor. sub zero duck hunting days started everytime second pull let it sit all year take it out in the fall to hunt  started right up second pull,,ran on a slow idel all day long  never a problem in 10 plus years.... 4 stroke kinda big and heavy,,, But we will see.  I change my mind rather easily..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.