FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NEW to me BOAT, more pics  (Read 4573 times)

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
NEW to me BOAT, more pics
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:03 PM »
well this is my first fishing boat besides small jon boats.......Starcraft 17.5" 65 horse merc......got a good deal on it ...only 700.....needs some TLC its a lil dirty and the points in the motor need to be replaced but he gave me the extra part to do it, alos hear that these motors are junk so if it turns out to be a problem ill just throw a new one on....and i need to get a bow mount trollin mtr.....these r just the CL ad photos...will take some more detailed pics tomorro in the daylight...im pretty hyped up to get i out on the Kank and lakes!!

wileyc3

• Here fishy fishy fishy...
Re: NEW to me BOAT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Looks like a heck of a deal even if the motor turns out not to be very good.stay with atleast a 50lb trolling motor i have a 16' alumacraft w/ a 60/40 merc jet on it and have a 55 minkota bow and i honestly would want a bigger but dont wanna jump up to a 24v set up. keep the boat as light as possible. { spoiled by being able to run in 3" of water } still say ya meade a good deal. good fishin to ya  ........................Wiley

Lifeguard

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:32 AM »
My Dad has a 1977 merc and it is amazing, you can't kill that thing.  That looks to be around the same vintage, so I wouldn't dismiss it as junk yet.  Hard to go wrong at that price.  Enjoy it, hopefully it treats you well.

Mrwiggler

• I'm going to miss her-oh,lookie there-i gotta bite
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:56 AM »
 :) Bad motor, or not, i think you made a real good deal. Trailer looks real decent. Enjoy it...!

bret

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:50 AM »
seems like a pretty good deal.  If it gets you out on the lakes and back to shore....definitely a good deal!

jiggineyes

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:33 AM »
If it doesn't become fish structure then thats a great deal..Little elbow grease and she look like new.

wallin

Re: NEW to me BOAT, more pics
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Any boats a good boat, fixer up and she will catch fish just like that $50,000 one.
Wallin

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Congratulations on the boat...    When I was young my dad had a boat with that same motor and it was a beast...   He ran that thing for like 30 years before he sold it..  If I were you I would take it to a good Merc mechanic and have him go through it....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Ya i was thinkin about down sizing the motor anyway would like to sell or trade it for a 20-35hp, i just dont need that big of a motor for what i plan on using it for, plus it will cut down on weight too

iceon

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:08 AM »
What years your StarCraft? I bought one down by Indy last year it's a 1971 16ft super deep vee and I put a 54lb trust trolling motor. runs it super nice....Iceon

Mrwiggler

• I'm going to miss her-oh,lookie there-i gotta bite
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Ryno, take a compression test on it, and that should basically tell you if it's worth putting any money in it..

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:06 AM »
What years your StarCraft? I bought one down by Indy last year it's a 1971 16ft super deep vee and I put a 54lb trust trolling motor. runs it super nice....Iceon
its an 1984..17'6''

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Ryno, take a compression test on it, and that should basically tell you if it's worth putting any money in it..
ya im gonna pull the motor off this weekend n get it on a stand and start messin with it

Hoosier

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2012, 06:20 AM »
Sweet lookin boat ya got there,some decent deck space too,Real good hit.. JT

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:37 PM »
WELLL......i found sum weak spots in the deck....soooo its in the garage now.....replacing all the decking and everything, re painting/carpeting and gonna make her look brand new.....will post pics of the whole project start to finish hopefully next weekend when shes done

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.