FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414390 times)

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2012, 09:16 AM »
the west wind is rippin pretty good now. the water temp. is going up. I hope they stay on the bottom also.   later...

Munson

« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Caught a limit of keepers under 18 inches and released 4 over 20 inches last night from the wall at App's Landing in Cleveland.
  Caught them the old fashioned way.  Big shiners under a lighted float.     Pretty cool seeing that green glob being pulled under the surface.
  There's some catfish swimming around that area too.   Caught 3 of those.

paulyum1616

« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2012, 10:44 AM »
buddy and I both got our limit shore casting last night, south shore. 730 till 9pm. fun night
Color of the stickbait made a bigger difference for us.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Cornell University Biologist Randy Jackson has said in the past that fishing for bass on their spawn beds has no impact on the bass fishery.  Now, this article:
http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/biologists-worried-about-round-gobies-ruining-oneida-lake-fishery/
Which way is it Randy?

reeleyz

« Reply #379 on: May 11, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Cornell University Biologist Randy Jackson has said in the past that fishing for bass on their spawn beds has no impact on the bass fishery.  Now, this article:
http://www.gofishn.com/gofishn/biologists-worried-about-round-gobies-ruining-oneida-lake-fishery/
Which way is it Randy?

In Randy's defense, his original stance was BEFORE round gobies were on the doorstep of Oneida Lake.

Once the gobies take hold in Oneida, catching and releasing bass off the beds will no doubt hurt the spawn. The local BASS folks are pushing hard to get Oneida opened up for catch and release even DURING the spawn.

I wonder if it will have a large impact. My guess is since the bass population is increasing now, it will probably just level off once the gobies get here.

jj7leaf

« Reply #380 on: May 11, 2012, 12:38 PM »
buddy and I both got our limit shore casting last night, south shore. 730 till 9pm. fun night
Color of the stickbait made a bigger difference for us.

So what color was hot last night?

Last weekend I found that shallow shad raps in black/silver were better on friday but that thundersticks in madflash finishes were better on saturday night.  Couple follows but couldn't get a second sniff on the SSR saturday.
Also fished totally different sections of the lake both nights.

Spikehorn11

« Reply #381 on: May 11, 2012, 12:55 PM »

Last weekend I found that shallow shad raps in black/silver were better on friday but that thundersticks in madflash finishes were better on saturday night.  Couple follows but couldn't get a second sniff on the SSR saturday.

I'm having luck with anything with a white belly but my go to color is black/silver original floating Rapala.

Munson

« Reply #382 on: May 11, 2012, 01:12 PM »

4 inch golden shiner !:)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #383 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46 PM »

blue/silver /organge belly..#10 husky.  never leaves one rod all season.  Jerk it hard, it suspends, aggressive hit usually occurs at rest.

I see your your taking a different approach Munson, good stuff, actually last night after limiting on my go to stick, I switched to jigging, an over sized hook..1/8 oz. jig to get a different bite, I like the jig bite better than tossing sticks. Don't get one on every cast like my buddy was doing last night, but a much better bite when they do hit, get to drill em when they suck it in. I like that. ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Munson

« Reply #384 on: May 11, 2012, 03:02 PM »
 blue/silver /organge belly..#10 husky.  never leaves one rod all season.  Jerk it hard, it suspends, aggressive hit usually occurs at rest.

I see your your taking a different approach Munson, good stuff, actually last night after limiting on my go to stick, I switched to jigging, an over sized hook..1/8 oz. jig to get a different bite, I like the jig bite better than tossing sticks. Don't get one on every cast like my buddy was doing last night, but a much better bite when they do hit, get to drill em when they suck it in. I like that. ;D
Sometimes, you just need to take the simple approach, kick back and relax.  Last night was one of those nights for me.
  Back to the jigs tonight if the wind lets up a little.  Or, my buddy said the white perch bite is hot on the east end somewhere so we might go there so the kids can have some fun.

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #385 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Is it just me, or are the eye's running a little on the small side this yr. Been fishing from shore, but even the pics from the lake look like smaller fish.

KingPerch

« Reply #386 on: May 11, 2012, 03:29 PM »
OTIS....your mailbox is full! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #387 on: May 11, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Shane...your mailbox is full too!!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

reeleyz

« Reply #388 on: May 11, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Is it just me, or are the eye's running a little on the small side this yr. Been fishing from shore, but even the pics from the lake look like smaller fish.

I have been thinking the same thing. Where are all those 20" fish that we released this winter?

LOA

« Reply #389 on: May 11, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Do you guys jig from shore or just boats?

What size jigs for jigging from shore? I am not much for jigging, It always feels like im going to get hung up and usually do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.