FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414420 times)

gatorsin09

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #870 on: Jun 05, 2012, 09:16 PM »
went out tonight at 6 wind was blowing dead east. first past in 17 fow got 2 jumbo perch. so fat they were beasts. the wind died so went in to 10 fow and threw some stickbaits just a pickeral and white bass. ive never seen so many giant white bass theyre huge this year. i thought they were the white perch i was catching last year but theyre giant as big as alot of smallmouths. went back out the 20 fow when the wind picked up and got nothing. just did 3 long tracks tonight as i dont have my gps/sonar on the new boat yet. first skunk of the year on eyes down west but still had a great time on the new scout.

filetandrelease

« Reply #871 on: Jun 05, 2012, 09:42 PM »

some of those white bass are brutes for sure how about some pics of those ,on this page it is mostly eyes and sunnies and the occasional yellow perch

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #872 on: Jun 05, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Spent the weekend rigging up my new boat. I'm in heaven boys ... at least til July (that's when the payments start, LoL). Been putting in lots of hours at work, as well, but should be getting her wet tomorrow morning. One of the things I did was I put a HDS-5x up at the bow and connected it to my HDS-5 at the console by ethernet ... so if you fish with me ... you'll be able to see what I see on the graph. Mainly it was to keep my girlfriend quiet. She's constantly asking how deep we are and if we are going up hill or down hill.

Hey limit of 3 ... don't be too hard on yourself. You can't figure it all out instantly ... believe me. I've been fishing that lake for over 20 years, and I'll guarantee that I have logged in many more fishless days than not. Don't over-think things. Walleyes are more-or-less just big perch. Their brain is the size of a pea. In the beginning, I drifted nightcrawlers on a #4 hook and 3 way rig. From there I started pulling spinners (harnesses). By covering lots of water, I started to learn where walleyes hang out at different times of the year. You will see guys lift the jig hard and some guys lift soft. It all works at different times. Sometimes it matters ... sometimes it doesn't. You gotta find out what they want. Usually, in Oneida, if you find structure (humps, shoals, dumping grounds) in 18 to maybe 26 feet of water, there will be a walleye or two there. Find them with your depth finder. They should be starting to school up soon. Jig hard, jig soft, jig a bucktail, jig a sonar ... or just drift a worm with the wind til you figure them out. Good luck.

Hey Jim.....I so need to see that new boat of yours, not looking for a ride even. Just wanna check her out. WOOHOO ;D Congrats by the way.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #873 on: Jun 05, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Forgot my sport cam last nigh fishing with Sul, and coach on the west end out of Sul's boat. Took pics with my cell phone, but that's where I have a hard time remembering how to get them forwarded to photobucket. But here is the pics of them walters on the block, before the knife found them. We had a fun night with easy catching on the sonars. I had 2 fish in the bucket in 3 casts, then dropped a bunch, meanwhile Sully and Coach played catch up in short time. By the way Coach.....stop putting my productive jigs in your tackle box! :P Yup, I'm on to your antics now. Here is a pic or two.

Oh yeah, here is a pic of the next up and coming pro- fisherman.... KP JR. Coach and I had the opportunity to fish with them this past weekend.

Spikehorn11

« Reply #874 on: Jun 05, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Nice FM, Way to go!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #875 on: Jun 05, 2012, 11:35 PM »
Great shot of Jr.!! :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: I just got in from an hour of fishing in the canoe.  Ended up 6 for 8 on waldos.  Beautiful night with the full moon and scattered clouds! I gotta start posting pics!! All fish were caught on rapalas and jigs.  Was definately an hour well spent!  ;)
Nice job findin em

Munson

« Reply #876 on: Jun 06, 2012, 12:32 AM »
Had another great late afternoon and evening on the far west end of the lake .  Only issue was that those pesky walleyes kept interfering with our white bass and crappie fishing !  I'd catagorize them on the dumb fish list with largemouth bass right now based on the number we caught on anything that hit the water.
  The late afternoon white bass bite was hectic for a short time.  We got our fill of nice ones before moving down river a bit to some deep water submerged structure.   Just like my buddy predicted, the big white crappies were hanging just over the top of it !     What a blast !   Especially knowing that with the totally snagless drop shot rig that my buddy showed me how to make and fish, I'd never get stuck in the trees and stumps below us.
   Had a great time with the kids again !    A few pictures but not the best quality due to my inability to adjust the camera on my cell phone.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #877 on: Jun 06, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Had another great late afternoon and evening on the far west end of the lake .  Only issue was that those pesky walleyes kept interfering with our white bass and crappie fishing !  I'd catagorize them on the dumb fish list with largemouth bass right now based on the number we caught on anything that hit the water.
  The late afternoon white bass bite was hectic for a short time.  We got our fill of nice ones before moving down river a bit to some deep water submerged structure.   Just like my buddy predicted, the big white crappies were hanging just over the top of it !     What a blast !   Especially knowing that with the totally snagless drop shot rig that my buddy showed me how to make and fish, I'd never get stuck in the trees and stumps below us.
   Had a great time with the kids again !    A few pictures but not the best quality due to my inability to adjust the camera on my cell phone.

You are such a non-conformist. KEEP CATCHING THEM WHITES...PLEASE, BECAUSE THEY ARE SUCH SMART FISH, IT TAKES A PIECE OF POOP AND A #2 HOOK TO CATCH EM. NOW TRY TO TARGET SOME REAL GAME FISH, THEN SHOW PICS PLEASE.    FUNNY THAT I'VE NEVER MET A PERSON WITH THAT MUCH SUCCESS ON THE WHITE CRAPS ON ONEIDA. ESPECIALLY MY STOMPING GROUNDS....HMMM. SOUNDS LIKKE SENECA RIVER FISH TO ME...........THOSE PESKY WALLEYE......GIVE IT A BREAK PAL, THAT IS A FIRST FOR ME, TO HEAR SUCH NONSENSE. EITHER WAY, LOOKS LIKE FUN WAS HAD, CONGRATS ON THAT. BTH, HOW ABOUT SOME PICS OF THEM "PESKY" WALLEYE"

Munson

« Reply #878 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:04 AM »
You are such a non-conformist. KEEP CATCHING THEM WHITES...PLEASE, BECAUSE THEY ARE SUCH SMART FISH, IT TAKES A PIECE OF POOP AND A #2 HOOK TO CATCH EM. NOW TRY TO TARGET SOME REAL GAME FISH, THEN SHOW PICS PLEASE.    FUNNY THAT I'VE NEVER MET A PERSON WITH THAT MUCH SUCCESS ON THE WHITE CRAPS ON ONEIDA. ESPECIALLY MY STOMPING GROUNDS....HMMM. SOUNDS LIKKE SENECA RIVER FISH TO ME...........THOSE PESKY WALLEYE......GIVE IT A BREAK PAL, THAT IS A FIRST FOR ME, TO HEAR SUCH NONSENSE. EITHER WAY, LOOKS LIKE FUN WAS HAD, CONGRATS ON THAT. BTH, HOW ABOUT SOME PICS OF THEM "PESKY" WALLEYE"
Not to start an argument but why don't you go out and try to catch some big white bass in numbers and post some pictures ?
  Seems anyone who ventures out on the lake these days are catching walleyes fairly easy and steady.
 We tossed back every walleye we caught so no pictures were taken of them.  They go back unharmed when they're not the target specie.  My freezer is full .
   I'm new to the area but got lucky enough to meet a couple guys who know and have fished Oneida lake and river for years.  They've taught me more since I met them on the ice this past winter than I'd learn in 20 years on my own.    As far as the white crappies go, we never caught a black crappie in that latest flurry.    I was put on a spot where I was told there would be an abundance of white crappies and there were !    I can tell you this much, if you go to the mouth of Ess Kay boat yard on the river and cast small silver spoons into the marina and along the big pilings, you'll catch big white crappies !    Just don't go into the marina.
   The last time I was out with my buddy, we spotted some fish working the surface on the river.  They were white crappies.   We caught a bunch before the moved deep. 
  Don't know what else to tell you.   Springtime crappie fishing is mostly for black crappies form what I've witnessed around here .    White crappies are a different game.  I've learned that recently.   ;-)             
  Half day of work today.    Maybe we'll go catch a few walleyes just to please you.......................not !  :-)       We're having too much fun with other species right now !

coachwarner

« Reply #879 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:30 AM »
Forgot my sport cam last nigh fishing with Sul, and coach on the west end out of Sul's boat. Took pics with my cell phone, but that's where I have a hard time remembering how to get them forwarded to photobucket. But here is the pics of them walters on the block, before the knife found them. We had a fun night with easy catching on the sonars. I had 2 fish in the bucket in 3 casts, then dropped a bunch, meanwhile Sully and Coach played catch up in short time. By the way Coach.....stop putting my productive jigs in your tackle box! :P Yup, I'm on to your antics now. Here is a pic or two.
Geez, I thought we had a good system going, the productive stuff goes in my box, the non-productive goes back in your box ;D That way when you ask the same silly question "what did we use last time", I can just say "i dont know look in my box" :w00t: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

filetandrelease

« Reply #880 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:40 AM »

nice job on the white bass munson , and white crappies , and don't worry about the eyes we will try and help out with that  ;)

nice eyes FM and when are you going to test your self on day time eyes when they aren't so easy , i was told all you need is a stick and a net to get them at night  :w00t:  i'll have to get you out in the boat and show me how easy it is  :blink:  and coach told me that the only way your lures work is if he uses them  ;D

coachwarner

« Reply #881 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:57 AM »
nice job on the white bass munson , and white crappies , and don't worry about the eyes we will try and help out with that  ;)

nice eyes FM and when are you going to test your self on day time eyes when they aren't so easy , i was told all you need is a stick and a net to get them at night  :w00t:  i'll have to get you out in the boat and show me how easy it is  :blink:  and coach told me that the only way your lures work is if he uses them  ;D
Fred, do you really think you can get FM out during the day? Have fun with that!!!  :sleep1: :sleep1:  ;D

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

jj7leaf

« Reply #882 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:16 AM »

Wow, we really need this crap again on the board? 

It's ok for the "PAT ME ON THE BACK SO I FEEL DIFFERENT AND SPECIAL FROM ALL THE REST CLUB" to post up numbers,  pics, and tell whatever stories they want, but as soon as someone not in "THE CLUB" posts up some pictures of great results he has to get called out....? 

Munson, nice job on the fish.  I kept a bunch of whites last year that I labeled differently in my freezer, firm and very tasty, a little stronger than a walleye. 
I like Ddots suggestion of blackening them, I think I gotta find some this year and give that a try.

Good luck and keep up the pictures, I am stuck working in canada and only get to fish every other weekend so I  get a fix daily.

j

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #883 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:41 AM »

There was an article in NAFC this month connecting the White Bass to the Eyes , must be true  ;D ,JLeaf , there is a number of ways to enjoy them , being firmer than say a eye or a perch they hold up better in a chowda , IMO , or topped with a Ritz cracker crust and baked in a lemon / white wine / butter mix . Stuff em with Crab and Scallops and drizzle them with Hollandaise  :thumbup_smilie:

jj7leaf

« Reply #884 on: Jun 06, 2012, 06:43 AM »
Stuffed with Crab.....Yah man that's the ticket right there.

Now I gotta find some whites when I get home.

j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.