FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 415213 times)

filetandrelease

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #1470 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:23 PM »
neither did I, ill bet she dont do good on the freeway. they use them on the  Rio Grande against the Mexican drug cartel.

lol , but they are from Texas you know , imagine four of those things spraying bullits , and what a great fishing boat for those[Asian] flying carp , i want to book a charter for that  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1471 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:30 PM »
how many on here remember one year they had a 12" minimum length on eyes ?

and i remember the late 70's perch and eye fishing was outsanding but that was before the zebra mussles, lake was not clear a little brackish in color fish didnt get a real good look at the bait , hopefully they will start feeding and make people work for them a little harder

Here is an article from a paper a few weeks ago....   Read it all to get to the Oneida stuff..

Back in 1953, a New York State hunting license cost $2.25.

It was $2.25 for fishing, and $3.75 for a combination license, a savings of 75 cents. A big game tag was another $2.25. So, for six bucks you could get after all legal game and fish. Not bad, although a pack of Luckies was just 20 cents back then, a gallon of gas was about the same, a new house could be had for less than $10,000, and a new car for about $1,700.

In terms of real money, a license today probably is less expensive, I think.

Steve Payne, owner of Steve Payne Custom Rods in Cassville, sent me the 1953 New York Fish and Game Syllabus. It’s nearly 60 years old, so naturally a lot of the regulations in it seem strange, at least to me. You kind of wonder what the heck the guys who put that syllabus together were thinking.

For example, on opening day of any small game season, hunting was allowed only between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thereafter, it was 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. There had to be a reason, but you have to wonder what it was. Big game could be taken from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day of the open season.

Some of the regulations are pretty funny, like this one that jumped out at me under “Who Must Have Licenses”:

“Women over 16 are now required to have a license to fish.”

That wasn’t so in New York until, I believe, 1948. I’ve struggled with that one for a long time. What was the thinking behind that?

Seasons back then were generally less liberal than today, bag and creel limits often were far more generous and everything was pretty complicated. The trout season was from April 1 to September 10, and the hours were from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April 1 to May 15, then any hour for the remainder of the season. I’ve been trying to figure that one out, too. Also, the limit was five trout from April 1 to May 15, then 10 till the end of the season.

And there is this:

“The taking of all species of fish from waters inhabited by trout in the Counties of Oneida and Madison is prohibited from March 1 to the opening date of trout season.”

Walleyes were subject to some interesting regulations. The state-wide season was May 1 to March 1, but on many waters there was no closed season, no minimum length and no creel limit. The Niagara River was one of those waters. The walleye population there crashed in the 1960s, and there always has been the notion that industrial waste was the biggest reason, but there were all kinds of bass, sheephead, muskies, northern pike, silver bass, carp and panfish in the river. Do you think a century’s worth of everyone taking all the walleyes they could get of any size had anything to do with the decline? The same thing happened with the river’s tremendous number of huge sturgeon, which were pulled out of there in wagonloads for decades.

Back in 1953, a New York State hunting license cost $2.25.
It was $2.25 for fishing, and $3.75 for a combination license, a savings of 75 cents. A big game tag was another $2.25. So, for six bucks you could get after all legal game and fish. Not bad, although a pack of Luckies was just 20 cents back then, a gallon of gas was about the same, a new house could be had for less than $10,000, and a new car for about $1,700.
In terms of real money, a license today probably is less expensive, I think.
Steve Payne, owner of Steve Payne Custom Rods in Cassville, sent me the 1953 New York Fish and Game Syllabus. It’s nearly 60 years old, so naturally a lot of the regulations in it seem strange, at least to me. You kind of wonder what the heck the guys who put that syllabus together were thinking.
For example, on opening day of any small game season, hunting was allowed only between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thereafter, it was 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. There had to be a reason, but you have to wonder what it was. Big game could be taken from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day of the open season.
Some of the regulations are pretty funny, like this one that jumped out at me under “Who Must Have Licenses”:
“Women over 16 are now required to have a license to fish.”
That wasn’t so in New York until, I believe, 1948. I’ve struggled with that one for a long time. What was the thinking behind that?
Seasons back then were generally less liberal than today, bag and creel limits often were far more generous and everything was pretty complicated. The trout season was from April 1 to September 10, and the hours were from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April 1 to May 15, then any hour for the remainder of the season. I’ve been trying to figure that one out, too. Also, the limit was five trout from April 1 to May 15, then 10 till the end of the season.
And there is this:
“The taking of all species of fish from waters inhabited by trout in the Counties of Oneida and Madison is prohibited from March 1 to the opening date of trout season.”
Walleyes were subject to some interesting regulations. The state-wide season was May 1 to March 1, but on many waters there was no closed season, no minimum length and no creel limit. The Niagara River was one of those waters. The walleye population there crashed in the 1960s, and there always has been the notion that industrial waste was the biggest reason, but there were all kinds of bass, sheephead, muskies, northern pike, silver bass, carp and panfish in the river. Do you think a century’s worth of everyone taking all the walleyes they could get of any size had anything to do with the decline? The same thing happened with the river’s tremendous number of huge sturgeon, which were pulled out of there in wagonloads for decades.
There was a limit for walleyes on Oneida Lake – 15 fish of 12 inches or better, or 25 fish if two or more persons were fishing from the same boat. Could you imagine a good, knowledgeable angler working the lake? Several hundred fish a season would be possible. You can bet it was done many times.
Whitetail deer were a different story, probably a reflection of how recently they had returned to much of the state. With few exceptions, the bag limit was one buck. The season in the Adirondacks was five weeks. It was just over two weeks in the Catskills, and just seven days at the end of November in most of the rest of the state. The deer take that year was 29,352, all but about 300 of them adult bucks.
Certain critters were not so well protected, especially if they had reputations as fish and game killers. You could kill all the English sparrows, starlings, crows, purple grackles, kingfishers, cormorants, great horned owls, sharp-shinned hawks, Cooper’s hawks and goshawks you had a mind to. English sparrows and starlings are still on that list, along with rock pigeons and monk parakeets, but everything else is either protected or subject to regulated hunting.
It was a different day, yes. I’m sure many of the 1953 regulations were based on political and social considerations and possibly incomplete understanding of the biology of game fish and animals. You’d like to think that today’s rules have more lot of science and reason and thought behind them, even if there still are political and social pressures, but I don’t doubt some guy 50 or 60 years from now will take a look at the 2011-12 hunting and fishing guides and wonder what the heck we were thinking about.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #1472 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:42 PM »

thanks great read ,

Spikehorn11

« Reply #1473 on: Jul 05, 2012, 01:55 AM »

thanks great read ,

+1 very interesting. If someone wrote a book on the history of all the NY game laws i would by it.

Hollywood

« Reply #1474 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:33 AM »
Got checked by the DEC yesterday. Had a first timer on the boat with a license they got 2 hours before. Nice young guy, glad to see him out, I think this is like 4 DEC checks in 35 years now. We found our limits out in 32-36', had a most enjoyable trip  ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #1475 on: Jul 05, 2012, 05:47 AM »

did cubby have his guides licence  :w00t: last 2 times me and the misses got check it was cool hey filet and misses filet hold up your licences, how many fish you got ok see ya  ;D

OTIS

« Reply #1476 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Got checked by the DEC yesterday. Had a first timer on the boat with a license they got 2 hours before. Nice young guy, glad to see him out, I think this is like 4 DEC checks in 35 years now. We found our limits out in 32-36', had a most enjoyable trip  ;D

Sounds like the same guy that checked us out by 109 a couple weeks ago.  Really nice guy.  we showed him out licenses and he checked out fish and measured our smallest.  He was driving a beat to heck Boston Whaler.  I wish there was more money in the budget for these guys and gals!

We found them in 22 fow yesterday morning; no need to head out to the deep water.   We picked up a dozzen or so then headed in.  I figured being a holiday and temps in the 90's, it was going to turn into a zoo out there.  Way too much hot and stupid for me to deal with!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

reeleyz

« Reply #1477 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:26 AM »
They were either real nice or REAL tiny...I guess it is good to have a good population of younger fish too...a couple were real small maybe not even 6"s..."HOMIE HUMP"...ha ha I like that maybe I'll change the name in my GPS to that..LOL...there were ZERO boats near us and one boat moved in about 500 yards or more right before we picked up...thats how I like it most of the time... ;D

Nice job again on the eyes HUNT.

We made it out in the afternoon for a couple hours. We ended up with 11 eyes, 6 keepers, and a fat yellow. It was pretty quiet out there and HOT. Thank god for the nice breeze though.

These fish do seem very thin. I agree with SNAGGER and HOLLYWOOD, keep your limit every trip. It will only help the lake. There are plenty of people that love to eat walleyes so spread the love.  ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #1478 on: Jul 05, 2012, 07:39 AM »

what i noticed the smaller ones seemed to be in great shape , it was the bigger ones that seemed to be like axe handles

xc600

• ADK
« Reply #1479 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Do you guys think that the dead wallys I see floating around starved to death or maybe they were culled to death. I also feel the fishing was great in the 70's and early 80's. Stained water and lack of muscles meant for a healthier pop.

jlucky

« Reply #1480 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I think the limit in the 70s was 10 with a boat limit of 20. I think 10" was the size limit.
  I can't wait I am headed down Saturday for a week! Staying at 3 pines in North Bay. The fishing has been fantastic this year, I tell some oldtimers about it and they all say the same thing it's not like it was in the 70s and 80s.  I remember that we hardly fished during the day back then, we use to start listing for them from shore about 10pm and when we finally heard them feeding we would all run for our poles and start throwing stick baits. We would catch them for awhile then it would stop, for an hour or so then start up again. We also use to go out and night fish from boats usually in 30+ fow and just drop a nightcrawler to the bottom on a single hook. We had lantern brackets and hung the lanterns over the side first you would attract the bugs then the minnows. It was a great way to fish. I have tried that a bunch in recent years with no success. Has anybody had any luck night fishing from a boat?  Good luck!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #1481 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:03 AM »
I fished out of the north shore yesterday with a freind of mine. we got on the water at 5am  and fished 20'-28' of water. we ended up landing 9 eyes 3 were shorts and 5 bass. all the fish came on straight Brown and black and purple buck tails. we had limits by 7:30am or so. Water temp was 76 degrees and there was a nice stiff breeze out there. nice to get out there again  ;D

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #1482 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Sweet deal man!
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #1483 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Im debating whether to go out there this evening. I was gunna fish the south shore. If anybody can tell me what the waves are like today that would be good! Only have a 14 footer ;D
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #1484 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Im debating whether to go out there this evening. I was gunna fish the south shore. If anybody can tell me what the waves are like today that would be good! Only have a 14 footer ;D
nw wind 10 mph right now. about a 1' chop.   sully...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.