FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414559 times)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #2805 on: Oct 15, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Picked up a big zero last night too.  Was a few more weeds hitting than usual.  Anyone know what the dusk hour emergency was out by Dunhams?  Drew Air 1 and a couple rescue boats...

Yessir, A boat broke down mid-lake, with the wind and waves picking up, I guess a rescue was in order. Saw the boat get towed in, The waves were pretty wicked watching that unpowered boat rocking away.

Coltsx18

« Reply #2806 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Whoever fished with me on Sat night id yourself haha, if u can catch ur limit in 20 mins then you can show me some hints. Anyways PM me or something

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #2807 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Headin east in a few...report later
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2808 on: Oct 15, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Whoever fished with me on Sat night id yourself haha, if u can catch ur limit in 20 mins then you can show me some hints. Anyways PM me or something

it just happens that way sometimes , lots of nights one guy has just the right retrieve or movement that makes them hot i have spent many nights doing the watching game , just try and copy the guy that is catching thats the best you can do

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #2809 on: Oct 15, 2012, 07:22 PM »
zeroed tonight. got 1 pickeral, and 2 largemouths. going to try again on wednesday. water temp was 55.   later...

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2810 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Filet, I was the one who coltsx was talking about. It's taken me 25 years doing this every fall to get the intuitive feel for where to go under what conditions and what lure to throw and exactly what retrieve they want that particular night. I fish a lot, from Skaneateles lake to the St Lawrence to Otisco and Oneida and I can say without a doubt that walleyes are by far the most finicky and frustrating fish to figure out. Spent a ton of hours and endured a lot of cold, rainy, sometimes snowy, miserable nights to fine tune the techniques it takes to be consistently successful. It's that light but solid thump of a walleye hit in the dark, the atmosphere of quiet anticipation in the wee hours of the night, and of course a cold beer in hand and the sizzling of the fish in the fryer with the whole family waiting anxiously for that pile of golden brown fried goodness that keeps me going out in driving rain and wind and snow while everyone else huddles inside under blankets in front of the TV. Tight lines guys!

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #2811 on: Oct 15, 2012, 10:15 PM »
I got zeroed tonight too. I started at sylvan and waded out there for a bit. Then I fished the canal. I also fished godfreys and apps. TONS and i mean TONS of bait in the water. I had several casts having to take shad off my trebbles. I thought for sure I was gunna get into them over there at apps. Not a ton of popping going on out there either, which I thought was surprising with all of the bait that was there. I talked to one guy at the beach, he got one short. I was talking to a guy over at apps and he picked one up there before I got there and also picked one up in taft bay. I also fished out in front of a marina in constantia. Nadda. Hope to hear some better reports rolling in later on. I may wait it out a few days before I head back out. Tight lines guys.
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #2812 on: Oct 15, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Filet, I was the one who coltsx was talking about. It's taken me 25 years doing this every fall to get the intuitive feel for where to go under what conditions and what lure to throw and exactly what retrieve they want that particular night. I fish a lot, from Skaneateles lake to the St Lawrence to Otisco and Oneida and I can say without a doubt that walleyes are by far the most finicky and frustrating fish to figure out. Spent a ton of hours and endured a lot of cold, rainy, sometimes snowy, miserable nights to fine tune the techniques it takes to be consistently successful. It's that light but solid thump of a walleye hit in the dark, the atmosphere of quiet anticipation in the wee hours of the night, and of course a cold beer in hand and the sizzling of the fish in the fryer with the whole family waiting anxiously for that pile of golden brown fried goodness that keeps me going out in driving rain and wind and snow while everyone else huddles inside under blankets in front of the TV. Tight lines guys!

I love it. ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #2813 on: Oct 16, 2012, 04:50 AM »
I'm still fine tuning the shore thing ,glad to hear your doing well ,i feel the same way about the ice after 30+ yrs of fishing from the finger lakes to can. i think I'm starting to get a handle on it ,  but of course when it comes to the ice it's 5-6 days a week and some nasty weather , but it is quiet, and the boys let the ol buzzard take a noon time nap from time to time  ;) and maybe a high ball after the fishing is done, keep up the good work and post a few pics we all love to see them , :thumbup_smilie:

walleye1

« Reply #2814 on: Oct 16, 2012, 06:48 AM »

Very well said Sir!  8)

jhirsche

« Reply #2815 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to eat/can/smoke a shad?  No... I'm serious!  Why are we all wasting time on these fussy marble eyes when there's literally metric tons of food swimming in the water right at our feet.  Well, that's how it was last night anyway.  First time I've ever seen walleye popping shad right from my dock... I even took a few casts before I got in the boat.  This is in less than 3 FOW in the back of a weedy, muck bottomed bay.  I suspect the southeast wind of the last few days had a role in this, pushing these massive schools of shad back into the bay from the open lake. As usual... NW shore area.

Motored over to my favorite spot, watching the carnage unfold on the way... just eyes everywhere swirling and popping on the bait.  Same deal at the spot I went to... stupid amounts of bait in the water.  At several points, I swung my bait net through the water, and came up with at least a pound or more of these (presumed) yonug of the year shad.  Had a great night last Thursday, without the bait.  Kinda hoping the west wind blows them outta there.

Didn't get to pet 'ol marble eyes last night, but as stated above, confirmed the hook points are in good shape when the time comes, as every few casts produced a foul-hooked shad or two!

LittleBay

« Reply #2816 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Got to my spoy about 6:30pm first cast huge smallmouth, next few cast same thing lots of bait fish around, then at about 7:15 got a nice 19 inch wally  ;D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

walleye1

« Reply #2817 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:14 AM »
it just happens that way sometimes , lots of nights one guy has just the right retrieve or movement that makes them hot i have spent many nights doing the watching game , just try and copy the guy that is catching thats the best you can do

I'm going to beg to differ with you on that statement. I've found that whenever I try and mimic someone else's style it doesn't do me any good at all. To me that's showing lack of confidence in your own personal style and that's never a good thing. Of course I do understand that you rookies have to start somewhere.  ;) ;D  

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #2818 on: Oct 16, 2012, 01:17 PM »
 :rotflol:  Are you referring to Filet or Release with that statement - JK freddie  ;D
MO - I think we are all "rookies".  8)

I'm going to beg to differ with you on that statement. I've found that whenever I try and mimic someone else's style it doesn't do me any good at all. To me that's showing lack of confidence in your own personal style and that's never a good thing. Of course I do understand that you rookies have to start somewhere.  ;) ;D  
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

reeleyz

« Reply #2819 on: Oct 16, 2012, 01:48 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to eat/can/smoke a shad?  No... I'm serious!  Why are we all wasting time on these fussy marble eyes when there's literally metric tons of food swimming in the water right at our feet.  Well, that's how it was last night anyway.  First time I've ever seen walleye popping shad right from my dock... I even took a few casts before I got in the boat.  This is in less than 3 FOW in the back of a weedy, muck bottomed bay.  I suspect the southeast wind of the last few days had a role in this, pushing these massive schools of shad back into the bay from the open lake. As usual... NW shore area.

Motored over to my favorite spot, watching the carnage unfold on the way... just eyes everywhere swirling and popping on the bait.  Same deal at the spot I went to... stupid amounts of bait in the water.  At several points, I swung my bait net through the water, and came up with at least a pound or more of these (presumed) yonug of the year shad.  Had a great night last Thursday, without the bait.  Kinda hoping the west wind blows them outta there.

Didn't get to pet 'ol marble eyes last night, but as stated above, confirmed the hook points are in good shape when the time comes, as every few casts produced a foul-hooked shad or two!

I have smoked smelt before and they were great. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.