FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414555 times)

Dark Cloud

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #3330 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:34 AM »
i think i was with you that day.

Probably... Hope all is well with you Buddy.  8)
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

coachwarner

« Reply #3331 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:11 AM »
well got a nice pic of a 25" eye from the pes. of the NST last night it looks like it had been at the thanksgiving day buffet ,
It was a big fat turkey ;D

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
« Reply #3332 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:22 AM »
Very, very nice pile of perch! Thanks for the water temp report also. Do you vacuum seal those filets bound for the freezer? I got a vacuum sealer last year to try out and the 'eyes taste just about fresh caught after months in the freezer. Used to freeze in water but it takes up lots of room in the freezer. Again, very nice job on those hog perch.

Yeah ... sometimes I do vacuum seal them. I had a foodsaver that I bought when they first came out, and it finally bit the dust, so I got a new one and it pulls a better vacuum and seals the bag a whole lot better.

I also do a trick that keeps 'em fresh for a long time. Put your filets in a ziplock bag. Cover them with water. Close the ziplock, but leave a 1/2 inch un-sealed. Turn the bag so that the un-sealed corner is pointing straight up. Now, squeeze out all the water and air, and seal the last 1/2 inch shut without letting any air back in. If you do it right, there will be a vacuum on the bag, and any spaces in between the filets are covered by the little bit of water that is left.  No air = No freezer burn.

It is a spin-off of a trick the old-timers do with their smelts and bullhead up in Tupper Lake. They stack their fish in a cut-off cardboard milk jug and fill it with water, freezing their fish in a block of ice. Works. Some guys even do it with their venison.

coachwarner

« Reply #3333 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Nice job on the perch, Hollywood, Dad, Cubby and Hookinup.  :bowdown:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

coachwarner

« Reply #3334 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Yeah ... sometimes I do vacuum seal them. I had a foodsaver that I bought when they first came out, and it finally bit the dust, so I got a new one and it pulls a better vacuum and seals the bag a whole lot better.

I also do a trick that keeps 'em fresh for a long time. Put your filets in a ziplock bag. Cover them with water. Close the ziplock, but leave a 1/2 inch un-sealed. Turn the bag so that the un-sealed corner is pointing straight up. Now, squeeze out all the water and air, and seal the last 1/2 inch shut without letting any air back in. If you do it right, there will be a vacuum on the bag, and any spaces in between the filets are covered by the little bit of water that is left.  No air = No freezer burn.

It is a spin-off of a trick the old-timers do with their smelts and bullhead up in Tupper Lake. They stack their fish in a cut-off cardboard milk jug and fill it with water, freezing their fish in a block of ice. Works. Some guys even do it with their venison.
Ditto

filetandrelease

« Reply #3335 on: Nov 23, 2012, 01:47 PM »

thats the way i was taught freeze in water

KingPerch

« Reply #3336 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:05 PM »
My report for the day....while working on the north shore today, I saw hundreds of geese and ducks, a nice breeze from the east, the same fisherman who have been camped at the same spot for the 2nd week in a row, a couple eagles hovering and fishing the very spot the fishermen were fishing. Worked in my tee shirt for a few hours, then the sky filled up with clouds, got windy and the rain started. The sky WAS blue, the water is wet and the grass is still green....for now!! ;) Titelines!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

bcons

« Reply #3337 on: Nov 23, 2012, 02:45 PM »
My report for the day....while working on the north shore today, I saw hundreds of geese and ducks, a nice breeze from the east, the same fisherman who have been camped at the same spot for the 2nd week in a row, a couple eagles hovering and fishing the very spot the fishermen were fishing. Worked in my tee shirt for a few hours, then the sky filled up with clouds, got windy and the rain started. The sky WAS blue, the water is wet and the grass is still green....for now!! ;) Titelines!!--KP 8)

What a lousy report, this is a fishing site not a site about working in shortsleeves.  I'd expect one to post where you saw these men & eagles fishing.  Geez no info as to where you were when you witnessed this, no gps coords, maybe your post is better suited for tshirts.com.  :-* :-*

Nice weather forecast starting tonite!  Its looking like the best times are soon to be here!
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

filetandrelease

« Reply #3338 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:36 PM »
What a lousy report, this is a fishing site not a site about working in shortsleeves.  I'd expect one to post where you saw these men & eagles fishing.  Geez no info as to where you were when you witnessed this, no gps coords, maybe your post is better suited for tshirts.com.  :-* :-*

Nice weather forecast starting tonite!  Its looking like the best times are soon to be here!

sorry i have a little trouble with KP report cloudy and rain and blue sky all at the same time  ???

crappiekiller315

• whackin&stackin I LIKE TO EAT BASS
« Reply #3339 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:50 PM »
sorry i have a little trouble with KP report cloudy and rain and blue sky all at the same time  ???
[/quotmaybe its that green grass that's got him all confused  :w00t: :w00t:
do you think there would be less idiot's if it were not illegal to kill people!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm bass the other white meat!!!!!!

KingPerch

« Reply #3340 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:56 PM »

What part of they were fishing didn't you understand?? They were on the water.....I won't give up the spots where the eagles were fishing...they were there first!! ;) And, doing quite well today!! ;D  The weather was very nice mid- morning, and, I didn't say short sleeves either. I had on long sleeves!!!I have to give up a report daily or people will think we're being rediculous on here all the time!! I thought it was a legitimate report!!! Geez!!--KP 8)

Anything more you would like for me to clear up for you tonite??  :P No more reports from me!

KingPerch

« Reply #3341 on: Nov 23, 2012, 04:59 PM »
The sky WAS blue My friend, until it clouded up!! ;) Don't take much to confuse you 'Ol timers!! ;D

Old Timer

« Reply #3342 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:20 PM »
What he was saying was it cleared up cloudy and we had a warm frost....

KingPerch

« Reply #3343 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Thank you Old Timer for clearing this up!! ;)--KP 8)

filetandrelease

« Reply #3344 on: Nov 23, 2012, 05:22 PM »

us old guys got to stick together

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.