FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best mono--fishing line???  (Read 12598 times)

wny angler

best mono--fishing line???
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:12 AM »
whats the best monofiliment fishin line???
i use both stren and trilene in 6lb test and usualy have to replace the line after 3 or 4 outings--line seems to get stiff and comes off the reel (spinning) in tight coils and tangles easily (birds nests) after a few times out.

does anyone have any better luck with other brands of fishing line ??????????????????

suskymusky

Re: best mono--fishing line???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 10:28 AM »
Sound like you're using Trilene XT.I stick with Trilene XL because it has less memory and a small barrel swivel to prevent line twist.Try this tip.Take your spool off and soak it in a cup of hot water for 20 minutes or so. It eliminates all of the coiling  so the line comes off your spool smoothly.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:56 PM »
I like the Trilene XT and use 6lb on most of my spinning reels. I think the key is when you spool the reel, starting with the spool label up check for line twist after 10-12 turns of the handle. Give it slack and if it twists on its own turn the spool over and continue spooling. As long as you don't overfill the spool you won't have problems. I usually fish twice a week and XT will last all year.
If you get it spooled for you at a shop you have to count on them to do it right.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:47 PM »
i've tried alot of different mono, and when it comes to crunch time, stren original or clear blue. it stands up to alot of abuse and abrasion..guess its what i am comfortable with.  ::) ::) ::)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Stren Easy Cast is now made from Clear Blue. I  spooled up my panfish rods with 4lb...after a couple of dock fishing trips I'm generally pleased with it...at least in cold weather.

I like 6-8 lb green stren for the summer months.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

shark

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Stren used to be my line of choice, But over the years I went to trilene, Tried 4 pound stren on my tip downs this year and seemed to work good.

Shark

stream walker

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2004, 06:42 PM »
iv,e tried all the premium brands and no matter which i use i end up having to replace the line every 4 or 5 outings myself--i fish sunrise to sunset and catch a lot of trout-steelhead,they do a lot of spinning when you fight them and all day fishing seems to get the line water logged,that makes it stiff when it dries

now i just use stren low vis green

raleigh

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:40 PM »
The only line I will put on my reels now is (maxima ultra green) fishing line. I tryed several different lines through the years and all I got was snaped, tangeled,twisted messes >:(.  But maxima ultra green line made a big difference for me.

reubenpa

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:47 PM »
What I think is funny is that the 2001-2002 Bassmasters classic was won by fisshermen using Trilene, and Trilene made a big deal about it, the 2003 Ike used Stren and Stren makes a big deal out of it saying that only stren would have won that tourny...  Well, I think that it don't matter too much. I am a trilene guy, but I dont really see the dif, but I will only put trilene XT on my reels!!!!!!  I like the looks of it, and how it rolls off the tongue... Trilene.. YEA BaBy.. Stren  ,,,  bumm..  ugh... lol   ::) ::) :o ;D ;D ;D ;) :D :P :) ;D ;D ;)
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:42 AM »
All mono line takes on a memory and putting it on a spinning reel with a small spool adds to the frustration when on the water. If you are on the water and this begins to happen. What you need to do is strip off about 100yrds of line let the line float down the creek or hang behind the boat with no lures or anything hanging off the line. Then put the line between your fingers and reel it back onto the spool this will take out all the twists that are in the line. Sometimess you might have to do this more than once to get rid of the twists. Next take the line and stretch it and run your hand up and down the line to warm the mono this will eleminate memory twists. And it will limber the line to go back on the reel. Do this at home tie the line to something pull it tight almost to the breaking point and close your hand over the line rubbing it back and forth. This also will alow you to feel for nicks in the line to prevent breakoffs. This method helps alot during the colder days when you are out on the trout streams. It also can be done on the creeks you just need plenty of room to pull out enough line. Fly fisherman do this or should do this everytime they go out with their flyline it eleminates memory to the main flyline.
ColdFeet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

jigerjim

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:43 AM »
After I get home from fishen I spray my reel's with Blakemore's Reel magic.
All way's keep your line wet

Thor

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I highly recommend Silver Thread Excalibur.  It is a copolymer line, so thechnically it may not be a "mono", but it looks, feels and fishes like mono, only better, IMO.

This line is tremendously abrasion resistant and has low memory.  It costs a little bit more than mono (though not nearly as much as superlines), but I've found that I can go much longer between line changes than with regular mono.  Therefore, it's cost effective in the end.

Riverjet

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:21 PM »
Stren Extra Strength or plain old ande.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:51 PM »
 original stren clear blue 8 pound all the way ;D
tight lines, chuck

nuke1neil

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2004, 07:06 PM »
I have the best luck with Trilene XL also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.