FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleyes at nite  (Read 2937 times)

perchslayer37

walleyes at nite
« on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I've never fished for eyes at nite just wanted ur guys thoughts on what to use

waldo24

Re: walleyes at nite
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Walleyes can actually see their prey better at night.....which is how they feed better at night. Your question could bring a variety of different answers depending on what time of year your talking.

s

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Rapala F11's over weedbeds and along rocky shorelines. 

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:46 PM »
x-raps, huskyjerks, crankbaits, berkley baits, etc.

If you fish the rivers at night, you'll want a diving lure that float on the stop.  ;)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

perchslayer37

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:05 PM »
Im planning on going out friday nite

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2012, 03:55 AM »

it depends on the body of water you are fishig , one place i know of guys at night use no. 18 raps pulled so slow they barely wiggle, and another no.9 raps work very well and spinners to

Prchmike

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:28 AM »
I've fished alot of lures at night but right now I am on this Rapala Taildancer kick. I've been using a silver and black TD-7 in 12 to 15 fow trolling fast enough to get the lure near bottom but slow enough to allow it to run correctly. Don't think you have to use a bright colored lure at night. Walleyes see dark or natural colors just fine in clear water. Thats not to say that a firetger won't wake up some neutral fish at times. Good luck out there.
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

waldo24

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:32 AM »
As filet said it depends where your fishing??.....I'm guessing your referring to Oneida....well some buddies of mine did well just before dark out in the area of 119 trolling copper (willow leaf) dixie spinners....other buddies have caught them in the weeds over 10-15 ft of water casting crankbaits (ex.perch shad raps) I personally have caught my fish casting a dixie spinner (bullet weight-snap swivel-dixie spinner no longer then 18" long - I also cut the 2nd hook off for catching less weeds and use enough worm to cover hook and about an inch dangling from hook)....again this is just what I use. There alot of different ways to catch Oneida walleyes at night. Sometimes its as simple as a plain old hook,split shot and worm! Anyways good luck and let us know how you do!

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2012, 09:58 AM »
My only go-to nighttime walleye lure is a Jr. Thunderstick.

I prefer the rainbow trout pattern, but most folks swear by the usual silver and black...  Truth is, I don't think color makes one bit of difference at midnight.  It's 100% how it's used that matters.

I find that an ultra-slow retrieve or troll (backtroll or electric) fools the most Waldos.  As mentioned above, I prefer the lure to merely roll from side to side slowly, just inches beneath the surface.  A faster retreive produces the usual 'swagger' of a stickbait, but that just seems to attract bass more than walleye.

Slow and steady does it for me.  You don't feel the strike so much as you feel resistance.  Everything sort of stops when a Wallace grabs the treble.  Then you drive the hooks home and cross their eyeballs!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

STRIPERMANCL

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:03 PM »
hey jimmy i used to fish with a guy named jimmy thats all hey used rainbow trout pattern by thunder stick i mean storm .i seen him catch a lot of walleys on that color and brown trout color by storm . i am a rapla man my self black/silver size 11 does wonders. and dont forget the castmaster.

STRIPERMANCL

« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:08 PM »
from albany ny to

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2012, 09:43 AM »
hey jimmy i used to fish with a guy named jimmy thats all hey used rainbow trout pattern by thunder stick i mean storm .i seen him catch a lot of walleys on that color and brown trout color by storm . i am a rapla man my self black/silver size 11 does wonders. and dont forget the castmaster.

Maybe it's ME?  (I don't really look like "Joe Dirt"  :D)  Who knows!

(man, I hope there aren't TWO of me around here...  that would really suck for everybody)

I used to rely heavily on the Brown Trout Rapala on my downrigger (26ft) for late-summer and early-fall Walleye.  But these days I just leave them alone until late September when they are a little easier to find, and a little more eager to chase down a bait.  Casting the Jr Thunderstick from my dock, or slow-trolling it after dark (glowsticks taped to the rod tips placed in horizontal holders) seems more effective, and TONS more fun.

Even some of the chunkiest Waldos (25") would usually fail to trigger the downrigger release.  So I would end up dragging a fish around for who-knows-how-long until I check the line.  What sissies!!!

And yet, a random 10" bluegill or bass had zero trouble doing so.  I realized quickly that even big Walleye are pretty much wimps 99% of the time.  So far, out of dozens,  I have only had one Walleye give me a tussle, and that was a 23" fish on 4lb test and a 4' microlight rod.  And even then, it was equatable to a 1.5lb Smallie on the same tackle.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

rondog

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Maybe it's ME?  (I don't really look like "Joe Dirt"  :D)  Who knows!

(man, I hope there aren't TWO of me around here...  that would really suck for everybody)

I used to rely heavily on the Brown Trout Rapala on my downrigger (26ft) for late-summer and early-fall Walleye.  But these days I just leave them alone until late September when they are a little easier to find, and a little more eager to chase down a bait.  Casting the Jr Thunderstick from my dock, or slow-trolling it after dark (glowsticks taped to the rod tips placed in horizontal holders) seems more effective, and TONS more fun.

Even some of the chunkiest Waldos (25") would usually fail to trigger the downrigger release.  So I would end up dragging a fish around for who-knows-how-long until I check the line.  What sissies!!!

And yet, a random 10" bluegill or bass had zero trouble doing so.  I realized quickly that even big Walleye are pretty much wimps 99% of the time.  So far, out of dozens,  I have only had one Walleye give me a tussle, and that was a 23" fish on 4lb test and a 4' microlight rod.  And even then, it was equatable to a 1.5lb Smallie on the same tackle.

The reason most Walleyes don't trip the release is because when they grab onto it they usually swim with it.We use 12' Walley Mitchell rods out the side and 9' to 10 ' rods out the back , dragging bottom bouncers.When MOST of the fish hit is all you will see is a little more bend in the rods.As far as Walleyes at night,Do you think that they stop feeding during the day or maybe is it that they move a little bit from where they hunt at night  ;)

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2012, 11:52 AM »
As far as Walleyes at night,Do you think that they stop feeding during the day or maybe is it that they move a little bit from where they hunt at night  ;)

Nah, I catch walleye in less than 2ft of water sometimes on jigs...  Midday, mid summer, in sunny conditions.

But that is the exception far more than the norm.

I just figure that being nocturnal predators, they feed with a litte more reckless abandon in the shallows once the herons, otters and other predators are settled down for the evening.  My personal preference is to target big Smallies during the day, then sometimes do a little trolling after dark to bring in some dinner (Waldo).

Some people fish for food, others for the fight and the fun. 

I am surely in that latter category, so Smallies and Pike are my usual targets.  The walleye just show up in very odd places and very odd times on occasion  8)  No hate towards walleye or anything, I just find them to be an amazingly disappointing fighter, even when WELL over the legal keeping size.  But yeah, they are delicious!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.