FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Open Water Burbot at Flaming Gorge Question  (Read 1313 times)

akaakira

Open Water Burbot at Flaming Gorge Question
« on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I was wondering if any body knows how ice off, early spring fishing for burbot is at the Gorge? I saw a YouTube video where a Utah fisherman/TV host teamed up with a Wyoming guide, and were slaying them from a boat late fall of 2012. Looks like a blast. Wasn't sure if it was because it was pre or post spawn, or if it was because the burbot tend to be more active simply due to cold water temps? Anybody have some input? I want to go this year and do my part (also dying to try "poor man's lobster"), but I want to do it from my new boat. It's a fairly decent haul from where I'm at in Casper, so, I'd hate to waste my time and go at the wrong time of year.

trackerg

Re: Open Water Burbot at Flaming Gorge Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:54 AM »
That video was probably of Ashley Bonser. I believe he is the unofficial Flaming Gorge Expert on ling fishing! Goes by Fishley or Fishly on IS  I think. Look up Flaming Gorge Charters or Addictive Fishing and book a trip with him. You will learn a bunch.

drocks101

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2013, 07:50 PM »
If you are going to do it, I would do it really soon because you are right that they are more active when the water is cold. They are opposite of all of the other fish species. While most other fish are growing and being productive during the summer months, the burbot are being lazy and not feeding much. They are way past spawn time which usually happens in the middle of december to early january so we even past the post spawn. I would say you could have better luck fishing near sun up or sun down, since the burbot are very active at night and they tend to move up at night to feed in shallower water, but will drop back down in the day. I would try between 50 and a 100 feet. I have never tried fishing for them during the spring melt or from a boat, so most of my experience is from the hard water. I guess your best option is to at least try once and if you are not doing well, you can always chase some lakers. Good luck to you.

jailbreak

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:30 AM »
definately early ice off, and if you are fishing during the day, try a little deeper.  One spring we caught quite a few from the boat by the dam at boysen in 50 to 70 foot of water.  Jig head and minnow

akaakira

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Great info, guys...trying to figure out the "nature of the beast"...not really familiar with burbot habits...was thinking about leaving Casper at 2 pm or so, so I'm in the water just before sundown. It was Ashley...every time I watch that video, it cranks me up. I just might have to schedule a trip with him...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.