FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trout trolling???  (Read 4074 times)

dr.trout

trout trolling???
« on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Iam gona troll out of my kayak for a trout tournament here in nj on april 9, and was wondering a good way to troll out of my yak.I have only trolled a couple times and that was in a 26 foot boat for bass.But for trout trolling what is a good way.I already bout 1oz and 2oz trolling weights, becouse the lake is only about 15 feet deep at the deepest.What are good lures to use techiniqes, equipment,and ects.The trout are in the range from the common 10-16 inch. But there are about 200 stocked for the tournement in the range of 2-4lbs,With 4 trout being 8+lbs.I have a fishfinder and aquaview so locating them shouldnt be hard.But any suggestions im realy clueless  ??? . thanks   ;D

God Bless :flag:

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: trout trolling???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2005, 09:35 PM »
well in terms of  normal tackle, pulling small stickbaits or lake trolls will work, but also trolling with streamers will work also, the fish may be near the surface or suspended further down in the water column, yoiu will have to expereiment to find their level.

I would just paddle along steadily making a wide zig zag pattern, every once in a while speeding up for a short bit to trigger any followers into biting.  I would hazard a guess that someone on here has trolled for trout with kayaks before.

dr.trout

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Thanks i will try that.Like i said im rely clueless to kayak trolling and trolling freshwater.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Like bigred said;

Gang troll or Willow Leaf out the back with either a wedding ring tipped with a worm, or put a flatfish on about two feet of mono behind the willowleaf tipped with a worm. More line you let out, the deeper it goes. You will want to use a pretty heavy duty rod for this. You really can put anything on behind the willow leaf you want. I've even used a imitation leech before (woolly bugger). This will work as well.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

tinboat

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 01:53 PM »
If the lake is only 15 ft deep, you won't need the trolling weights, unless you want to drag the bottom :o.
Maybe a couple of splitshot if you really find the fish deep. I'd suggest starting out with 35 - 40 ft of line behind the yak, then experiment from there, letting out more line to go deeper.
The biggest thing about trolling in a kayak is that your speed won't be very fast, or very steady. Rig 6 - 8 lb test on your rod, put a good small swivel with crosslock on the end. Troll small Rapala's, (floating, sinking, or diving), any small spoon, in-line spinners, or streamer flies. I'd suggest running them right beside the yak so you can see at what speed they work best;  You can go with light line because fishing from a kayak you really have to try hard to over-pressure a fish to the boat, because the kayak will move towards the direction of the fish, due to the kayak's design to move easily through the water. This takes some of the pressure off of the line. If you can mount a rod holder it will make the paddling lots easier. Sounds like you'll have a full cockpit with the depth sounder and viewer; just remember that with the kayak you will have the advantage over the motor boats (gas & trolling) of stealth, so I'm not sure that the electronics in 15 ft of water will really help; with the sounder, you will only be looking at a small "spot" on the bottom (if I dragged out my geometry book, I could tell you exactly how small a spot, you'd be shocked!), but I'm sure some one has the tables floating around in their brain. Anyhow, fishing from a kayak is lots of fun, and you 'll get to see some things most people won't; I'd lose the electronics to lighten the boat, and be ready to get a little wet when you bring a fish along side. Good luck!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2005, 07:45 PM »
I find that trolling works well for trout, and that #6 panther martins are great lures for trolling. Also slow trolling a spinner rig with a nightcrawler works as well or better sometimes.
In shallow water, you don't need anything but the lure and to slow troll. When trolling in deep water you may need a leadcore line setup or even a downrigger.
If bigger trout over 16" are common, trolling jointed rapalas or countdowns works great. I've caught trout on everything from a #16 dry fly to a 4" topwater popper. The main thing is get a lure with good action running at the right speed at the right depth.

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:24 AM »
use a litlle cleo the rainbow patern they work good
Loren .W.

pondpro

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2006, 06:19 PM »
do you have rod holders?
Tommy G.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum