FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Trout at Christina Lake...Any Tips????  (Read 1381 times)

akaakira

Lake Trout at Christina Lake...Any Tips????
« on: Mar 24, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Was curious if anybody had any tips on catching the elusive Mack at Christina Lake in the Wind Rivers. Have caught very large (for cold water) Brookies, but never a Laker...Usually make the hike up to Atlantic for better brook, but haven't beat the 18" that the ex caught 8 years or so ago. Was wanting to get my dad out on the raft at Christina, and nail a Laker or two... Looking for pointers.... I used to go there at least once a year since '94...

er-e-is

Re: Lake Trout at Christina Lake...Any Tips????
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:58 PM »
I never fished Christina but I would try a 3" or 4" tube jig, white or chartreuse, tipped with a piece of sucker meat, bullhead or minnow. 30'- 60' or deeper. I don't know if you pack electronics with you. Look for points extending out from shore, drop offs, underwater humps. You can catch them anywhere in the water column, especially early inthe year when the water is cold, but you will consistently catch them pounding a jig on bottom.

wyofarmer

• MFF Mod Team
  • Rest in peace LT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2013, 08:43 AM »
The raft is your ticket. Take er-e-is's advice with the tube jigs. Plus there won't be any skeeters out on the water either.

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Was curious if anybody had any tips on catching the elusive Mack at Christina Lake in the Wind Rivers. Have caught very large (for cold water) Brookies, but never a Laker...Usually make the hike up to Atlantic for better brook, but haven't beat the 18" that the ex caught 8 years or so ago. Was wanting to get my dad out on the raft at Christina, and nail a Laker or two... Looking for pointers.... I used to go there at least once a year since '94...

I've caught lots of 'em in there from the bank throwing a spinner near the surface over rocks. If you can pack a little sucker, or happen to catch one from the lake, you can tip the spinner with it. I've found you don't have to go too deep, but the raft would be worth a shot! Good luck  ;)

er-e-is

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Also look around the shallows with a flashlight, after dark, you might find some bullheads. A fork on a stick = bait!

akaakira

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Very helpful info, guys. I'll try it. I figured jigging, but didn't consider tubes. I assumed that high mountain lakes were far different as far as fishing tactics, say as opposed to Flaming Gorge. I've heard they don't get as big, as well. Would bullheads be "legal" bait in that area? As far as sucker, I have seen  "sucker-bodied" fish in the stream-tried catching them, even, but assumed that they were whitefish. As far as the fish species listed for that lake and drainage, I have only seen Lake and Brook...which makes sense about the sucker... being non-game. I just didn't think that sucker could thrive at that elevation in that cold of water... So depth isn't necessarily an important factor in Christina?

er-e-is

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Check your regs, but bullheads/sculpin, should be legal. On this side of the mtn, they have to be dead. Whitefish are a game fish, thus illegal to use as bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.