FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spofford Lake ? Anyone interested in Ice Fishing  (Read 7149 times)

Tumper

Spofford Lake ? Anyone interested in Ice Fishing
« on: Jun 04, 2013, 05:52 AM »
Let your voice be heard: Upcoming F&G meeting

Fis 406.05 relative to fishing rules for other waterbodies to:
Amend paragraph (b), specific to Spofford Lake in Chesterfield, to open the lake to fishing
all year and to allow icefishing but with no more than 2 ice fishing devices and up to 6 cusk
fishing devices
See all new rules coming up http://www.wildnh.com/Legislative/NOTICES/Fish_rules_NOTICE_0513.pdf
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
Re: Spofford Lake ? Anyone interested in Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Never thought I would see this happen in my lifetime. That said I never thought I would see the Red Sox win the World Series either. This would become a very popular ice fishing spot for sure. Didn't know that there was cusk in there. What is the date for the meeting? Is the meeting at Region 4 in Keene?

Tumper

Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

jigchaser08

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2013, 05:01 PM »
oh man....i can only dream this happens!

nhpikeking

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2013, 11:06 PM »
I'll be at the meeting praying they open it up don't see why not
I've fished a million places and I've rocked em all

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2013, 07:26 AM »
I'll be at the meeting praying they open it up don't see why not

I think I know what you would target. Some good ones in there.

CJiceaddict

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2013, 07:47 AM »
I would have loved to have seen it when I lived down that way. I really doubt the property owners will let it happen unless something has changed. I believe this has been the holdup when it has been rumored in times past. (I could go on another quite long rant about that but maybe another day ::)

lake snake

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I would have loved to have seen it when I lived down that way. I really doubt the property owners will let it happen unless something has changed. I believe this has been the holdup when it has been rumored in times past. (I could go on another quite long rant about that but maybe another day ::)

I agree. I think the lake association will put up a big stink over this idea. I would be shocked if this goes through.

GraniteBass

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Just look at their website, they are naturally against ice fishing....

http://www.spoffordlakeassoc.org/

Best one is the concern for ice fishermen because of thin ice  ;D

nhpikeking

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Typical yuppie can't wait for the meeting
I've fished a million places and I've rocked em all

nh fishin fool

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Just look at their website, they are naturally against ice fishing....

http://www.spoffordlakeassoc.org/

Best one is the concern for ice fishermen because of thin ice  ;D

Their last point is interesting. Are they calling all ice fishermen criminals? That's a bit harsh. Perhaps they should think before they type :-)

gorilla head

• tbe back porch II
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Their last point is interesting. Are they calling all ice fishermen criminals? That's a bit harsh. Perhaps they should think before they type :-)
I won't make it to the meeting but I reply to their five reasons why they do not want us on the lake.
below their reasons are my  responses to their reasons.

1. Spofford Lake is a Class A Lake by act of the legislature and given this, has the  highest water quality designation in the State.  

2.Town and area residents, with the help of state agencies, spend significant time and money protecting the quality of the lake.  

3.We believe that ice fishing will expose Spofford Lake to substantial additional pollution sources, thus endangering water quality.

4. Because Spofford Lake is spring-fed, ice thickness varies significantly. Ice fishing will expose fishermen to hazards of thin ice.

5. By fishing Spofford Lake's springs in the winter, the breeder fish will be culled, diminishing the Lake's fishing stock for the coming year(s).

5. Ice fishing increases the likelihood of trespassing and attendant results (property damage/break-ins) at or near seasonal properties.

My responses are below

#1 ---   Is spofford lake the only lake that has that designation of water quality? I thought MerryMeeting  also has that rating. and if it does, why should Spofford be off limits in the winter and MerryMeeting be ok to fish in the winter?

That is an easy answer IT SHOULD NOT BE OFF LIMITS

#2 The Help of State agencies spend  Money protecting the lake?  Where do these STATE agencies obtain there money? That is also an easy answer from the people through fees such as fishing licenses, Boat registrations and the like. this is the publics lake not just the fortunate few that are lucky enough to afford the property around the lake.

RSA 271:20 State Water Jurisdiction
“All natural bodies of fresh water …are state‐owned public waters, and are held in trust by the state for public use …the state retains its existing jurisdiction over those bodies of water located on the borders of the state over which it has exercised such jurisdiction.”
Courts have not settled on one definition of public waters, but...
 Generally included:
 Tidal waters
 Lakes and ponds greater than 10 acres
 Navigable rivers

233-A:1 Definitions

Last revised 1992 § Leave a Comment

In this chapter:

I. “Board” means public water access advisory board established under this chapter.

II. “Department” means the fish and game department.

III. “Public access” means legal passage to any of the public waters of the state by way of designated contiguous land owned or controlled by a state agency, assuring that all members of the public shall have access to and use of the public waters for recreational purposes, as defined in RSA 271:20-a, I.

IV. “Public boat access area” means an area adjacent to a public body of water which is owned or controlled by the state, accessible to the public, and has been designated by the fish and game department as a boat launching area under the statewide public boat access program.

V. “Public bodies of water” means public waters as defined in RSA 271:20 and any impoundment of a stream, lake, pond, or tidal or marine waters of 10 acres or more, or any other body of water owned by the state or by a state agency or department.

#3 I believe that just saying that is not just cause. an Ice auger will not expel as much contaminants as a motor boat and a kicker motor, making winter fishing probably more safer to the lake.

#4 This reason is just a complete insult to the ice fisherman. Do they not realize spofford is not the only lake we fish in the winter?

That is just ridiculous. We do not need those people looking out for our safety, I think we do that on our own. another question is do they allow snow mobiles, ice skaters, or even cross country skiers on the lake in the winter? If so why are they not looking out for those people?  That reason doesn't wash at all.

#5  Now I guess the ice fisherman is a thief.  Have them answer this. does the lake freeze over as soon as the last seasonal land owners leave? I think there is a considerable amount of time that the lake is accessible to boat traffic that could lead to the theft and destruction of property as well.  I wonder if we the ice fisherman could join together and sue the Lake association for deformation of character/ Slander?

jigchaser08

« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2013, 11:49 PM »
Here is the letter i sent:

My name is Henry Moncrief I reside in Alstead NH.

I am in full support of allowing ice fishing on spofford lake in Chesterfield NH.

I am also in awe as to the spofford lake associations reasoning behind not allowing Ice fishing!

my rebuttal to all of their reasons are as follows:

1. Spofford Lake is a Class A Lake by act of the legislature and given this, has the  highest water quality designation in the State. 

My response:  Ok so what does this have to do with Ice Fishing exactly!?  The jet ski's and motor boats on the lake all summer cause less pollution than an ice auger?

2.Town and area residents, with the help of state agencies, spend significant time and money protecting the quality of the lake. 

My Response: I understand that you spend alot of Money preserving the lake...But how about us fisherman? Every legal fisherman in NH spends $35.00 to legally partake in fishing in the State of New Hampshire....Non residents even more! And this money goes directly to Fish and Game to assist paying for 1) STOCKING of Spofford Lake, and 2) Enforcing fish and game/marine laws on SPOFFORD LAKE

My question to the Spofford lake association is: So who exactly should be allowed to access the lake year round and enjoy it recreationally? Just the non fishing area residents? Seems to me that NH fisherman may just contribute a tad bit more to Spofford Lake then you realize.

3.We believe that ice fishing will expose Spofford Lake to substantial additional pollution sources, thus endangering water quality.

my response:  I understand you are worried about pollution the Lake....As i stated above, Don't you think the numerous motor boats and jet ski's that are on Spofford lake may contribute some sort of Pollution to the lake? I mean the hundreds if not thousands of visitors to the lake on a given summer may leave some trash, or other contaminants in the lake as well?

I know I ice fish ALOT. and I always leave a body of water cleaner than I found it. I dont need to do this, but I feel that it is the least I can do for being able to fish a given lake/pond/stream. 

My question to the Lake association is:  Where do they think the pollution will be coming from via Ice Fisherman? IF its power Ice augers....then we need to seriously consider banning motor boats and Jet ski's from the lake as well. Or if they want to compromise and the NH fisherman are feeling generous...maybe we should allow only hand/electric and propane augers while ice fishing Spofford Lake.

4. Because Spofford Lake is spring-fed, ice thickness varies significantly. Ice fishing will expose fishermen to hazards of thin ice.

My Response: I understand that the lake association is worried about Ice fisherman....They should also be worried about the cross country skiiers,snowshoer's and snowmobilers who are often on the lake on any given day. If this is there reasoning for not allowing Ice fishing...then we certainly should not allow any of the above mentioned activities.

5. By fishing Spofford Lake's springs in the winter, the breeder fish will be culled, diminishing the Lake's fishing stock for the coming year(s).

My Response: So not only is Spofford Lake association being stereotypical...but now they are fish scientists and biologists? What proof do they have that Ice fishing will cause a major plummet in the Lakes overall Fish population?  I would like to see this study or else it is just a blanket statement.

On another note, It is the job of the STATE EMPLOYED biologist and law makers to decide what and how many fish can be taken.. They can even place a slot or size restriction on fish to save the "breeder fish" from being culled.

5. Ice fishing increases the likelihood of trespassing and attendant results (property damage/break-ins) at or near seasonal properties.

My Response: I understand that the lake association feels that at least a small minority of Ice fisherman are thieves and criminals?!?!? I would also like to see a crime log and a competitive comparison for the state that shows Ice fisherman are more prone to break into a seasonal camp than an ordinary citizen.

IF ANYTHING, Ice fisherman are an extra set of eyes and ears on a lake to prevent or deter this from happening.

In short,

I hope the state finds this email to be short and to the point. After reviewing the Lake association's previously mentioned questions It is clear to me that they have one single agenda. The agenda to not allow Ice fishing on Spofford Lake. Their reason is not just, and the statements that they have made against Ice Fisherman as a whole group are absurd blanket statements with no scientific, criminal or quite frankly educated facts to support them. As an avid sportsman in this state who spends thousands annually on licenses, gear, registrations, fuel, food, hotel rooms, among other various expenses, and as a fisheries/wildlife conservation degree graduate,, I am truly disappointed in the statements that the Spofford Lake association has come forward with. I hope that Fish and Game considers this email when they decide whether or not to allow Ice fishing on Spofford Lake. To me the decision is an easy one...NH Fisherman pay for the right to fish the water, LET THEM DO IT!  My contact information is below for anyone who would like to discuss this matter further with me.

Thank you and best regards,

Henry Moncrief

Email: [email protected]

cell phone 603-209-0751

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Great response, Henry.
Hopefully the commissioners will take the sportsman's comments in to consideration.
Actually, I expect that F&G will lean towards allowing ice fishing on Spofford.
At least a few years ago, one of their goals was to maintain as much land & water open to sportsman as possible. I doubt that has changed.
It has to be a constant juggling act for them to mediate between landowners & outdoor recreation availability.
That said, it would seem that SpoffordLakeAssoc.org threw as much stuff against the wall in hopes that some might stick?

Dispy

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Sorry to not mention you Ron, I honestly forgot that you brought this subject to our attention months ago. Thanks for all your efforts in getting current efforts/information to our monitors :)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.