FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rainbows and how to ?  (Read 1803 times)

44 Degrees North

Rainbows and how to ?
« on: Apr 15, 2014, 02:44 AM »
So , we finally have a pond Downeast that has rainbows. It will be fishable in a weeks time. I'm going to troll it,flatline. I have never fished for them. there hasn't been a pond around here with this species in 40 to 45 years. I didn't bother with them back then, we had Atlantic salmon. So, any help as what to do will be greatly appreciated. Currently the plan is to fish as if I were trolling for salmon,flies and hardware on top.

pickeralman

Re: Rainbows and how to ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:15 AM »
There's quite a few guys who are trolling pros maybe they will chime in

Sinnian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:33 AM »
We usually fish for them 2-3 colors down year round.  Never tried on top ~ might work.  They're not fussy, but copper/orange works well ~ Speedy Shiner, etc.
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:51 AM »
power eggs from shore always works well. they hit the Thomas boyants good on the troll also. if ya have any pks try them too.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2014, 11:16 AM »
try spoons with pink, red and white, ive trolled a couple in small ponds just flatlining a daredevil with alot of line out

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2014, 12:22 PM »
green hornbergs, black woolybuggers, chartruese floating rapalas, roostertails in black, brown, green, red, or pink

Bigfish57

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Yup what they said. Real aggressive biters. This this of year hot fishing can be had in moving water and around brooks. They spawn in the spring.
Anthony

44 Degrees North

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Thanks guys. You have given me a start. Problem now is my salmon lake has opened up,wasn't expecting that for another week. Thanks again.  44

saltyshores

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Mrs. Saltyshores and I caught 5 rainbows in an hour last year on a flat calm April day by trolling 5 colors of lead with a dodger with the "secret stinger" fly I sent you, 44N. No pictures, so you may not believe it. Got them far from Washington and Hancock County.

lobsterman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2014, 08:08 AM »
try one color of lead out or about 50 yards on mono/floro and a medium copper and silver mooselook wobbler that works great also sutton spoons if you have any they are a rarity now.

tracker2011

• I'm NH piker on IceShanty
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I fish for Rainbow's all the time while flatlineing. I mostly use all copper #5 Sutton Spoon or an orange Hus-Lure with reflective tape on it. Last year I started using a orange Top Gun with Black dots and copper back. I need to get more of them for this year. I don't use lead core till the water warms up. I fish for Salmon using these lures as well with good luck.
Fishing is my first passion, just don't tell the wife!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.