FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MT guys, which one, Navionics or Lakemaster  (Read 5398 times)

Jim F

MT guys, which one, Navionics or Lakemaster
« on: Jun 29, 2014, 11:09 AM »
I'm sure htsi has been hashed around, but I would like ot here some first hand experience
from anyone who has access to both and see which one they liked better.
I have  Humminbird 587ciHD with the card slot, has the Unimap built it, but it doesn't show
underwater contours. I'm a little confused about this as I have seen some H-bird Unimaps show them.
I need a chip the show decent contours but I don't think I need the uber resolution of 1' contours.
I mostly fish Flathead, Whitefish, Middle Thompson & Bitteroot macs, & kokanee being primary targets.

Who likes what and why please

MTHank

Re: MT guys, which one, Navionics or Lakemaster
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I would also like to know which chip works for Montana, I do fish some of the smaller lakes. Bitterroot, MacGregor, Mary Ronan. I also have a Himminbird FF. Thanks for asking Jim!

Jim F

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Hank,
Mike (A-Able)  told me that he has used both and gives a slight edge to the Lakemaster.
He likes the shaded relief on the contours, easier to see.
Navionics offers free updates to their maps for one year, gimmick IMO
as I dont see a lake changing that much in a year  :D, at least lakes like Flathead

catgrizfans

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Jim you have brought up a good question. I have also been "fussing" for good GPS contour maps, mainly for ice fishing in my case. You are likely ahead of me on this but I found that neither Navionics or Lakemaster had the coverage of lakes I wanted for MT. Looks like in your case Navonics has Flathead & Upper Whitefish?  and Lakemaster shows Flathead and Little Bitterroot. I went into their western states version and looked under MT for both. They don't make things real user friendly on their web sites so might be that there is better coverage under a different $ level. There was a huge discussion on this subject on Ice Shanty year or so ago and a bunch of guys that knew much more than I do. Main point I think we need to be careful of the coverage before we drop over $100 for their chips.

Jim F

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2014, 09:32 AM »
and then, you can add the fact that with the proper fishfinder, you can actually record contours while you're motoring around and upload them
to their website and they add them to the maps.  ::)

you are spot on about both of their websites not being very "informative" about
a lot of stuff. and the whole HD thing with 1 foot contour lines? I can see that in smaller, shallower lakes,
but on Flathead? no way do I see that as being a bonus

d_smith84

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2014, 11:27 AM »
I use the navionics card in my lowrance and it works well. I really like the one foot contours they have for some lake like flathead but it is really poor for lakes that have not been mapped, all it shows is blue with no or few contour lines. Have not used the lake master maps so can't help there.

BFV

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:37 AM »
I use the Navionics + and it covers most of the bigger lakes I fish. I am currently recording when on little lakes so I can make my own charts for Lakemaster Auto Chart.

Jim F

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Lakemaster card has been ordered as of yesterday. Cabelas matched Amazon's price
but had to have it sent to the store as they where out. Anxiously waiting 8)

catgrizfans

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Good Jim. Sure you will, but be sure to let us know what you think of Lakemaster once you have had the time to take it for a few "spins". I am still procrastinating which at my age can be risky!!!!!!!!

Jim F

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Card arrived and is installed.
Little bit to learn how to set up the colors and such, but I think it will be a big helpful addition.
I like the fact that with a color fish finder, you can set up a a certain depth, and give it a"range"
like say 100 foot line, and give it a 5 foot range, then you have a bright green line that is 10 feet wide,
All you do to troll in a 100 feet +/- 5 feet is keep the boat in the green line.  No more guessing which way the bottom contours go.

Now to see if it has any accuracy.

Jason watts

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I always used navionics and seemed to work fine. Recently bought a new boat and it has hummingbird 998. Also has I pilot link so I got a lakemaster chip and have been surprised at detail and amount of lakes that are mapped

Jim F

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2015, 09:29 AM »
ok update time after a year of use.
The Lakemaster card has served me well, but I am finding that a lot of lakes I like are not on it,
Like Noxon. I have 2 slots in my finder, Navionics might be next, or, I may just go the way of the Nav app for my phone
and by maps as needed. Pretty reasonable to go that way, if you have a way
to keep you phone powered up on the boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.