FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shore fishing for eyes  (Read 3355 times)

Hood

Shore fishing for eyes
« on: Apr 26, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Hey guys, I have a spot to fish eyes where I caught  a few in the winter and was wondering how they will pattern differently in the coming month.  I caught fish in 20-25 FOW through the ice, will the fish be in  the same general area or elsewhere? it is a deep channel in a river that bottoms out around 35 ft and has some shallower flats around 10-12 ft. Also what techniques would you recommend as far as fishing from shore? 

Hood                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

UPSTATE

Re: Shore fishing for eyes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:15 PM »
 I would bottom bounce some jigs or live bait around some structure
just tryin to get her done

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:34 PM »
Fish the shallower flats that are rocky at dusk/night with jerkbaits, live bait, and jigheads tipped with minnows or worms.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2005, 08:59 PM »
that sounds an awfull lot like a deep hole i know on a murky champlain trib that stacks up with migrating eyes for the opener.  Try live minnows on jigheads and stickbaits, and also inline spinners.  There is a good chance you guys might not only get numbers but also get size, and also even some big toothies. Good luck!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Oh yeah, one more DEADLY shore lure that I somehow forgot to mention is the venerable RATTLETRAP or similiar copy.  Those fast sinking loud tight wiggling lipless cranks are going to put some eyes on the bank under most circumstances.  I have seen them produce over and over with some pretty fast retrieves thrown in but vary it up and give em a try during that last hour of daylight when the eyes go on the prowl. 

Thanks for mentioning the trap slipbob. I have found that lipless cranks like super spots and rat l traps are some of the best cranks period for walleyes. The 1/4 ounce models cast a long ways and attract a lot of attention. I like to sink them close to the bottom, then mostly reel them steadily with occasional pauses to let it sink for a couple seconds. Then I will rip it forward again with the rod tip. This really seems to trigger strikes from all species.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 04:48 PM »
All of my walleye experience comes from shore fishing because the only reservoir with a good population of them is no body contact. (used to icefish this lake, but not allowed anymore either). I do have a few key presentations though, that produce well.
1)Spoons: I like to snap jig them, also called rip jigging but more known as snap jigging. 3/8 oz is my fav. and I used crocodiles last year, but this year I want to use the buckshot rattlespoon because it rattles and has amazing action. These are best on rocky points or gravel bottoms.
2) Curly tail grubs: 3 or 4" models. Usually you want to fish these by just casting them out and reeling them in, to where they just barely are ticking bottom. Sometimes an erratic retrieve works well though. These work best on the dam and very rocky areas.
3) Rattle trap: If the walleyes are on the flats, this is perhaps the best presentation. I like 1/4 oz.  Cordell super spots were better but they discontinued most of the colors.
4) Rebel Crawdad crankbait: A walleye's main forage is crayfish. These work excellent on the dam. I want to try the new X rap though, it is a stickbait that casts out far, dives up to about 8 ft. deep, and suspends. Sounds excellent.

The spots you want to look for depend on the time of year. In spring, like may-early june, is the time of year I find walleyes on  flats a lot. I don't know why, but I'm guessing its because they are warmer than the dam or deeper dropoffs. In the summer, the dam is the best spot. Period. In the fall, I like to fish on rocky points that dropoff quickly, and nearby it is also a good idea to have a sandy bottom. Why walleyes like transistion bottoms in the fall, I don't know. But it has been my experience.

My typical walleye outing is 2-3 per evening, you must fish the evening bite. Very rarely do I catch a walleye from shore during midday. Colorado is especially tough for this because we are much higher in elevation (my lake is 6,000 ft.), and the sun is more intense. Best fishing is 20 minutes until sunset and 30 minutes after. For me, the morning bite has lasted longer because the sun is still trying to peak around our mountains, and our clouds around the mountains so it is less intense.

Hope this helps you but I don't think its anything new :-\

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 05:04 PM »
WOW! There's a lot of good advice here.
I have never caught a walleye from shore, but my GF's dad is a machine on the Genesee River. I've been with him as he pulled out one after another. I stand 10 ft. away with the same exact rig and catch nothing except suckers.
He does always take the best spot.  ;)

The rig we use is a wire spreader on a drop-shot weight.
I believe it's called a crappie rig. You can get them at W-M.
Use different bait for different conditions.

None of the lakes I'm familiar with have shore access that would provide a good shot at 'eyes, with the exception of maybe Conesus.

Hood

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 07:47 AM »
MAN, you guys are great, I just wanted a few tips and ideas and got a library!! It will be tough to try all these out on opening night but I will sure take a few with me.  It seems there are some recurring methods like raps and curly tails here so I will start with those and then try some of the more technical stuff like the spreader rigs and playing with live minnows and such.  I need to find where they are stacking up and then I can play around. Thanks to everyone who has added their knowledge and expertise  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.