FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canoe Repairs  (Read 749 times)

westernmas

Canoe Repairs
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Has anyone put on kevlar skid plates on their canoe/kayak?  After running the Westfield River canoe race and just 5-6 years of abuse the back end of my canoe is getting worn down.  I'd like to repair it before any leaking occurs.  I've researched kevlar skid plates online and there seems to be mixed opinions as to if they are necessary and if they add any drag.  If anyone knows of a place that I could bring it to get fixed for the right price I'd be open to that as well.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

Re: Canoe Repairs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I put them on my canoe with G-Flex, 4-5 years ago... They have held up great so far. Not hard to do and I don't race with it, but the drag is not noticeable. I paddle a Old Town Camper.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26 PM »
Havent done that but did have a worn down canoe with the same area of damage. I applied JB weld all over and it worked great.  Never scraped off or reopened!

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I put them on my canoe with G-Flex, 4-5 years ago... They have held up great so far. Not hard to do and I don't race with it, but the drag is not noticeable. I paddle a Old Town Camper.

Is it as easy as they make it seem on the youtube videos?  I'm not all that worried about drag since I just race in the novice races.  I'm more concerned with the skid plates staying on and not having to replace them after a few years since they are relatively pricey.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Mine are holding up fine, I think that the G-flex will give up first, then I will just glue them back on...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.