FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 526781 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #5070 on: Aug 16, 2023, 09:58 AM »
I learned long ago that if you aren't canning,  go easy on tomatoes. I only plant 1 cherry, 1 roma and 1 large variety. Still have too many since i dont can. I have a buddy that grows a lot of tomatoes but doesn't can either. He struggles to give them away. He's been taking the extras and throwing them along the side of country roads on his bike rides. Should be tomatoes everywhere next year.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5071 on: Aug 19, 2023, 10:37 AM »
So, a while back we had a get together and I made some salt potatoes. Had some left (uncooked) and they got left in the bag and somewhat forgotten. Well they sprouted so I decided to experiment and plant 3 in the trough planter. Well…….

Pulled the plants this morning and was totally surprised. Guess what some of my seed potatoes will be next year. At around $5 for 3 lbs ……it’s a real bargain. I’ll still plant some Norland reds, but the salt potatoes will go in the trough planter.or some other container.

I have another dozen growing in one of the beds.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5072 on: Aug 19, 2023, 04:09 PM »
That's cool Bob.
I love small salt taters.
With garlic of course!!!
Enjoy!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5073 on: Aug 20, 2023, 01:01 PM »
Yup! Garden tomatoes, zucchini, and ( low salt) potatoes for dinner with fresh herbs. And a side of Angus ribeye for me. Meat loaf burger for my Bride.

Love having time to cook!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #5074 on: Aug 20, 2023, 05:32 PM »
Just polished off a small venison roast with fresh potatoes, zucchini and sweet corn. All done on the grill. Nothing better than munching on your own home grown.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5075 on: Aug 20, 2023, 09:49 PM »
Made up a nice batch of salsa yesterday.
Froze four 2qt plastic containers and stuffed the 5th one in the fridge.
It really came out tasty.
A little bite, but not too bad.
One of my neighbors stopped by and tasted it and he said it was too hot for him, but Donna and I thought it was mild/medium.
We love salsa and make it 2-3X a year.
Good stuff.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5076 on: Aug 25, 2023, 12:32 PM »
Got peppers??  😎😎

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #5077 on: Aug 25, 2023, 01:41 PM »
cool!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5078 on: Aug 26, 2023, 07:22 AM »
Quite a haul there!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5079 on: Aug 29, 2023, 03:43 PM »
Garden salad fixings for tonight..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piscesman

« Reply #5080 on: Aug 29, 2023, 07:43 PM »
Nice looking peppers and veggies Dom. We have had an abundance of sweet banana peppers this year. Taste great and very crisp. Would we be successful in drying some seeds to grow plants next year? If so, then when to harvest them? TIA.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5081 on: Aug 30, 2023, 04:13 AM »
Sure you can Kim. 
 I. Would wait till a couple are over ripe and take the seeds…

piscesman

« Reply #5082 on: Aug 30, 2023, 05:07 AM »
Thanks Dom will do. I guess you could do that with any of the home-grown vegetables.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5083 on: Aug 30, 2023, 05:13 AM »
Yes sir.  When I dry seeds I use a piece of window screen and fold it over and put put the seeds in that.  Don’t rinse the slime off them.. Once dry put in an envelope and mark it …✌️✌️✌️

gotagetm

« Reply #5084 on: Aug 30, 2023, 05:53 AM »
Cool dom I think I'll try that also this year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.