FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Took the yak out  (Read 1727 times)

Yachtzy

Took the yak out
« on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:58 PM »
   So my wife squacked all last year and this spring she wanted a kayak. Well I got a basic one, and of course she only used it for a half a lap around the pond all year. So I did what any fisherman would do, pulled out the 3" hole saw and mounted two flush rod holders. Only fished out of it six times total. It's a lot of fun, but different. After fishing many years on my feet, sitting with your butt at water level takes a lot of getting used to.
   Did a couple yak tourneys this year, and saw some nice setups that guys have. They can be pricey, but they have a lot of upside to them. Just throw it in the truck and go. Another great thing is when you get back to shore and  stand back up on your two feet, good feeling!
   Got out for a couple hours after work and got 5 LM, biggest one was 5lb8oz, and 5 yellows, all on 1/2oz white double willow blades. I can't believe the perch hit this lure, they're vicious. They usually rob me of my $1 a piece big pike shiners thru the ice all day!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
Re: Took the yak out
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Nice looking bucketmouth Chris. Its amazing what the perch will hit. I have caught many on large blade baits when I did a bunch of bass fishing.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Baitbucket

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Sold my Hobie Outback with pedal drive after I got my boat. Kayak fishing is a blast, and can take them places boats cant get to.  Well done getting out.

Knot there yet

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2015, 07:05 AM »
How well has the weed kill done your pond. Looking forward to drilling some hole in it. Buch looks like it worked well. I'm gonna put in a couple fresh water trips before shrink wrapping boat for winter. Do you know when they block the ramp?
Did they stop allowing car topper and kayaks at putnumville res. ?

Yachtzy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:52 AM »
Sold my Hobie Outback with pedal drive after I got my boat. Kayak fishing is a blast, and can take them places boats cant get to.  Well done getting out.

That's what I'm looking at now Will, probably the most expensive brand out there, but very nice.

Yachtzy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:57 AM »
How well has the weed kill done your pond. Looking forward to drilling some hole in it. Buch looks like it worked well. I'm gonna put in a couple fresh water trips before shrink wrapping boat for winter. Do you know when they block the ramp?
Did they stop allowing car topper and kayaks at putnumville res. ?
That was at Flax Dave. I only caught 3 fish at my pond this year, between the weed killer and the white bucket brigade, the place is off again. I had 3 dozen shiners pulled from a slum bog, and they died within two days in a cage tied to my dock. Putnamville had the sign up for a couple years, it says everything but a flat bottom Jon boat is not allowed, so I bring the crawdad there when I go. The ramp will probably be blocked at Chebacco on Nov. 1st usually, place is loaded with coontail, tough fishing as usual.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Nice report Chris.

otzi thawed

• Sit up and show up!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Nice going! Great time of year to be a fisherman. No weekend warriors, bugs, less weeds and less askholes and the fish bite good. Just have to fight the leaves and pine needles where I fish.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Great fish...  Congratulations....   :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Yachtzy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Thanks guys.

Forgot to mention all fish were in 3' of water, around dead pads, nothing in the deep stuff.

Also pulled out the fall fishing hat, that might of helped! ;D

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2015, 09:35 PM »
.... Kayak fishing is a blast, and can take them places boats cant get to.  Well done getting out.

That's why I prefer kayaks over boats.
There are sections of the Charles River that are shallow weedy coves that ONLY kayaks and canoes can enter.
They are also home to some real monsters! (talking 5lber bass and 24"+ pickerel)

I will be fishing the Charles and Sudbury rivers for some monster fall picks!!!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Yachtzy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2015, 09:42 PM »
That's why I prefer kayaks over boats.
There are sections of the Charles River that are shallow weedy coves that ONLY kayaks and canoes can enter.
They are also home to some real monsters! (talking 5lber bass and 24"+ pickerel)

I will be fishing the Charles and Sudbury rivers for some monster fall picks!!!

There's pike in them there waters too! Not that easy to find, or land.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.