FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Kayak Bug  (Read 32979 times)

Spider1

Re: Kayak Bug
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2017, 05:40 AM »
yeah, but yer always askin me how deep the water is and what the temperature is, LMAO!!! yep, don't need too many bells and whistles, but bells and whistles are cool  8)  a lot of them you can make yourself, that's how most of them got invented anyway. If you don't have a milk crate, I got one for you. I think you said there was a trolly on it already and an anchor so you're good there. With most of the lakes we fish you really don't need a fish finder, yet ;)  an extra rod holder is good and you'll learn about all sorts of other gadgets you can add later. As for now, we just gotta get out and SLIME THAT YAK!!!!

chris458wm

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Funny you guys mentioned fish finders.  I was at Walmart in Dickson City the other day and they had two there, a Humming Bird Piranha Max 4 DI for $139.00 and a Huming Bird Piranha Max 197c for $99.00.  For those prices I thought one of them would be decent to get and was going to check them out online but never got around to it.  What do you guys think about these two?  Here's a link to them on Humming Bird's website if you want to check them out.

www.humminbird.com/Products/PIRANHAMAX-4-DI/

www.humminbird.com/Products/PiranhaMAX-197c/

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Chris I have had the 197 on my rowboat for  a long time and it works great...
For the extra 40 bucks I would get the other one... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

chris458wm

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50 AM »
Thanks Pal.  I guess I should've said in the beginning that I'm going to be use it on a row boat for anyone else who has some advice.  I know $40 isn't much more but what's the advantage to the Piranha Max 4 DI.  I was trying to figure out the differences on Humming Bird's website but I didn't understand much of what they were saying in the specs.

Spider1

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52 AM »
I would get the down image also. You can switch from dual frequency to DI. I have a Lowrance 4x elite chirp on my kayak and use the chirp sonar most of the time. The DI is good for identifying types of structure. A lot of the lakes I fish are just flat mud bottoms and I don't need the DI but it's nice to have when I want it.

chris458wm

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2017, 09:54 AM »
What is DI?  These  types of fish finders are new to me and I don't know anything about them.

chris458wm

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Looking at the pictures of their displays on Humming Bird's website the DI's display looks like it was taken with a camera, which I like a lot more, where as the 197c's display looks pixilated. 

Spider1

« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30 AM »
The sonar mode is more like the traditional graph that you think of but the modern ff's have colors and are a little easier to read not to mention more sensitive. The chirp that I have sends several frequencies down at a time so it can id things better. The DI is downscan imaging. It sends different frequencies down and creats a 2D image of whats down there, and it can be pretty exact. The sonar is good for basic structure and finding fish in the water column, the DI is not so hot at finding fish but great at identifying structure.

chris458wm

« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2017, 02:41 PM »
I'm not sure if I got the right or not but basically the DI can give you the nice picture as if the image was coming from a camera where as the 197c's picture is all pixally and the DI is better because the "picture" on the display is more accurate and it can be switched to the other mode which is more accurate in finding fish, in other words you get "everything" with the DI model?

CHEZ2

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2017, 05:00 PM »
yeah, but yer always askin me how deep the water is and what the temperature is, LMAO!!! yep, don't need too many bells and whistles, but bells and whistles are cool  8)  a lot of them you can make yourself, that's how most of them got invented anyway. If you don't have a milk crate, I got one for you. I think you said there was a trolly on it already and an anchor so you're good there. With most of the lakes we fish you really don't need a fish finder, yet ;)  an extra rod holder is good and you'll learn about all sorts of other gadgets you can add later. As for now, we just gotta get out and SLIME THAT YAK!!!!

CHEZ2

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2017, 05:01 PM »

I guess your right Spider.lol.

CHEZ2

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2017, 11:42 AM »

Great Yak Perry !!!!!
Good Luck.

Spider1

« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2017, 05:32 AM »
Chris, you're both over simplifying it and under simplifying it. Whatever "pixally" picture you see is probably just from advertisement or pictures of the product. I don't know the Humminbird finder you're talking about, I have a Lowrance, but the more modern ff's are pretty good and don't look pixelated. Also, the DI scan image doesn't look like a picture from a camera. They can look pretty sharp and you can tell pretty much just what you're looking at, but not like from a camera. Also, fish don't really show up very well in the DI. Basically, the sonar is for finding fish, the DI is for finding and identifying structure. And don't even get me started on SI!!!!!! LOL!!!

Spider1

« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2017, 05:42 AM »
Perry and I hit the water on Sunday for a few hours. It was cold and wet. Rained pretty much the whole time, then it sleeted, then it fricken snowed! Soooo, yeah, we weren't taking pictures. Took us a while to dial in what the stockers wanted. I was fishing with mealies at first, then lures, then realized they were stocked rainbows, not brookies so I hit the bottom with a powerbait. That was the ticket. Rutt did pretty much the same. I got a few rainbows and Rutt Slimed his yak with his first fish being a chubby rainbow as well. By around noon the shivers started in and we decided to call it a day. But I think Rutt likes his new craft, we just gotta decide on a new name cuz "the bath tub" just doesn't fit any more. ;D

RuttNutt

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2017, 11:33 AM »
Yeah, WNEP got the forecast wrong again!  ::)  Was only supposed to get down to 44 overnight. It was 41 at the house but when I got to PL at 7:30 it was 37 friggan degrees! Then the rain/sleet/Snow started!  :o  But it was the maiden voyage of the SSRuttNutt, so nothing was gonna deter me! LOL!  ;D 

You forgot to mention that as we were paddling to shore, the sun actually came out! When we left at noon the temp on the car thermometer read 42! (guess the sun warmed things up a bit!  ;) )

I was thinking I should have brought my flasher and just jigged off the side of the kayak with wax worms!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.