FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluegill Bag Proposal  (Read 4663 times)

Edge

FWCanoeFisher

Re: Bluegill Bag Proposal
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2019, 07:57 AM »
It's a start, the conversation can now take place.

Big Buck

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Thanks for the post!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:24 PM »
Add a daily bag limit of 25 for bluegill statewide. (312 IAC 9-7-14)

Bluegill are one of the most important sportfish in Indiana that draw anglers from a wide variety of backgrounds and demographics. The majority of anglers report bluegill as a top targeted species, and almost half of angler days reported within the state are targeted toward bluegill. Improvement of technology and rapid exchange of information through social media and message boards can result in more intense levels of harvest. A bag limit would prevent very intense harvest during times where potential impacts to the population are highest, such as ice fishing season or when fish are bedding. Studies of angling preferences and habits have shown that relatively few anglers would be impacted by the bag limit, and the majority of anglers were supportive of a bag limit for bluegill. The possession limit for bluegill would also be amended to allow for up to three (3) times the daily bag limit. A possession limit would not apply to individuals at their permanent residence when fish are processed in accordance with other laws. Vacationers and others fishing away from their home would be able to possess 75 bluegill in addition to other species of fish that can be legally harvested, like redear sunfish, crappie, and green sunfish.

We've been here before haven't we? For those of us that want this WE NEED to show up at the meetings and support this!  >:( >:( >:(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Is there a way to voice our opinion other than being at meeting. Write or email or text? Will it be open to public comments.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2019, 01:59 PM »
I believe you can do both and yes there should be public comments. I would suggest doing both.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MC_angler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Is there a way to voice our opinion other than being at meeting. Write or email or text? Will it be open to public comments.

Yes, it's in the link - Any comments related to these rule proposals can be sent to [email protected]

If you have opinions, send them to the email (reference the rule proposal in the subject line to be clear), show up to meetings, and comment whenever and wherever

Daybreak

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:34 PM »
I just left a bait shop about an hour ago.  A guy and his girlfriend/wife were in there talking to the owner about a new depthfinder.  He said he mainly fishes for "bluegill" and wanted to be able to find fish!  He ended up buying a $499, 7" Garmin w/ mapping.  I'd say he was serious about his bluegill.  I agree it's time for some limits.  We certainly have a lot of technology on our side.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:39 PM »
There's still a baitstore in Goshen?  Where is it? I know Ernie's is history.

Daybreak

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2019, 07:13 PM »
There's still a baitstore in Goshen?  Where is it? I know Ernie's is history.
I was at the Tackle Shack in Middlebury.  I don't think there is a bait store in Goshen since Ernie closed.  Wish someone would open one again. 
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Tim Bur

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 01:52 AM »
50 per person.  Reg gills. Why not and who wants to clean more than that.

fishinator

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29 AM »
I really don't know where I stand on this. What's the difference of a guy who fishes 5 days a week and keeps 25 every day or the guy that can only get out on a Saturday and keeps 125?  The only difference with a bag limit is the first guy would be legal.

sprkplug

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 07:48 PM »
50!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! there wouldn't be any left by july man!!! what are you thinking!!!!!! lol  we better regulate them better than that.  they only spawn by the millions several times a summer. 

booohooo he taking all MY fish!  lol

NE Indiana sure don't show any sign of over harvesting.  maybe in your area of the state its different?  the sacks of gills I see friends bring back from Michigan aren't any bigger(and a lot of times not as big) than the ones I pull from say -------- lake.

voice your opinions both ways fellas.  but I don't look for it go anywhere as in the past. you never know though these days.  its not always logic that they go with but the loudest complainers some times.

If they spawn by the “millions”, then surely there is no harm in naming the lake where you’re catching those big ones? That way everyone can take as many as they want.

Unfortunately, It’s a heck of a lot easier to fish down QUALITY, than it is quantity, where bluegills are concerned.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Well I sent my comments in and plan on attending a meeting near me.

Anyone else?

Badbrad2186

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Here in New York we have a 50 fish limit per guy per day. Then a 50 fish limit on perch. 25 Crappie. I have a couple spot I limit out on perch gills and crappie all.in same day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.