FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sawmill River in Montague and Two Streams in Colrain  (Read 125 times)

bogtrotter

Sawmill River in Montague and Two Streams in Colrain
« on: May 26, 2024, 04:54 PM »
I drove over the mountain to Montague and fished the Sawmill River in Montague.

The day was sunny, and about 85 degrees, and stream levels were on the low side.

I arrived in Montague a little before 12 noon, and started fishing by the South Street bridge, where I caught a 13" rainbow on my first cast, before wading downstream to the Center Street bridge.

Along the way, I picked up one 9" brookie.

Then I walked back along the streets to my car and had lunch, before driving further downstream to below the Bookmill.

Walking upstream (for a change), I reeled in two more brookies (one 9" and one 12") and another (16") rainbow, and also picked up three lost lures, by the two sets of "falls" below the Bookmill, before heading back to my car once more around 2:45 PM.

Finally, I drove to Colrain and briefly tried both the Green River and the North River.

Unfortunately, some kids were swimming in the best looking (i.e. deepest) spot on the Green, and the stream levels were just too low to do much good along the stretch that I tried on the North, so I called it a day, and headed home.

lowaccord66

Re: Sawmill River in Montague and Two Streams in Colrain
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 06:30 AM »
Thanks for the details on the green.  Ive been eyeing it for years.  My limited understanding is periods of higher water turn the bite on there.

I'll add that this time of year, big browns are often in a foot of water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.