FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tigers vs. regular muskies??  (Read 4162 times)

gunner1

Tigers vs. regular muskies??
« on: Jul 30, 2005, 05:32 PM »
Do you fish them the same or are there specific techniques? I had one (the first one ever in my life) bite off a spinnerbait at the boat last week and now I'm obsessed with catching the S.O.B!

NormS

Re: Tigers vs. regular muskies??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2005, 07:23 AM »
Tigers are generally fished the same way you would target full strain Muskies with 2 exception's. Unlike full strain fish Tigers never feed after dark. Larger Tigers like Pike prefer cooler water therefore in the Summer Tigers will generally hold deeper than full strain fish.
Good Luck and Good Fishing.
Norm

Hood

« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Tigers are generally fished the same way you would target full strain Muskies with 2 exception's. Unlike full strain fish Tigers never feed after dark. Larger Tigers like Pike prefer cooler water therefore in the Summer Tigers will generally hold deeper than full strain fish.
Norm
Have caught 2 Tigers in my life and the largest was caught in the pitch black. It took a zara spook fished off a rocky point that extended underwater with weeds on it as well, fish has a good story too.... Right before dark my buddy and I loaded a cooler with beers and tossed it into my canoe, a couple rods too so my grandma thought we were goin fishin, HA!! Around the point we went and proceeded to slug beers for the next 3-4 hours. Some time around 1am and many near dumpings as we stood in the canoe for relief, I had the great idea to actually fish. In a very drunken way I told my friend I saw a fish rise near a point the year before so we should go fish there. Paddled about a half mile to the point and I began to cast my spook, out of nowhere i hear a splash and my line comes tight, give and take a for a few mins and baotside came the Tiger, netted unhooked and released, estimated 35" 8-9 lbs?  Nearly dumped in the canoe with my buddy ( who had never fished much less been in a canoe before) as he held the flashlight and netted it. Not to put down what Norm said but from what I can remember they bite at night ;)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

NormS

« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2005, 08:39 AM »
That's the first one I ever heard of being taken after dark. Tigers eyes are more like Pikes than Muskie's so they dont see well in the dark and all esox are generally sight feeders. The noise and vibration from the surface plug definately got that fishes attention must have been a thrill!
Norm

Hood

« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2005, 09:18 AM »
Yup, I thought about it after the post considering a tiger is half and half pike/musky and how pike are tough to get at night.  The spook surely was the ticket to nabbing that fish  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Deposit

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2005, 01:41 PM »
A buddy of mine took a nice tiger at night with a simple popper

gunner1

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:36 PM »
Norm

What's the deepest you'd find them?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2005, 03:59 PM »
the tigers that I have seen caught all came on shallow sparsely weeded flats (3-5 FOW) during windy fall evenings.

NormS

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Ive gotten them on the lower edge of the thermocline 25- 30 ft in summer while at the same time the true strains I took were at 12 to 18 ft. In the fall Ive gotten them from surface to 44 ft deep. Spring they can be caught easily on the shallow flats and emerging beds in 3 to 8 ft. Okay let me rephrase my original statement "Tigers rarely feed actively at night" ...never say never!
Norm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.