FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help!! yellow Jackets  (Read 3175 times)

Chuckles

Help!! yellow Jackets
« on: Aug 11, 2005, 04:19 PM »
I've got a yellow jackets nest in an outside wall of my house.  They enter and exit between the concrete porch and the vertical siding. What would be the best way to get rid of them. An exterminator quoted me a price of $350 to $400.    Help!!

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
Re: Help!! yellow Jackets
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2005, 04:57 PM »
i cant guide you as to where to go to get it resolved, but i can tell you that your lucky you found the problem...
about 10 years ago my grandmother had quite a few bee's allways flying around in the house. she would kill them as she could, but to no avail, more would show up! this wasnt a good thing because several of our family members that were always at grandmas house were allergic to bee's, including grandma.
well, after some heavy duty research of the house, my dad had thought of something that he read in a paper or something. he borrowed a stethiscope (spelling), you know, the things doctors use to listen to your heart and lungs. anyways, he borrowed that the next day from a doctor friend and came to my grandmas. he started walking all the walls inside the house with the scope up to the wall. sure enough, came to an exterior wall and the thing was buzzing to beat all get out! he said that through the scope it sounded EXTREMELY loud, but just being inside the house you couldnt hear it at all!
so they called someone they knew that was a bee keeper and the guy comes to listen, he said you have a serious problem here! together they tarped off some of the house so that bees couldnt get into the rest of the house, he suited up and had a suit for my dad and they proceeded to tear into the wall.
what they found once inside was a hive almost the size of the entire wall, and this was on an average sized bedroom probably 10x12... so the wall wasnt small. it was like a pure black wall under there full of bees.
anyways, they got the bees out and hired a contractor to rebuild the wall and somehow seal or protect the house so that it couldnt happen again!

good luck, i hope your problem is no wheres as severe as that!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2005, 05:04 PM »
I here oil works pretty good. Pour some of that down into the crack. Other thing is to buy some of the bee killer stuff and spray it in there at night when all the bees are sleepy sleepy.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2005, 12:53 PM »
Chuck,

Just got rid of a nest at my Lake Trailer - Raid Hornet & Wasp killer.

raid hornet & wasp killer

You should be able to take care of the problem with one can for under 5$.

Locate the opening and saturate with the spray, note - it may take one-two applictions.  I would try this first, before dropping the money that could be used for a new ice shanty   ;D

Good luck,

Lindz

&  Bass

fishryc

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I've got a yellow jackets nest in an outside wall of my house.  They enter and exit between the concrete porch and the vertical siding. What would be the best way to get rid of them. An exterminator quoted me a price of $350 to $400.    Help!!

Several hours after dark, use a spray can of expanding foam insulation to seal them in. Get one with a straw accessort to the spray tip so you can get in deep. Dont worry if it expands and some shows thru the crack, when dry, you can trim it with a sharp razor or utility knife. This stuff does not come off your hands (or at least not until you shed the outer layer of your skin); must use gloves. Good luck
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

Hood

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Put some Windex! no really it kills em dead
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

bottomfeeder

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2005, 08:31 PM »
If you want to have some fun and dont care about getting stung,take a wet dry vac put some water and bleach in it,make it a strong solution and suck them little buggers rite out of the whole, do this a few times it works ive done it,but you will get stung.Probably dosent sound like fun to you.To bad there in your house,if they wernt i would say use a quarter stick,for a nest in a tree use a 12ga. I say why not have a little fun.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2005, 08:37 PM »
make sure when you do go after them, go around the area and try to find all the nests you can, then one evening after dark nail each nest with one or two cans per nest of foaming bee&wasp killer.   Just did that very thing to my house, got rid of 6 yellow jack and mud wasp nests.

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2005, 09:29 PM »
kill one and 1000 more come to the funeral
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

flipstick

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2005, 09:20 AM »
Big Red has the right idea, the foam works great.  Wait till after dark when they calm down and spray all the entrances they use.  Gas and a lighter also works well, but at the current gas prices, the exterminator isn't much more expensive and I doubt your insurance company would understand. :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.