FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crooked and Story  (Read 3315 times)

angolajones

Crooked and Story
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Rufus and I went to Story yesterday and were blown around.  We ended up catching 9 bass with 5 being keepers.  We didn't get anything big though.  They need to dredge the channel between upper and lower.

Today Rufus, Coach, and I went to Crooked and were on the roulette wheel of fishing.  We started out in the first basin looking for walleyes and didn't get bitten.  So we moved to the second basin and looked for eyes.  After no takers, we went to Jonesy channel and got out the winter spikes (Rufus did anyway).  He began to catch little crappie and bluegills.  I caught two keeper bass on a terminator jig.  I then tied on a bobber and caught a few panfish.   We gave about 5 away to another boat.  We went out of the channel and caught a few more panfish.  Then we moved back to the first basin and tried for walleye again.  After no takers, we went to Casey's cove.  Each of us hooked a fish on a silver buddy, a bass, a walleye, and a moster pike.  I landed the pike and am sad to announce, she is no longer with us.  She was filleted.  She did have a half digested small smallmouth bass in her belly.  We then moved all over the first basin and had some more hookups with some largemouth bass.  I then caught a 3 1/2 pound smallie on a silver buddy.  After dark, we caught a few 12 inch walleye. 

It looks like tomorrow will be windy and maybe not worth messing with even though it will be warm.

Jonesy

nelsonk44215

• Live to fish, fish to live!
Re: Crooked and Story
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:23 AM »
How do u fish those silver buddies? I have seen a few post about them and from what i have heard they seem to do pretty good. Just got back from spring break and me and hardy are looking to head out this week. Do u know of any good spots to try? thanks

Nelson

Bigbass101

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Nice job AngolaJones.  We were fishing one of those local lakes yesterday, and the bite was tough in the morning and early afternoon.  Sounds like you guys did well for Crooked Lake.  That lake can be extremely tough, and has had the DNR scratching their head for some years now.  The one species that has done well has been the walleye.  Too bad you guys didn't get any legals for table fare.

I've fished Story Lake for bass before.  Did fair numbers wise, but didn't catch any toads.  The front basin with the launch has some Timber you have to be careful of.  There's some just under the surface of the water on the opposite shore.  The back basin didn't have the same boating hazards, but that channel sure is shallow between the two.

I've tried to contact you before.  Feel free to email me.  Just click my profile, and my email is in there.  Would love to talk about some of the local lakes with you.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:24 PM »
There are some nice bass in Story.  You just have to know where to find them.  I haven't fished the open water there since the mid 90's, but the campground had a Memorial Day to Labor Day contest for longest fish for each species each year.  In 1993, I got the trophy for longest bass, it was 21 inches.  A week prior I caught 20.5 inch, 18.5, and 17.75 inch bass.  I have seen some real monsters in there, but they wouldn't hit a d**n thing you threw at them.  The 21 and 20.5 inch bass were actually caught at night fishing for crappie using a 1.5 inch rapala in an area that was lit up from a lighted dock. 

I am thinking about getting a small jon boat this summer, so I can get back up there and fish some of my hot spots from when I was a teen.

angolajones

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:36 PM »
I know what you mean about Story but it hasn't been the same for a few years.  I have fished it hard and I haven't done near as good as I did about five years ago. 

Crooked is full of big fish but they are heavily pressured.  After the association sprayed it so hard, there wasn't a weed in the lake and I think it really hurt the fishing especially the large mouth.  The smallies have really taken off in that lake and sometimes they bite really well.  I remember about 8 years ago tournaments would be won with two squeekers that went around 3 pounds.  Catching a keeper was a major feat.  That seems to have changed in the last few years. 

Bigbass, I tried to click on your profile and I must not have made enough posts to view it. 

Jonesy

angolajones

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:54 PM »
How do u fish those silver buddies? I have seen a few post about them and from what i have heard they seem to do pretty good. Just got back from spring break and me and hardy are looking to head out this week. Do u know of any good spots to try? thanks

Nelson
I fish the silver buddy on a 6'6" fenwick techna av medium with a chronarch.  I feel this rod has great sensitivity.  The stiffer the rod, the more vibration I think you can feel.  Too soft a rod, and the vibration is lost.  I let the bait settle to the bottom on semi-slack line.  If you let the line just drop, you will foul hook way too often and get very frustrated.  I lift the rod moving the bait about a foot at a time and reel down while dropping the rod tip.  Most bites will not be earth shattering.  Some will but some will feel mushy or like you went into a weed.  Sometimes the fish will push the bait forward and you will feel nothing on the lift.  A lot of bites will happen when the bait falls and by watching your line you will be able to see the bites.  The buddy is a fish catching machine in cold water.  The only thing is it takes a lot of time to get used to throwing them.  I like the buddies a guy I know makes called Hoyer blades.  I don't think they foul as often and I like his quality over the normal silver buddy's.

Jonesy

Bigbass101

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:58 AM »
Bigbass, I tried to click on your profile and I must not have made enough posts to view it.

It said the same thing to me when I tried to click on yours.  My email is [email protected] .  I received your PM, and would like to send you a personal email.  Drop me an email so I can reply to you.  We have a lot in common, and probably know a lot of the same people.

Crappie66,  thanks for the info on Story Lake and it's bass.  I may try it again sometime.  L.Turkey off of 700 south was the same way.  It use to pump out some real good ones.  It still does on occasion, but not near as often as it use too.  It really gets hammered these days.

Crooked lake.  I had a real good day on it two years ago.  We hit the largemouth and smallies big time.  The smallies all came out of the first basin near the public ramp.  The best largemouth fishing came out of the middle basin.  Even though we did catch some good ones in the first basin too.  The last three times I've been to the lake since that time.  Tough as nails.  Had to work my butt off to just get bit.  Like you said about the weeds.  There wasn't any!  If I found one tiny little clump the size of a 5 gallon bucket.  I could get a fish to come off it.  Otherwise, it was brutal.  Did seem to catch a walleye the other times there while bass fishing.  The Dnr gentleman I met at the ramp said the walleye survival rate was good.

ice dude

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:53 AM »
i think you guys need 3 post to be able to pm and look at profiles.

Good job on crooked guys. Dad and i thought about going over and fishing it. But we hit James instead. good luck on your next trip.

Kevin

nelsonk44215

• Live to fish, fish to live!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2006, 11:48 AM »
thanks a lot for the info Jonesy. I will be sure to give those a try.

Bigbass101

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2006, 12:53 PM »
i think you guys need 3 post to be able to pm and look at profiles.

Thanks Kevin.  This should be the 3rd one.  We'll see if it works.

Bigbass101

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2006, 12:54 PM »
3rd post didn't work. :'(

Bigbass101

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2006, 12:55 PM »
4th post didn't work. :'(

Just want to PM someone.  gesh!

Bigbass101

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2006, 12:56 PM »
5th post works. :)  For future reference.

ice dude

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:59 PM »
LOL Glad you got it to work for you .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.