FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: RUBBER BAITS ?  (Read 19093 times)

barkspud

Re: RUBBER BAITS ?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Probably more bass die from starvation because of intestine blockage than trout or salmon. I say that because more plastics are used in bass waters. I fish bass and use plastics but are trying new things but if a body of water has trout or samon im after them and don't use plastic. All the little things we do add up and sportsman should truly be sportsman. As far as the circle hooks not working on bass I disagree. Used them all winter and last night and haven't had a problem getting hooked up with bass. With technology  today and the flood of fishing tackle on the market they will have a bigger and better bio bait soon. Are children will be saying plastic what the hell is that. Just my jabbering lets make it better for them.                                                                                        Barkspud

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 07:23 AM »
"People generally don't fish s-13 ponds because they want to catch a lot of bass, in fact the opposite is true."

You said the above yesterday.  Now I'm confused.  It's pretty clear that it doesn't take too long to find exceptions to the general rule you proposed just 24 hours ago.  OK, it's legal for them because of the "management plan laid out for them".

When a "similar management plan is laid out for me" regarding what lures I can use, I'll get serious about the effort and expense of retooling my arsenal. 

And please don't worry about my impact on the environment.  I guarantee I do my share and then some to make things better ;D

???  Not sure what you are "right" about Jim, these anglers are just executing the management plan laid out for them on s-13 waters by the experts on the subject, our state fisheries biology team...... I'm confused and it still doesn't address the harmful effects of rubber baits on the fishery.   :(

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 07:48 AM »
you guys that use the plastic have nothing to fear the state makes way too much money to ban the plastic  look how long it took for the sportsman and one good bio the state use to have that thought more of wildlife in this state then he did of his job to get the buck only law passed  its nothing more then a money game today

gamefisher

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Sorry for the confusing Jim, I'll try an clarify my opinion.  An s-13 regulation is as close as you'll ever get the State to say "catch and kill"  They are primarily put in place in ponds where they have worked to manage as cold water fisheries, both native and stocked.  Most waters are small and fragile w/ an s-13 distinction and cannot withstand the illegal introduction of bass without drastic management tools being in acted. (if ever)  My reference yesterday was a response to your post which I'm sure you were talking about Will's post last year.  Yes, he posted a bunch of bass pics that upset some people.  What I tried to say is he would have been far happier to have gone to that  pond, caught no bass, and have only caught one nice 18" brookie like when he was a kid going to that same pond as a youngster with his grandfather.  I'm sure you'll agree that it's hard for all of us to watch the continuing decay of the fisheries we once remember.

As far as plastics go, I know its your legal right.  Just brought up the issue of there is something better and safer for the overall fishery.   Hope this helps clarify my postion.  Thanks Jim.

pegasus

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I thought Rubber Bait was a hooker in Boston. You can't use live bait, you can't use rubber bait, pretty quick to go fishing your going to have to stick your head under water and grab them with your teeth as they swim by. :o
Stop eating the bait and let's go fishing!

Jim C.

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for keeping this discussion civil.  I respect and appreciate that.  My history in Maine only goes back a little over a decade....moved around a lot for Uncle Sam.  Yeah, I'm "from away", "flatlander", all that stuff. ;D  In most places I've lived, any fish is a good fish.  Hence. my multi-species angling.  I can understand though how the changes from the traditional trout and salmon to other species evokes deep emotions in people who have a history going back generations.  I'll do my best to keep my "footprint" as small as possible before I move on.  

Sorry for the confusing Jim, I'll try an clarify my opinion.  An s-13 regulation is as close as you'll ever get the State to say "catch and kill"  They are primarily put in place in ponds where they have worked to manage as cold water fisheries, both native and stocked.  Most waters are small and fragile w/ an s-13 distinction and cannot withstand the illegal introduction of bass without drastic management tools being in acted. (if ever)  My reference yesterday was a response to your post which I'm sure you were talking about Will's post last year.  Yes, he posted a bunch of bass pics that upset some people.  What I tried to say is he would have been far happier to have gone to that  pond, caught no bass, and have only caught one nice 18" brookie like when he was a kid going to that same pond as a youngster with his grandfather.  I'm sure you'll agree that it's hard for all of us to watch the continuing decay of the fisheries we once remember.

As far as plastics go, I know its your legal right.  Just brought up the issue of there is something better and safer for the overall fishery.   Hope this helps clarify my postion.  Thanks Jim.

livinbass

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Thanks for keeping this discussion civil.  I respect and appreciate that.  My history in Maine only goes back a little over a decade....moved around a lot for Uncle Sam.  Yeah, I'm "from away", "flatlander", all that stuff. ;D  In most places I've lived, any fish is a good fish.  Hence. my multi-species angling.  I can understand though how the changes from the traditional trout and salmon to other species evokes deep emotions in people who have a history going back generations.  I'll do my best to keep my "footprint" as small as possible before I move on.  

well jim i hope you dont move on to soon we havnt gone out in the open water yet  ;D

Jim C.

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12 AM »
The moving van isn't in the driveway yet.

I want to fish the Andro for smallies sometime this season. We'll pick a spot  ;D

well jim i hope you dont move on to soon we havnt gone out in the open water yet  ;D

livinbass

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 09:14 AM »
Just name a day and were off  :laugh:

gamefisher

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Thanks for keeping this discussion civil.    

Right back at you, those are the only ones I'll participate in on here. ;D  I've never begrudged anybody for what they like to fish for nor will I.  After all, deep down we all want the same thing and that's the enjoyment and protection of the resources....occasionally we are going to have varying opinions on how that's best accomplished. ;)  Good fishing Jim.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45 AM »
The newer GULP and GULP alive are biodegradable, still contain some plastic but should break down before they kill a fish, Older true plastics will last forever and ever.
I like the "food source" baits too, better scent trail in the water and they contain no plastic at all. The only down side to them is durability. They tear more easily so you'll use them up a little faster.
Bottom line is plastics are an awesome bait choice, just dont throw your used bait overboard and everyone will be happier, especially the fish.

Jim C.

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Good fishing Jim.

And good fishing to you, too, GF.  I think I'll feed the salmonid side of my addiction later today ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11 AM »
And good fishing to you, too, GF.  I think I'll feed the salmonid side of my addiction later today ;D

Atta boy, it's o.k. to come over from the "dark side" :evil: ;D

HawgHunter

• Huntin' Hawgs
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 04:04 PM »
???  Not sure who you fish with H.H., but you are way off base on this one.  Yes some guys keep an eater or a bleeder but a LOT of fish get released..... on this board I've fished with Buddah, FLAG, Fool, Scotty, THREECAR, and Salmon Slayer and so far I've seen a total of ONE bleeder be kept for an older couple to consume. ;).

i couldnt care less who you fish with. im sure you've kept more than just one, eh?
Big bass, big bass watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when I come for you?!

gamefisher

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 05:30 PM »
i couldnt care less who you fish with. im sure you've kept more than just one, eh?

I personally haven't kept a single fish this spring....that would actually require me to be able to catch one first. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.