FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Evinrude 1964 9422R  (Read 8623 times)

Yankee

Evinrude 1964 9422R
« on: Mar 31, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I have a Evinrude 1964 9422R 9.5 hp outboard. The other day I went fishing for the first time this year. Engine started on first pull. Ran great all the way to our destination,( 15 min cruise). On the way back, I opened her up full. She slowly lost power and died. I pumped a semi hard fuel bulb and she started right back up. Ran for 5 seconds and then lost power and died. I did this proceedure about ten times to get me back to the dock. I have ordered a Seloc manual. Any suggestions?

mongosmash

Re: Evinrude 1964 9422R
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM »
see if you can start it now and check the water pump. i just received a 5.5 1960 and was told the same thing. when it gets hot it runs real bad and has no power. well i started it the other day and the water pump wasn't moving any water. i replaced it and then i put in a bucket of water and ran it till it made the water in the bucket hotter then bath water. which took almost in hour. look into the water pump. that motor has bushing in it not bearings so when it gets hot it will stall instead of blowing up.
tight lines and wet flies

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I have a Evinrude 1964 9422R 9.5 hp outboard. The other day I went fishing for the first time this year. Engine started on first pull. Ran great all the way to our destination,( 15 min cruise). On the way back, I opened her up full. She slowly lost power and died. I pumped a semi hard fuel bulb and she started right back up. Ran for 5 seconds and then lost power and died. I did this proceedure about ten times to get me back to the dock. I have ordered a Seloc manual. Any suggestions?

Take a look at the engine in the area of the exhaust manifold.  If it is, or has been, getting hot that area will be discolored and have a brownish look to the paint.  Checking the screen in the fuel bowl is also a simple procedure.  Make sure your tank is clean if you find stuff in the bowl.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

Yankee

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will have to wait till the manual comes to find the water pump and exaust.  I did check the gas filter bulb thing.  It was full and clean.  Although when I took it apart and tried to put back together, the filter was loose in the bulb.  Is that OK?  I didnt want to break the glass.

mongosmash

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2010, 02:05 PM »
that I'm not sure about the fuel filter, but you can check the impeller buy putting the lower unit in a bucket of water and starting the motor if it will run long enough 25 seconds and i should be pumping water out of the hole in the middle of the shaft tube. if you don't see any water shut it down and just go and buy the impeller kit their about 55$, just bought one. that test shouldn't take more then a minute if not less. i ran mine for the first time in water for 3 minutes before in knew what i was looking for. from what you've already said, you've already over heated it a couple times so whats one more in a controlled environment.   

Yankee

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2010, 03:56 PM »
When I run the motor, does it have to be gear?  Also what speed, Idle or give it some gas?

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2010, 06:02 PM »
When I run the motor, does it have to be gear?  Also what speed, Idle or give it some gas?
No it does not have to be in gear - you should see water from the "pee" hole even at idle.

Yankee

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2010, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I will give it a shot this weekend.  Will let you know what happens.

mongosmash

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:10 PM »
hey if you have the time and a camera take a pic of the prop side of the motor. I'd like to see what the big diff is between yours and mine, other then the H.P. their should be a thumb size hole about 10" above the prop plate that some exhaust comes out of. that hole will be the tattletale. but the problem is it's after the thermos stat so you'll have to let it run for a few before you see water coming out of that hole. but only let it run for a minute or so and not much longer. the water in the motor has to heat up like in your car then open the thermos stat. it will also not be a stream of water it will be more like a spray of water. that is good so don't fret that.

Yankee

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Ok, so I got a manual the other day.  Did some reading and put the motor in a bucket of water and started it up.  Water is diffenetly comming out of the exhaust.  Good amount too.  It still would only run for about five seconds.  So I started it up again.  This time I looked around the motor.  I found that fuel was leaking out a port on my carb.  I took a picture. Trying to figure out how to upload it.  Give me a bit.

Yankee

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2010, 12:03 PM »
http://xmas.fileave.com/carb arrow internet.jpg

dont know if this is right.  you can click the first link and save pic.

mongosmash

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2010, 01:43 PM »
well it looks like you have the problem in hand. but i haven't had this problem with mine yet. i'd say that looks like a hard line and now without looking at the manual i wouldn't know how to help you. but when you get it fixed please let us know. sorry i couldn't help out more, good luck.

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Ok, so I got a manual the other day.  Did some reading and put the motor in a bucket of water and started it up.  Water is diffenetly comming out of the exhaust.  Good amount too.  It still would only run for about five seconds.  So I started it up again.  This time I looked around the motor.  I found that fuel was leaking out a port on my carb.  I took a picture. Trying to figure out how to upload it.  Give me a bit.
So this is most likely a "stuck" needle valve on the carb float.  You are going to have to remove the carb and take the bottom bowl off to relieve that needle.

Maybe someone else on here has a better idea, but seeing and reading your description, that's what I would do next.

Yankee

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Thanks fish for pike.  I will look in the manual for the needle before I tear it apart. It would probaly be wise to do a carb rebuild when I take it apart.  If anybody has any other ideas, please tell me.  Newbie at this and I dont want to screw it up wosre.

Yankee

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2010, 08:19 PM »
So i have taken off the carb and broken it down. I did not find a major problem. So I'm hopping that is was a piece of gook lodged some where that I did not see. I want to order a carb kit for it. But I have a new problem. The low speed needle assembly with packing nut. The drawing that I have shows a spring and a washer and a o ring in with the needle. Mine does not have any of that. The needle was screwed in about 20 turns and when it came out nothing came out with it. I looked down in the hole where the needle inserts into and saw a washer. I removed the clear washer no problem. Then under that was a piece of black plastic that looked like a thicker washer. I tried to remove but it did not want to come out. I nned help. I dont want to order the wrong carb kit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.