FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 566052 times)

choo choo

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2055 on: Jun 06, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Tough keeping him out of the water!!  :whistling: It's all good! ;)--KP 8)

I hear ya KP...Been through it with my jr too...They're like young pup's some time !! It's all good for sure...they grow up so quick...fun times!!
I'm fishing my way through life .

KingPerch

« Reply #2056 on: Jun 07, 2013, 06:49 AM »
Trapper is a great 'Ol Fart!! He has these missions (fishing) that he goes on from time to time. I swear he gets so involved in his fishing that he actually forgets the basics at times. Like the time...day.....week....maybe even what year it is!! :laugh: trap, you 'ol buzzard...save some fish for the rest of us!!! LOL!! Life is good!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

black55

« Reply #2057 on: Jun 09, 2013, 12:30 AM »
Went flyfishing today for the first time in 30 yrs or more and i am proud to say i didn't get skunked ! I found some cheap (Made in china) dry flies an decided to hit the river , in 2 hrs or so i caught 1 sunny ( then nothing ) dang flies sank like a rock. So i changed to a1/48 oz  jig with smallest tail i had , fished it as a streamer. With it on i caught a 10 inch smallie , and 2 sheepsheads ( drum) 1 was real small and the other was around 2 lbs. I do have a ? to ask ,what do you guys use as a fly dressing ? Those cheap flies are horrible  ! !
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2058 on: Jun 09, 2013, 10:45 AM »
I dont fish alot of dries but I do like to fish wets and emergers in or near the surface film...
Any "fine" dry fly or something tied with cdc I use a powder like Froggs Fanny. For my wets and emergers I like a paste you kind of rub into them. The one im currently using is made by Cortland...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

black55

« Reply #2059 on: Jun 09, 2013, 12:13 PM »
DC in this area finding anything related to flyfishing is like finding hens teeth , so i pulled out the cabela's and i find nothing ! ! i think there may be a place 70 or so miles from here , but with the gas prices so high will have to wait untill the  first of july to go . Seems like i read some where on this thread that RG or Trapper used some house hold item on there flies ?  And the BIG ? is where is TRAPPER LOL

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2060 on: Jun 09, 2013, 07:33 PM »
DC in this area finding anything related to flyfishing is like finding hens teeth , so i pulled out the cabela's and i find nothing ! ! i think there may be a place 70 or so miles from here , but with the gas prices so high will have to wait untill the  first of july to go . Seems like i read some where on this thread that RG or Trapper used some house hold item on there flies ?  And the BIG ? is where is TRAPPER LOL

If you go on Cabelas web-site and click on flyfishing then accessories then "floatants & weights", you will find a pile of options  8)

oatkasut

« Reply #2061 on: Jun 09, 2013, 09:43 PM »
For a floatant  I like the Gehrke's gink floatant; one drop rubbed into the dry fly and on the tippet and the leader gives you a nice dry floater fly that gets'm.I fish al0t with dry flies .

black55

« Reply #2062 on: Jun 10, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Thanks guys i did manage to order a fly fishing catalog from cabelas today that should help !

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2063 on: Jun 10, 2013, 04:16 AM »
black i  just  got  finished  with  my  deck and  ramp  ...i'll  send ya some  goodies   ;D

what  fishing  time  i  have  had i  spent  down to the  river chasing  gills a  few  bass and  one  old rubber nose  ;D the  score  board  isn't  high this  year  but  a lot of  nice  fish .....  foam is  my  friend  mixed  with  nymphs  ....hope  to  get  the  kayak out  later  today  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2064 on: Jun 10, 2013, 03:59 PM »
ALIVE!

IT'S ALIVE!!!

;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #2065 on: Jun 10, 2013, 04:31 PM »
 :rotflol: :rotflol:

Welcome back Trap!!--KP 8)

black55

« Reply #2066 on: Jun 11, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Got another rookie ? for you guys ,  will a 5 wt line work on a 6/7 wt rod ?

KingPerch

« Reply #2067 on: Jun 11, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I'm going to let RG comment on this question... ;) I don't see why not...just, don't have the proper answer for you!! Never tried it! Somebody on here awhile ago stated that a heavier line will work on a lighter rod....again...just speculation.--KP 8)

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2068 on: Jun 11, 2013, 07:59 PM »

It should "work"...
Will depend on the action of the rod and the caster but it will work - probably just not optimum for distance. Most guys find that going one line heavier will cast better, especially with one of todays newer "fast" rods. Someone who hasnt done alot of casting probably wouldnt even notice, lol...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2069 on: Jun 12, 2013, 01:49 AM »
There's volumes written about line weights and rod lengths and rod tapers and rod flex.........try it and see if you like the way it feels. No one can tell you how it feels to you.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.