FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084327 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5325 on: Oct 12, 2011, 01:15 PM »
i made a  offer  in  here  the  other  day  to  take   anyone  out  fishing  that  wanted  to  go  ,well  i  got a  e mail  from  bb4  ....  i  am  so  gland  the  we  got  to  share    the  spot   together  today  ,  you  are  a  gentleman  and  it  was a  pleasure   meeting  and  fishing  with  you  1 
 BB4  IS  ALSO  A  OLD  FART  WITH  A  FLY  ROD   !!!   and  we   even managed  to  get a  few  fish! 

bb4  with  2  salmon   

great  time  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #5326 on: Oct 12, 2011, 02:58 PM »
I see once again they've backed off on rain totals....can't seem to catch a break up there:
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Storm-Team-Forecast-Discussion/iS5fKgcnukW2WIhMsHWumQ.cspx

I didn't even bother talking about this storm, it looked disorganised right from the get go when it was still in Florida.  I had a feeling it wouldn't pan out, but like they say, it aint over til it's over...I noticed a few showers pop over us earlier which tells me we don't have a east wind shadow off the tug and the air is saturated already, so you never know..  
          Hey Rob the trees are even better today, leaves are holding strong......speaking of leaves, the River's choked with them, as a kid we I always gauged the last big push of kings to these big leaf days, I can remember giant hook up days down low when you either hooked a leaf or a fish, should be a good amount moving now.. Walked up to the bridge and that pod of 600 kings that's been sitting off Don's rocks for the last 2-3 weeks has dissapeared, water must have hit the right temp last night, full force spawning going on now I bet....gravel must be loaded now...Yesterdays kings and steel push are on the move, staircase was slow this morning I was told by guys here, there headin up as we speak.....Got guys trying to cut them off mid river.....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #5327 on: Oct 12, 2011, 03:02 PM »
i made a  offer  in  here  the  other  day  to  take   anyone  out  fishing  that  wanted  to  go  ,well  i  got a  e mail  from  bb4  ....  i  am  so  gland  the  we  got  to  share    the  spot   together  today  ,  you  are  a  gentleman  and  it  was a  pleasure   meeting  and  fishing  with  you  1 
 BB4  IS  ALSO  A  OLD  FART  WITH  A  FLY  ROD   !!!   and  we   even managed  to  get a  few  fish! 

bb4  with  2  salmon   

great  time  ;D
  Thats great trap !!!!!!! Show of class my friend just look at how happy he is ! I'd be willing to bet You're smile was even bigger  ;D

SNAGGER

« Reply #5328 on: Oct 12, 2011, 03:06 PM »
That's the reason why I made that comment Bcons. I was hoping amatuer anglers would understand that technique.  Also wanting to explain it correctly...All the experienced guys know the deal. ;)

The way they have the laws structured, it's very open ended to say the least , I was just talking to an en con about the laws an hour ago, they are just doing there job, I just wish they would concentrate there efforts on poaching .... litterbugs ect ... not a leader 4 inches too big or too hard a tug...my 2 cents...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

« Reply #5329 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:09 PM »
  Thats great trap !!!!!!! Show of class my friend just look at how happy he is ! I'd be willing to bet You're smile was even bigger  ;D

dots  bb4  is  a  great  guy  !  i  had  a  bigger  smile   just getting  to  enjoy  the  river  with  him  and  we met  some  really  great people  today  too!  .... 

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5330 on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:36 PM »
  The way they have the laws structured, it's very open ended to say the least , I was just talking to an en con about the laws an hour ago, they are just doing there job, I just wish they would concentrate there efforts on poaching .... litterbugs ect ... not a leader 4 inches too big or too hard a tug...my 2 cents...
yeah I mean come on.  My split shot have slid many times. I have tape on my rod now so I know where 4is ft is a been on there for a few years now.  Since my split shot to the eye ordeal I've switched to a sink tip fly line which is kinda nice o can fish slower water than I could before. More people even say hi to me

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #5331 on: Oct 12, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Guys,
Does your line HAVE to have a leader? Can you just run some split shot 3feet up on your main line and have your lure? Or does it have to be mainline, tag with split shot, swivel, leader, hook?
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

trapper2000

« Reply #5332 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:20 PM »
state  is  stupid  all  this  over  a  fish  that  will die in a  week ,  that has a  empty  stomach   and   a  fishery  depending  on a  hatchery  anyways  ????   but  it's  ok  ....  poachers  can  be   shooting  deer  knowing most  the    e  cons  will be  in  salmon  rivers  .... i  have  come  up  with a  better  way!!!!  truth  this  is  all a  matter  of  money  ...you  can't  tell  people   for  30  years  the  salmon  doesn't   hit then    switch  and  say he  does ,  truth is   99%  of  fisherman  KNOW  ...  so   my idea  is  ...instead  of  the  state  depending  on  fines  (which   unlike  lic  fees  go in the  general  fund)  why  not  have  a   state  of  new  york  salmon  pass!!!!   charge  everyone  20  bucks   a  year   and  leave  everyone  alone  ...it  will  benifit  the  state  !  and  it  will  relieve  the   cost  of  dec patrols  on  the  river  ...they  can  be  used  to  actually  protect  something  worth  protecting!  this  will  leave  extra   money    thats  wasted  watching  salmon  fisherman ....  i know  i  steped on  the  toes  of a  purist  ,  but  sometimes   common  sence   is a  better  approch  then  emotionalism....  just  my  opinion  ....  i  will  sleep  so  much  better  knowing  adamms  split  shot  is  no  further  then  4  foot ::)

SNAGGER

« Reply #5333 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:41 PM »
yeah I mean come on.  My split shot have slid many times. I have tape on my rod now so I know where 4is ft is a been on there for a few years now.  Since my split shot to the eye ordeal I've switched to a sink tip fly line which is kinda nice o can fish slower water than I could before. More people even say hi to me

Well I had my annual lead law debate I have every year with my local en con today , I don't and have never agreed with the no lead above 4 feet rule, it's total nonsense in my opinion, When the waters low, clear or the fish are line shy, A man should have the freedom to place his weight where ever he feels fit...period. More fish would be hooked legal and most guys would learn how to drift correctly if this law was not in place. I don't care about the lining vs biting debate, fish would be hooked legal and everyone would be happy...end of story...it's rediculus that people are forced to use use short leaders and foul hook fish in the bigger runs...
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bb4

« Reply #5334 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Just needed to post up and thank Trapper for helping a rookie get into some fish today.  Between him and everyone else on the stream they were all focused on helping me out, concerned with my success, not theirs.  I was the lucky one today getting to meet and spend some time with a quality fisherman and person.  Thanks again Trapper.  Now, I just need to learn the correct techniques to catch some steelhead.  Hopefully you will give me a call again and give me some tips. Also, the guy who didn't take you up on your offer the other day really blew it.
Thanks
 Bill

ripple

« Reply #5335 on: Oct 12, 2011, 06:58 PM »
hey trap, think the poachers are shooting deer out of necessity to feed their family or for sport ? same goes for salmon.
folks I know fish for salmon, I mean "fish" for them as sport not so much necessity for food.  Also know folks who "harvest" venison to feed their family and not for sport. To me they are not the same and my license fees are better spent watching the folks who do it for so called sport.. just sayin..

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5336 on: Oct 12, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Guys,
Does your line HAVE to have a leader? Can you just run some split shot 3feet up on your main line and have your lure? Or does it have to be mainline, tag with split shot, swivel, leader, hook?

On my mono setup I always ran 12 -15 lb test mainline straight to the hook and put split shot on it. Some say you have to have a break in the line but I can't see where it says it. I've never got a ticket and have been checked a few times a few yrs back

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #5337 on: Oct 12, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Thanks Adam.
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

Stormy_NY

« Reply #5338 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Only at the DSR do you have to fish with a swivel .

jersey dave

« Reply #5339 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Snagger,

Would it be worth a suicide run. I was thinking of leaving jersey saturday morning around 2am and getting to the river around 6am then fish all day and leave at 7 saturday night or so. Do you think its worth it.
Jersey Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.