FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084159 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #6735 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:41 AM »
yes  a  5.56  and  a  .223cal  are the same  round   :cookoo: :cookoo: only  differance   is  a  NATO  5.56  is  loaded  to  have  a  higher   volicity    you  can  get .223  the  same  way  ...  5.56   is  the  metric  cal    .223  is  the  s.a.e.  cal ....now  stop talking    stupid  stuff  and  lets  get  back  to  fishing  ...

snag  went  back  to  my  fisrt fish  on  a  bead   hole  this  morning  7  for  10    one  was  beautiful....on your  bead     look  alike  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

esox v

« Reply #6736 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:01 PM »
yes  a  5.56  and  a  .223cal  are the same  round   :cookoo: :cookoo: only  differance   is  a  NATO  5.56  is  loaded  to  have  a  higher   volicity    you  can  get .223  the  same  way  ...  5.56   is  the  metric  cal    .223  is  the  s.a.e.  cal ....now  stop talking    stupid  stuff  and  lets  get  back  to  fishing  ...

snag  went  back  to  my  fisrt fish  on  a  bead   hole  this  morning  7  for  10    one  was  beautiful....on your  bead     look  alike  ;D
Ok by me.... Just sidn't want anyone to get the wrong Idea.... and blow themselves up... by shooting a 5.56 in a 223... IT IS NOT RECOMENDED !!

223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO:
 What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You02/15/2011

CommentsIs firing a 5.56 NATO cartridge in your .223 Remington chambered AR15 dangerous?  Or do Internet forum-ninjas and ammunition companies selling you commercial ammo instead of surplus overstate the dangers?  Believe it or not, a real danger exists, and some gun owners who think they are doing the right thing may not be safe.

The Cartridges

The .223 Remington and 5.56x45 NATO cartridges are very similar, and externally appear the same.  But there are some differences that lie beneath the surface.

The 5.56 case has thicker walls to handle higher pressures, meaning the interior volume of the case is smaller than that of a .223.   This will alter the loading data used when reloading 5.56 brass to .223 specs.

Some 5.56 loads have a slightly longer overall length than commercial .223 loads.  

The Chambers

The significant difference between the .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO lies in the rifles, rather than the cartridges themselves.  Both the .223 and 5.56 rounds will chamber in rifles designed for either cartridge, but the critical component, leade, will be different in each rifle.

The leade is the area of the barrel in front of the chamber prior to where the rifling begins.  This is where the loaded bullet is located when a cartridge is chambered.  The leade is frequently called the “throat.”

On a .223 Remington spec rifle, the leade will be 0.085”.  This is the standard described by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI).  The leade in a 5.56 NATO spec rifle is 0.162”, or almost double the leade of the .223 rifle.  

A shorter leade in a SAAMI spec rifle creates a situation where the bullet in a 5.56 NATO round, when chambered, can contact the rifling prior to being fired.  By having contact with the rifling prematurely (at the moment of firing), chamber pressure can be dramatically increased, creating the danger of a ruptured case or other cartridge/gun failure.

How serious is the danger of firing 5.56 ammo in .223 guns?  Dangerous enough that the SAAMI lists 5.56 military ammo as being not for use in .223 firearms in the technical data sheet titled “Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations.”  

END OF STORY !!!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #6737 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Took a walk across the street, bite still going pretty good, slower than the past few days, but seen about 15 hooked in the hour I was there, I went 3 for 6 bottom bouncing. .  Warming up and headin back over...36 degree east wind is cold.....
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishgalore

« Reply #6738 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:55 PM »
anyway anyone gotten a water temp of the sr lately

Whitakers says 40 degrees..................http://www.whitakers.com/

trapper2000

« Reply #6739 on: Dec 03, 2011, 02:21 PM »
heres  a  few  pictures    

snagg  i  had  a  great  morning  buddy  !!!!!   ;D  fishing  i  didn't  take  the  temp  sorry

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #6740 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:01 PM »
heres  a  few  pictures    

snagg  i  had  a  great  morning  buddy  !!!!!   ;D  fishing  i  didn't  take  the  temp  sorry

I went back out across the street, alot of traffic today, so good spots were limited, managed another 4 .....went  4 for 9 in about 3 hours today.  Not great. but fun, seen alot of action though.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #6741 on: Dec 03, 2011, 04:25 PM »
is that a float setup trapp?? thought you were a die hard fly guy........and the bead converts another. ;D

Special Ed

« Reply #6742 on: Dec 03, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Ok by me.... Just sidn't want anyone to get the wrong Idea.... and blow themselves up... by shooting a 5.56 in a 223... IT IS NOT RECOMENDED !!

223 Remington vs. 5.56 NATO:
 What You Don’t Know Could Hurt You02/15/2011

CommentsIs firing a 5.56 NATO cartridge in your .223 Remington chambered AR15 dangerous?  Or do Internet forum-ninjas and ammunition companies selling you commercial ammo instead of surplus overstate the dangers?  Believe it or not, a real danger exists, and some gun owners who think they are doing the right thing may not be safe.

The Cartridges

The .223 Remington and 5.56x45 NATO cartridges are very similar, and externally appear the same.  But there are some differences that lie beneath the surface.

The 5.56 case has thicker walls to handle higher pressures, meaning the interior volume of the case is smaller than that of a .223.   This will alter the loading data used when reloading 5.56 brass to .223 specs.

Some 5.56 loads have a slightly longer overall length than commercial .223 loads.  

The Chambers

The significant difference between the .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO lies in the rifles, rather than the cartridges themselves.  Both the .223 and 5.56 rounds will chamber in rifles designed for either cartridge, but the critical component, leade, will be different in each rifle.

The leade is the area of the barrel in front of the chamber prior to where the rifling begins.  This is where the loaded bullet is located when a cartridge is chambered.  The leade is frequently called the “throat.”

On a .223 Remington spec rifle, the leade will be 0.085”.  This is the standard described by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI).  The leade in a 5.56 NATO spec rifle is 0.162”, or almost double the leade of the .223 rifle.  

A shorter leade in a SAAMI spec rifle creates a situation where the bullet in a 5.56 NATO round, when chambered, can contact the rifling prior to being fired.  By having contact with the rifling prematurely (at the moment of firing), chamber pressure can be dramatically increased, creating the danger of a ruptured case or other cartridge/gun failure.

How serious is the danger of firing 5.56 ammo in .223 guns?  Dangerous enough that the SAAMI lists 5.56 military ammo as being not for use in .223 firearms in the technical data sheet titled “Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations.”  

END OF STORY !!!

When are you going to learn that you can't win these debates ? ::) ::)   BTW.........you're 100 % right but not here !

trapper2000

« Reply #6743 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:43 PM »
is that a float setup trapp?? thought you were a die hard fly guy........and the bead converts another. ;D

ernye   i  have  a   bad  case  of   casting  elbow  lol   so  i   broke  out  the noodle  rod  ,  and    finally  had   snagger  give  me  a  lesson  in    bead  fishing , i've  had  fun  with  if  ...  tomorrow  i'm  tossing  the  fly  rod  case  over  my  shoulder  and  see  it  i  can  cast  .....  ;D.....  if  not   back  to  the   noodle  rod

i  don't  know  how  to  explain  how  i  feel  about     the  bead !  i  believe  the  fish  hits  the  bead !   i   do  but  the  long  disstance  between  the   bead  and  the  hook  results  in  alot  of  fowl  hooks  ... by  fowl  hook i  use  the  states  defintion    as  a  fish  not  hooked   IN THE  MOUTH  .....  in  being  the  key  LEGAL word  here,
  seeing  we  all  release  most  fish  anyways  guess  it  doesn't  make  any  differances   except  i  truely  want   every  hook  up  IN  THE  MOUTH    thats  just  me  personally  ....
 i still  do  not  believe    salmon  hit  them  i  think  it's  a  easy  way  to line  em   ( i  don't  care)   i  seen    steel  flash   then  the  bobber  went  down  so i  knew  they  went  for  the  bead   but   alot  were   hooked  in  face  and  outside  lip  ....  just  being  honest  here  .... ps   it  is  a  fun  way  to  fish  like  a  flyrod  and  strike  indicator

bcons

« Reply #6744 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:14 PM »
What are you talking about trap? You don't believe Salmon "hit"  ::)
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

trapper2000

« Reply #6745 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:17 PM »
i  never   believed  salmon  hit  ...i  don't  believe    the  check  is  in  the  mail  ,i  don't  believe   in  big  foot , i  don't  believe  in  nessy  or  champ  ... and  i  don't  believe  in  en.wikipedia  either  .................  or   that  real  men  pick  on  kids 

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #6746 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:19 PM »
i  never   believed  salmon  hit  ...i  don't  believe    the  check  is  in  the  mail  ,i  don't  believe   in  big  foot , i  don't  believe  in  nessy  or  champ  ...  ;D
ya well me and Adam saw a sasquash in Canada. but beer was involved ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

trapper2000

« Reply #6747 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:21 PM »
 :D :D :D :D  you  and  adam  together  .... thats  dangerous  right  there  mister  .....  WHEN  YOU  FISHING  WITH  US??????

fishgalore

« Reply #6748 on: Dec 04, 2011, 04:43 AM »
Talk about a hijacked thread. Wow, Adam why are you involved in this? Army recruiter...............hmmmmm, LOL.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #6749 on: Dec 04, 2011, 05:41 AM »
Talk about a hijacked thread. Wow, Adam why are you involved in this? Army recruiter...............hmmmmm, LOL.
Oh boy , I was there the last time HT called him that .........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.