FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084138 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #6825 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:51 AM »
You guys are right about the internet . Today was my first day fishing beeds this year  . I always tie tiny bags to look like single eggs .  I just picked random beed  colors and every  one worked ..almost to easy

for now..come back in 2 weeks and tell me that, then the learning will begin all over again.  ;)
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #6826 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:54 AM »
Here's a little report:

Fished first day in a trib, had lots of hookups, lots of spit backs too.  Caught a small steel (no pic) and a nice fat domestic (no pic).  We had one net between the three of us, and some fish just don't like to wait for the netman to wake up(sorry matt).  Fished second day in Altmar, landed one lost 5 or 6.  I just started using my aventa, and I'll tell you this: it takes some getting used to setting good hooks with those longer rods. 

Here's the one landed in altmar. Video/pic

http://youtu.be/WIEYf4LjS8I

and a shot I took from fraziers run upriver.

great little video man..looks like that pole is 20 feet long.  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

« Reply #6827 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:28 AM »

Just checked my rain gauge, we got 3/4's of an inch last night, another bucket had snow in it 3 days ago, measured that and it was 1 1/4 inches of water now...getting 3/4's in December is like getting 3 inches in August, no plants using it and the ground is cold and saturated.  River should stay high all week now....maybe a 750 drop for the weekend if we are lucky.

Maybe not, just looked at the fish creek gauge which drains south Tug hill and it isn't flowing very high compared to the north gauges, could be a suprize drop.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6828 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:44 AM »
nice, I would love 750 for the weekend. The precip history map shows the south end of the tug getting less precip than the north.    Even if SR stays high, nearby places should still be good.    I'm trying to talk my buddy brian into coming up for the weekend...maybe looking at a fri-sun trip.    

fishthefalls123

« Reply #6829 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:45 AM »
hopefully it does drop and we can move around a bit better by the weekend. coming up this weekend with fishgalore and gillripper1. gonna be fun no matter what. its gonna be another experience for me fishing this highwater on the SR. last time i came in november it was only about 400? now possibly almost 1500?!?!??!. Personally my favorite time being up there is just the friendship with guys up there having a great time doing something we all love to do

rakerdave

« Reply #6830 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:57 PM »
  for now..come back in 2 weeks and tell me that, then the learning will begin all over again.  ;)
yeah I know I use to only fish January February when I get laid off. That's when I pay Steve to back troll .

fishgalore

« Reply #6831 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Here's a little report:

Fished first day in a trib, had lots of hookups, lots of spit backs too.  Caught a small steel (no pic) and a nice fat domestic (no pic).  We had one net between the three of us, and some fish just don't like to wait for the netman to wake up(sorry matt).  Fished second day in Altmar, landed one lost 5 or 6.  I just started using my aventa, and I'll tell you this: it takes some getting used to setting good hooks with those longer rods.  

Here's the one landed in altmar. Video/pic

http://youtu.be/WIEYf4LjS8I

and a shot I took from fraziers run upriver.

Thanks for the video, nice job.

fishgalore

« Reply #6832 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:35 PM »
yeah I know I use to only fish January February when I get laid off. That's when I pay Steve to back troll .

Nice shots from you too!

SNAGGER

« Reply #6833 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:43 PM »

Walked across the street and fished the Altmar area today...Higher water made it tricky but was able to land 8 for 11 in about 3 hours... Most fish were dark, but very hot...good battles..Nice afternoon with good friends. Seen an average amount of other hook ups. One guy fishing an indicator on the other side of the River did about the same numbers as me.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

SNAGGER

« Reply #6834 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:28 PM »

Fresh Large December coho.

The boys with some December Steelies.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #6835 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:34 PM »
they look like they are floating.   ;D

lehigh vally

« Reply #6836 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:59 PM »
I know for sure Phill is, when he use to get in on a Friday the bear can never left his hand till he went home on sunday  :D  Phill's on the right by the way ;)   When did they get in Snagger and are they from Joe's?

SNAGGER

« Reply #6837 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I know for sure Phill is, when he use to get in on a Friday the bear can never left his hand till he went home on sunday  :D  Phill's on the right by the way ;)   When did they get in Snagger and are they from Joe's?

Those came from the Big River, no ditches here.  We fished together.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

lehigh vally

« Reply #6838 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:16 PM »
  Those came from the Big River, no ditches here.  We fished together.
  Cool man, if Phill's gettin um it must be stuffed   :rotflol:

SNAGGER

« Reply #6839 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:19 PM »
  Cool man, if Phill's gettin um it must be stuffed   :rotflol:

He did really well, 6 fish while I was there.  He said he hooked 12, he's changing his line right now to 6lb.. He had the wrong noodle rod today.4lb. maxima was snapping like thread.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.