FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vegetable Gardens  (Read 5399 times)

slabspanker

• i love wood and wood products
Re: Vegetable Gardens
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2011, 01:03 PM »
I plant a mix: sweetcorn, cantaloupe, green & red bells, Green beans, Beets ,and butternut squash, beefsteak tomatoes too!

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2011, 01:25 PM »
I really like the brandywines...and usually bigboys and beefsteaks
    A Country Boy can Survive!

TheDL

« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2011, 01:49 PM »
wow...you better opt for the electric fence then!!!
hahaha, I wish - stupid people make for stupid pets :-\
tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:38 PM »
hahaha, I wish - stupid people make for stupid pets :-\
barbed wire and razor wire are also other options!!  :o :rotflol:

venisonman

« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:36 PM »
hmm...that's not bad - although I'm thinking that dog would just mow it over.  It's a big dumb dog that is not taken care of or trained at all (I love dogs).  The d**n thing tipped over by (large) bbq once :o

Hmmmmmmm.........Claymore?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:39 PM »
man - I wish I could have a garden.  I have room, but no fence and I  live in a row of townhouses - my jerk neighbour has a very large dog that destroys everything in sight, and ruined my efforts last year.  I rent, so I can't put up a fence - tried using small posts/chicken wire around the garden last year and that got trashed.  Anyone got any clever ideas to keep a big german sheppard out of your yard/garden?
I've tried talking to them, and chasing it away everytime it comes over (daily) - but nothing seems to work?!
try containers. big ones! 25 gallon! then chicken wre, but no topsoil. use a potting mix. ;)

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

ole sam

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:05 PM »
I really like the brandywines...and usually bigboys and beefsteaks

X2 on the Brandywines
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

TheDL

« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:28 AM »
try containers. big ones! 25 gallon! then chicken wre, but no topsoil. use a potting mix. ;)
hmmm...that might actually work.  I'll give it a go - I love fresh veg, if I get it going definately gonna do bell peppers, peas, squash, lettuce, beefstake tomatoes, cherry tomatoes
nothing better than food you grew/caught/killed yourself - so satisfying and fresh!

tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:01 PM »
you said it...I dont trust the government or the FDA...I grow my own, catch my own, kill my own, and cook my own! A country boy can survive!

TheDL

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:17 PM »
me either - and that's such a problem for our young ones.  video game skills won't feed you when the "grid" is down - take a kid fishing, and teach 'em to grow / gut thier own!
tight lines....

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:29 PM »
yeah...its a shame that kids these days only want to stay indoors and play the almighty video game....when I was a kid we used to go out to the woods and build bunks and such....definitely try and introduce a youngster to the outdoors!

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:13 PM »
we bought our first house in the fall last year so this will be my first year with free Raine on what i can do.  I already have a 4 x 100 foot roll of vinyl coated 1/2 square wire for the fence.  I was planning on making one part enclosed in the fence that will contain all the things that the deer and other critters might enjoy and then plant things like peppers, potatoes, corn, pumpkins and some squash on the outside around the edges. 

I do a lot of canning with the veggies.  several different kinds of salsa, tomato sauce, some wet peppers, some pickled beets and all different kinds of pickles. 

If i can find some spores and some logs this spring i might even get my shitakes going for next year.  I was thinking of 30-50 logs. 

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Jigger, what is your recipe for the salsa, if ya dont mind sharing it?

ole sam

« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2011, 08:54 AM »
I was planning on making one part enclosed in the fence that will contain all the things that the deer and other critters might enjoy and then plant things like peppers, potatoes, corn, pumpkins and some squash on the outside around the edges. 

Two comments:  Deer in my backyard last year cleared any fence below 5' (stopped when I went to 6').  Deer will eat young pepper plants - one cropped all of mine last year.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2011, 03:19 PM »
ole sam,

I was mainly trying to keep the bunnies and Ground hogs out with the fence...... and hopefully deter the deer from getting some things.  I live around some farmland with one producing a lot of the veggies for the local markets and some of my neighbors have gardens that have no fence at all that i could tell... and their gardens look like the did well.

Kind of banking on the deer going to the larger farms and the unfenced ones instead of mine.

JM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.