FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414847 times)

walleye1

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #2010 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Try..... "Well, I'm after perch...but these d**n 5lb smallmouths take so long to get in on light tackle that I'll never get any of the good fish."  :-*

;D

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #2011 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:27 AM »
No matter what it seems I can't escape the fools. I was looking forward to a nice relaxing time on the St. Lawrence last week with minimal bass boat interference other than local bass fisherman and Guess What? They hold the annual NYS B.A.S.S INVITATIONAL the first weekend I am there. 100's of bass boats, the most I have ever seen actually. I could have puked.  :sick: Thankfully they cleared out for the most part Sunday. Just so you know they acted the same way on the St. Lawrence as they do on Oneida. Must be they put NYS in front of their name to signify that they own all waters of the state of New York.  ::)

Later,
PP

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #2012 on: Aug 01, 2012, 11:11 AM »
It's a very far drive for me bud about 4 hours or I would be practicing no need to be offensive. It's not the bass boats you should complaining about its the pleasure boaters, tubers, and especially jet skis. Bass fisherman hardly move only from spot to spot. The majority of our time is on the trolling motor. I've seen plenty of guys trolling who are just as inconsiderate as some of your hated bass guys...

Not trying be offensive, I just think people in tournaments should find their own fish, that's what it is supposed to be about.  Anybody can get a spot from someone and go there and catch fish, then your not really competing in my mind. People that fish in other people's spots are fish catchers not fishermen...just my opinion.  If your too far away to pre-fish and can't compete then don't fish the tournament.  I don't really have a problem with bass trounaments in general but they have got a little out of hand on Oneida since the Elite guys starting comming here. 
shut up and fish

bcons

« Reply #2013 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:12 PM »
Typical bass fisherman

I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

bcons

« Reply #2014 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Perhaps when jigging eyes, or trolling we could borrow a technique from our Southern Brethren who fly fish the flats & are also annoyed by jetskis or those zipping by a little to close.

I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

filetandrelease

« Reply #2015 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:16 PM »

NICE :rotflol:  hey think a 5 oz sonar could do that ? to a weed chooper

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2016 on: Aug 01, 2012, 02:32 PM »
This thread has taken a turn for the AWESOME lately!!!

(I'm cool with bass tourney guys, except the ones who seem to think they get priority over other anglers simply because "I am in a tournament!".  I had a guy tell me I was "in his spot" once and got lippy.)

I still laugh about that.  

I don't care HOW MUCH that entry fee was, the spot is mine till I leave  ::)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #2017 on: Aug 01, 2012, 03:07 PM »
the bass boys, and i mean" boys"think they own the road to ??? :cursing:. I;m constantly getting cut off on bartell rd, in front of onieda shores. as long as the boat is hooked to the truck, they think it's ok to pull out in front of you !!! I feel better now.   later...

coachwarner

« Reply #2018 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:14 PM »
It's a very far drive for me bud about 4 hours or I would be practicing no need to be offensive. It's not the bass boats you should complaining about its the pleasure boaters, tubers, and especially jet skis. Bass fisherman hardly move only from spot to spot. The majority of our time is on the trolling motor. I've seen plenty of guys trolling who are just as inconsiderate as some of your hated bass guys...
Well..... i guess that is a invalid argument  :blink: ;D

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

pauly6777

« Reply #2019 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Hi guys, we bought a place on the south shore (a few miles west of Lewis Point) last year and I got the hoist in this year. I can just get the boat on the hoist, if the hoist was a few inches deeper into the bottom it would be great. Getting to the hoist is OK as my boat has a shallow draft (1750 Crestliner Fish Hawk). I was thinking about having a few friends over and digging the bottom out around the hoist or, and here's where I need some help, hiring a good local contractor to do it and maybe apply for the needed permits. Do you know of anyone you would recommend (or do any of you do this type of work?)? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you and contributing to the forum in the future. Oh, BTW-have been doing well on 'eyes in 10-12 feet of water over weeds with Rapala DT and red eye shad-windy days better  of course.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2020 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Pauly the lake right now is about 2 feet low take this into consideration , due to the lack of rain , just a thought

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2021 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Hi guys, we bought a place on the south shore (a few miles west of Lewis Point) last year and I got the hoist in this year. I can just get the boat on the hoist, if the hoist was a few inches deeper into the bottom it would be great. Getting to the hoist is OK as my boat has a shallow draft (1750 Crestliner Fish Hawk). I was thinking about having a few friends over and digging the bottom out around the hoist or, and here's where I need some help, hiring a good local contractor to do it and maybe apply for the needed permits. Do you know of anyone you would recommend (or do any of you do this type of work?)? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you and contributing to the forum in the future. Oh, BTW-have been doing well on 'eyes in 10-12 feet of water over weeds with Rapala DT and red eye shad-windy days better  of course.

Is it rocky bottom or soft?

When I lived in South Florida, we would sink dock pilings using a pump, hose and PVC 'wand'.  The substrate was soft enough that forcing water out the PVC wand (like a jet) would basically flush the mud and silt out from around the piling and it would sink into the void on its own.

Doubt it was legal, but it was the Everglades.  Guys don't care about 'legality' down there, but your neighbors might  :D

I do know that a DEC permit is needed anytime any mechanized equipment makes contact with water.

Not really sure about the laws regarding six or seven fishing/drinking buddies waist-deep with shovels though!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

ecolt14527

« Reply #2022 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Pauly 6777: I can answer that one for you !! You may not do any work below mean high water mark without a DEC permit. It's called the "Article 15 regulation". That includes you or several friends with shovels. Many times DEC is sympathetic with such a problem and will issue a letter to allow a small amount of work. Contact Region 7 DEC and ask the questions. Fines can be stiff !! Retired ECO

reeleyz

« Reply #2023 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:38 PM »
Is it rocky bottom or soft?

When I lived in South Florida, we would sink dock pilings using a pump, hose and PVC 'wand'.  The substrate was soft enough that forcing water out the PVC wand (like a jet) would basically flush the mud and silt out from around the piling and it would sink into the void on its own.

Doubt it was legal, but it was the Everglades.  Guys don't care about 'legality' down there, but your neighbors might  :D

I do know that a DEC permit is needed anytime any mechanized equipment makes contact with water.

Not really sure about the laws regarding six or seven fishing/drinking buddies waist-deep with shovels though!

That pump trick is great when you have a muddy bottom. It is amazing but like you said, not legal.

reeleyz

« Reply #2024 on: Aug 01, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Like eco said, you need a permit to do the work you are trying to do. Contact the DEC. It might take a little while but you should be able to get the permit you are looking for.

One thing that I find interesting is that Oneida has not fluctuated much at all this year. The lake level is right at the target level right now.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/waterlevels/netdata/oneida-levels.pdf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.