FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Yaking it today  (Read 2649 times)

crappiehunter

Yaking it today
« on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Got out today on my yak on a lake I've always wanted to get on with it. Took me a while but found the gills

[/URL

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/msutton58/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/E4A7DE19-69B2-488C-BDB9-C437C7C4596F_zpsrj94wbzs.jpg.html]

Crappie, Bass, Gills, Eyes, Pike, anything that swims!!

Boomer

Re: Yaking it today
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Nice. Hope to get out this weekend with ours.

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Have you ever taken your yak out on Lake Michigan?  Just wondering.

chicagill34

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:13 PM »
WTG on the fish!!  Maybe do a little looking around,there may be some clubs or people who hold Kayak fishing tourneys...

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Very cool man!

crappiehunter

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Thanks guys, no I haven't taken it on Lake Michigan. The waves and other boat wakes would make it a challenge. I tried getting into it in water overu head and I could not. I'm staying on lakes that I could I get to the shore if I had trouble. It is very stable and relaxing. I've got an anchor on a trolley rope and can position it to fish an area pretty good. I trolled and drifted today too. Gills were shallow around pads. Had the lake to myself!

stinkybaits

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Nice! Yak be too much like work for me... took me many years to obtain my girlish figure!

izzy65

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2014, 10:13 PM »
that's not stone is it ?  lakes looks bad shape.
Satchmo

crappiehunter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Just a little duck weed at the launch, not Stone!

turpie

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:29 AM »
I sure wish I could find some of the Lake Fork Baby Shad in the Ft Wayne area

crappiehunter

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2014, 06:45 AM »
All the gills came on wigglers under a Rocket Bobber, you can get the Baby Shad on their site. Pink and blue are my favorite and natural

tater140

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Nicely done.  I also took my yak out last night, but didn't have the kind of luck you did.  Isn't it great fishing out of a yak!!!! I also like those Baby shad, and their my go to lure.  Nice rod holders up front also, I need to rig up something similar.  I have holders, but their more out the side and I can't really paddle very well, cause things get in the way of the paddle.  Is that a piece you bought specifically for your yak?

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Looks like you had them coming your way Mike. I think I recognize that water! ;D
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

crappiehunter

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Tater, my rod holders came with my purchase. Bought it from a fishermen friend. It's a three way mount, that will handle 3 rod holders or other things. I had a depth finder in the middle for a while but have removed it for now. These are Scotty products. Very well built and pretty reasonable. My problem is that I want to carry more rods!!! To lazy to switch the lures!

Teacher, you know all the water in NWI!! and Beyond!! LOL!! Can't hide any honey holes from you!

tater140

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:07 PM »
For rod holders on the rods i'm not using I use my ice fishing rod bucket.  The kind that you screw 1.5" pvc pipe to the sides and cut slots etc... in the pvc.   I cut some slots on the top of the bucket also so I could strap it down to my kayak with bungee straps.  i can fit something like 7 rods in there and they stand straight up.  Then I use the bucket for a livewell.  I can strap it behind me so it stays out of the way.  So if your looking for a cheap way to bring along more rods that is how i have been doing it.  Just don't forget about your rods when you try to paddle under a low tree or bridge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.