FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop  (Read 58260 times)

Mac Attack

Re: The Little Wood Shop
« Reply #45 on: Jun 15, 2016, 06:23 AM »
My drill press took a vacation the other day.
I'm hoping it's only the switch.

:'(

Knot there yet

« Reply #46 on: Jun 15, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Why don't you make sets of planner boards. Plastic ones are crap. You would sell a bunch on here. You look handy. Simple design. I'm sure you can get prints on here too. Pm me if you do.

boondox

« Reply #47 on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:08 AM »
. My eyes are open for a decent radial arm saw. I'll find one ;D

Rg

to bad my dads is to big to mail he sending the trundle in for scarp price of the $100 there willing to pay for it cause of some recall on this saw. the motor has a flat spot in it but it still works he is going to throw the rest away for scrap metal cause none are selling on craigs list for over $100 that the only tool he's letting go of... cause of that recall and the money there giving...  that more then likely why your not finding any radial arm saw's?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #48 on: Jun 15, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Why don't you make sets of planner boards. Plastic ones are crap. You would sell a bunch on here. You look handy. Simple design. I'm sure you can get prints on here too. Pm me if you do.

I've made dozens of planer board sets. Not in recent years though. I used to make them for Finger Lakes trollers, river rats and Lake Ontario guys. Pm me your favorite plans and I'll take a look at it.

Boon, I'm looking for a 50's vintage Rockwell Homecraft radial arm. 8 or 10 ". I want something with decent ways and bearings. Generally the ways are perfect and the bearings and races need replacement. Once rebuilt, they're a seriously versatile  and accurate saw. I'm in no hurry.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #49 on: Jun 16, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Rg To bad we are so far apart. I have a radial arm in my basement that  could be had cheap. I am not sure what brand it is. It is newer that the 50's.

We have a few online auctions in my area. There are quite a few radial arms that show up all the time on them.

boondox

« Reply #50 on: Jun 16, 2016, 11:16 PM »
@ tomturkey

is it a sears craftmen? if it is it maybe recalled that were my dad is getting his $100 from the recall from what he is saying he cant even sell it cause if some one got hurt they could sue us for selling it to the person that got hurt cause of the recall. so check and see just to be on the safe side...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #51 on: Jun 17, 2016, 02:49 AM »
This is the one I'm looking for. Notice he center pivot arm. More compact than a rear pivot. Space is a premium for me.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #52 on: Jun 17, 2016, 11:53 AM »
It is not a Crapsman. I have had to much trouble with stuff I have bought from them over the years. I do not buy anything from them that l plugs in  any more.

I am guessing that maybe the injury that caused the recall might have been from a board getting kicked back into the injured person. From my experience all radial arms are prone to kicking out the pieces being held in against the back fence when ripping a board.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: Jun 18, 2016, 02:59 AM »
This is what I'm looking for.

Radial arm saws are for cross cutting....table saws are for ripping.

Couldn't agree with you more Tom. Sears power tools are the absolute worst.  I don't rip boards on a radial arm. Bad idea. But I've seen a lot of bad ideas tried on stationary equipment. In  the 20 pr so years I ran millwork shops, no person was ever injured on a piece of stationary equipment. Oh, there were the occasional idiots who tried, but all repetitive operations ( where most accidents happen) were subject to approval......by me.

Over the years in that business I wrote a 10 page test for prospective applicants. It was designed to determine their working knowledge of equipment and cutting procedures as well as their ability to follow written instructions. Applicant success rate was a mere 35%. Some were hired but not allowed to operate machinery before extensive indoctrination.

One page of the test was a series of pictures of a tape measure with arrows pointing at a specific measurement which they were to identify. There were 10 of these pictures. 40% of applicants who failed! couldn't read a ruler. Many had years of prior experience. They were given pictures of different cutters and saw blades and asked to indicate the proper feed direction.  Others related to how to cut circles on a band saw or with a router.

The cover asked them to provide personal information....name, address, contact info, SSI number, reference etc. they were given a blank page to use. 50% couldn't follow those simple written instructions. Many an applicant never made it past that page. Many left without even taking the test.

In the end, I would have a pretty clear picture of what they really knew.

Rg

tomturkey

« Reply #54 on: Jun 18, 2016, 08:21 AM »
The one I have looks about the same as what you are looking for just not as heavy duty. Right now the belt that raises and lowers the blade is broken, replacement is hanging on the wall. It has not been used for years. After looking again I think I see the difference you talked about earlier about how it pivots.

I have a Makita 8 inch table saw of the size of your yellow one. Instead of the fold up stand you have I bought a Skill table that folds up that makes it like a big saw. The rip guide is long so it makes it easy to get accurate rips. I can also rip a sheet of plywood in half with both halves being supported on the table.

Tom

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #55 on: Jun 18, 2016, 04:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of Dewalt tools, but the table saw has proven to be pretty darned good. Mine is the 7491rs. It's a 2.4 hp with capacity for a 13/16" dado set. The fence system has proven to be accurate and versatile. I can get 32" of cut on the table. However, I had to add an extension table. Fortunately, I don't have to handle 4x8 sheet goods or do long ripping.

I got a heck of a deal on it and it suits e need for now. Eventually, I'll get rid of the rolling stand thing and build a base for it with extensions. I'd have gone for a Delta 10" if I had the room.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #56 on: Jun 18, 2016, 06:50 PM »
ya that's what my dad did got a delta 10 inch cabinet saw went from crapsmen contractors  saw that he could not get the fence straight on he is a tool and die make by trade so he is anal retentive the fence on the 10 inch delta is way better then that crapsmen  I have used each and love the cabinet saw he has... but like you said yours suits your needs don't over do it you get to much stuff like us eventually and no room to do that wood working  you love ....  you could build a lay up table/ assembly table  were the saw fits in to the table like drops in  seen a micro shop set up in wood smith magazine  that the saw dropped into a hole on the table and had 8 foot by 4 foot to do the ripping and cutting if needed if they need the saw out they had a panel that fit were the saw went saves on room of owning a lay up table for assembly and a cabinet saw kills two with one stone....   

instead of building a router table use the hole for the saw and just make a router plate for that whole etc etc and under shelf storage etc etc..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #57 on: Jun 18, 2016, 06:58 PM »
I have a 30x 60" table that serves both off feed and assembly. Like I said, everything needs to be compact and moveable . When winter comes this stuff is headed to my basement. No way I'm leaving it in the garage for the winter.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #58 on: Jun 18, 2016, 07:03 PM »
condensation wreck havoc on tools you could if you built it make a adjoining piece to the lay up table and still store the tools In the basement .. got to remember it not permeant fixture leaving it in the saw whole it convertible so you can take stuff down stairs you could leave the bench In the garage etc etc and take the tool In the basement ? the micro set up was for limit room of a small basement...but like you said your all set just throwing this out there for others to digest if any thing...

tomturkey

« Reply #59 on: Jun 19, 2016, 08:34 AM »
I'm not a fan of Dewalt tools, but the table saw has proven to be pretty darned good. Mine is the 7491rs. It's a 2.4 hp with capacity for a 13/16" dado set. The fence system has proven to be accurate and versatile. I can get 32" of cut on the table. However, I had to add an extension table. Fortunately, I don't have to handle 4x8 sheet goods or do long ripping.

I got a heck of a deal on it and it suits e need for now. Eventually, I'll get rid of the rolling stand thing and build a base for it with extensions. I'd have gone for a Delta 10" if I had the room.

Rg

If I remember right you stole that saw along with some other great deals (steals).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.