FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Rebuild (pic heavy)  (Read 8250 times)

pikie

Re: Boat Rebuild (pic heavy)
« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2016, 01:22 PM »
Very nice job!  Thanks for the info on the decking!  I think my boat will need the big tear down/rebuild maybe in 2 or 3 years.  I'll be sure to check back with you to see if you still like the product for decking.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #31 on: Jul 08, 2016, 02:07 PM »
  To fasten the deck to the aluminum stringers I used an aluminum sheet metal screw. Found some with a low profile and built in washer. Theses guys seem very tough. I was going to countersink and go flush, but figured the other screw would allow the material to move with temp changes better. As recommended I drilled the holes through the Starboard oversize to allow for expansion and contraction. For the seats I used #14 stainless lags, not through bolted. It seems to hold a screw way better than wood, really cinched down good with a tight pilot hole. All my friends said I'll pull them out, I sure hope not. Seems rock solid. I could always pull the deck up and redo that if needed.   :P

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2016, 08:42 AM »
  Finally put the small craft to a good sea test Sunday morning on Oneida. Did a few drift passes out in front of Lewis, found a few perch and sheep heads there. Against my better judgment I decided to make a move to Messenger shoals in building seas. With the east wind bearing down harder and harder we decided to get our carcasses back to the safer eastern direction. The boat handled to pound back nicely. Never felt unsafe in the yellow bucket. Overall I'm pretty happy with the rebuild so far. Couldn't coax an eye to join us on board, but enjoyed getting the opportunity to try.  ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2016, 09:59 AM »

glad all went well , youll get them next time
I hope to get out this week I'm catching up on my work at the house

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #34 on: Aug 01, 2016, 12:31 PM »
  Best of luck to you Fred!  ;)

filetandrelease

« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2016, 07:30 PM »

Thanks I'll need it , the way the bite has been

pikie

« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Rugburn, How did the new decking fair during the winter?  Did you store it outside this winter?  Really considering using the same starboard product you used if your still happy with it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #37 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:57 AM »
 The boat is still in a buddies horse barn, haven't gone to look yet. For winter I like to get boats under a roof.
 I can't think the cold would be a problem for the decking. I'll take a look next warm weekend day.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2017, 02:16 PM »
 Funny you brought this thread up pikie, I tend to forget about the work I put into things. Been looking at a Lund for sale, thinking about an upgrade. Then I look back at the rebuild pics and get second thoughts. It did come out nice! There are no rules about owning two boats, right? Wait I also have a canoe and two kayaks. Let me rephrase, "no rules against owning 5 boats, right?"   LOL   :P

filetandrelease

« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2017, 06:49 AM »

That was a great rebuild , I'd have to keep it , far as I know nobody has set a limit on boats yet

Mac Attack

« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:18 AM »
That was a great rebuild , I'd have to keep it , far as I know nobody has set a limit on boats yet

Not at my house anyway.

;D

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2017, 09:51 AM »
 Yeah Mac, I was all set to go and take a look at that Lund this Saturday. Now with all this new snow and salty roads...... >:(   Hate to drive down these roads with a fresh boat in tow. Figures....

Mac Attack

« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Yeah Mac, I was all set to go and take a look at that Lund this Saturday. Now with all this new snow and salty roads...... >:(   Hate to drive down these roads with a fresh boat in tow. Figures....

Still.....it sounded like a good deal.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14, 2017, 01:04 PM »
 I transferred funds, all ready to go.....Wait, can't get out of the driveway yet!   :w00t:

filetandrelease

« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2017, 02:52 PM »
I transferred funds, all ready to go.....Wait, can't get out of the driveway yet!   :w00t:
Now if you get another boat how in the hell im I suppose to follow you around 🤔

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.