FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: why mother nature?  (Read 33601 times)

TrekJeff

Re: why mother nature?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Good stuff on here.  Part of the studies I've been involved in tend to point to the fact it is a natural cycle.  Are we helping it...maybe.  What's the solution?  Well we could all install solar panels and sell out extra electricity to the electric company.  We could all buy mountain bikes and stop buying anything shipped via cargo ships that enter the Great Lakes water basin...that would also help with the invasive species issues as well as the spread of VHS.  There are a number of things we could do..but what are we willing to give up?  The study of environmental economics is fasinating...check it out.

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:03 PM »
right heres your global warming. We havnt hit our average temperature in the past week... once

Actually for what it's worth global warming is supposed to cause erratic weather. But in all fairness you can't measure global warming in several day events, seaonal events, or even a few short years. It has to be a trend over numerous years. Our average earth temps are rising though. I have no doubt we are warming up over the long haul. My question is how much of it is a natural cycle and how much of it is a man made influence. Personally I think it's both. 

Edit:

Whoops now I see I am just repeating what someone else said. Sorry for the redundancy.

I sure wish Al Gore wasn't a spokesman for global warming though. It makes those on the right automatically discount it. I find that a pity.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

llfishstyle

« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:43 PM »
For those who said all the co2 that man puts into the world has no effect is like saying putting pike in every lake has no effect on trout and salmon fisheries....These people are idiots

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:45 PM »
Actually for what it's worth global warming is supposed to cause erratic weather. But in all fairness you can't measure global warming in several day events, seaonal events, or even a few short years. It has to be a trend over numerous years. Our average earth temps are rising though. I have no doubt we are warming up over the long haul. My question is how much of it is a natural cycle and how much of it is a man made influence. Personally I think it's both. 

Edit:

Whoops now I see I am just repeating what someone else said. Sorry for the redundancy.

I sure wish Al Gore wasn't a spokesman for global warming though. It makes those on the right automatically discount it. I find that a pity.

I was poking fun at the cold weather. And whe it is 104 in the summer ill say its global warming and were all going to fry ::)

Fishing is life

MIRC!

llfishstyle

« Reply #34 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:47 PM »
I am no fan of al gore but i am a fan of science. AL GORE MAY BE A FRUIT CAKE but he is simply conveying science. Regardless of whether u think he is right or wrong pollution must affect somthing and it should stop. Dont trash global warming even if u think it is wrong have the intellegence to realize that this subject may just have the power to set fourth a movement where pollution is no longer a problem. It all tricles down to fisheries the more crap we put into the environment the lower the pH gets and then it rains and lakes and rivers lower their pH and we are left with no fish....think about it...

taxid

« Reply #35 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Even if global warming is exaggerated what would be the harm of cleaning up our act? I say lets clean up our act on this planet. No harm done there and I think it can actually create jobs.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:11 PM »
Even if global warming is exaggerated what would be the harm of cleaning up our act? I say lets clean up our act on this planet. No harm done there and I think it can actually create jobs.

thank you thank you thank you. Global warming or not, we should all be careful of what we do. We pollute either way, and even if global warming is not linked to pollution. Pollution is linked to killing off fish and wildlife.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Jim P

• Lake Ontario 8/2008
« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:17 PM »
For those who said all the co2 that man puts into the world has no effect is like saying putting pike in every lake has no effect on trout and salmon fisheries....These people are idiots

Regardless of whether u think he is right or wrong pollution must affect somthing and it should stop.

First of all, we are having a civilized discussion of an issue that is of interest to all of us. Calling people idiots and fruit cakes are personal attacks, it adds nothing to the discussion and is frankly childish.

Next you confuse pollution and Co2, Co2 is a naturally occurring gas and to call it pollution is wrong. Since you are such a fan of science perhaps you can tell me what percentage of Co2 found in the environment is man made? I will even give you a hint, think small and the answer is in the link I provided to the BBC documentary.

Third Al Gore is not a fruit cake, he is just a politician that is simply wrong. Where I have a problem with him is that I think he is wrong on purpose. It is what is paying his bills these days. Hence the y2k comparison.

Have you noticed that every media outlet now has an Environmental Reporter? Do you think that there job will be there tomorrow if their next ten stories concluded that there was nothing to see, move along? Could self preservation play into the henney penny predictions of doom and gloom?

Now, I will agree with you, pollution should be handled properly. As a society mainly it is, America is probably one of the best in the world at it. Since the 1970's America has dedicated billions to this effort. Perhaps your time and vast scientific knowledge could be put to use in China or India where there is some real environmental destruction taking place.

Lastly, you need to realize that the acid rain is coming from coal fired power plants in the Midwest and elsewhere. As a nation, because of environmental ignorance, we are increasing our dependence on coal as a form of electrical power generation, this is the default position because as we increase demand we are removing the best choice Nuclear and my second favorite Hydro.

Jim

tax and pike I agree, just be aware that all these terms are not interchangeable.

TinyTim

• MFF Mod Team
  • PB 7.05 lbs.
« Reply #38 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Well said Jim.

BIG-JAKE

• Its about the whole experience...& landing fish.
« Reply #39 on: Apr 12, 2007, 07:08 AM »
Take the time to read what others are writing people believe in what they are saying.  We do not have to agree but read the thread. Please do not get all uppity and bang out replies without reading what people have to say.

I think several of you make good points - especially jim
"REMOVED"

rrfish

• Missouri River Brown
« Reply #40 on: Apr 12, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Jim P...well said, I agree with you.  I'm just glad you said all that stuff so I didn't have to. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
  Hey Jiggy...pass me a beer will ya please?

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #41 on: Apr 12, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Jim P...well said, I agree with you.  I'm just glad you said all that stuff so I didn't have to. 
  another one of his better qualities.... ;)

llfishstyle

why mother nature?
« Reply #42 on: Apr 12, 2007, 09:34 AM »
First i must start off by saying in no way am i directly calling out anyone in particular as an idiot. i am simply calling america as a hole in some regards as idots. I use the pike model which i know u all agree with in that illegaly stocking pike is wrong. I'm sure if you were to see somone through a pike into sebago or even moosehead anyone would be outraged. However think of how it  isnt different form global warming

i recently spoke with professor larry C thompson who since 1950 has been a chemical pollution analyst. Now dont misunderstand here he has faught both sides of arguments he simply looks at the chemical side of things (teaching chemestry for 50+ years). Now Pollution is definied as a substance at a place where should not be, in, undesirable amounts.

Therefore Pike for example are pollution they are things that are in places where they should not be in undesirable amounts. I think most of you would agree with me when i discredit the argument that " pike are natural fish and belong in the water therefore i am doing nothing wrong by putting pike into moosehead or sebago."

This however is the same argument people are using for global climate change. It is here where i have the problem. Saying that co2 is a natural substance not man made and doesnt effect the environment. This is similar to saying pike are naturaly fish and live in water and that they dont harm water ecosystems.

Co2 is a natural compound, however, it along with others is produced as a by product by things we have all heard of. We do have natural things on the plantet that do naturaly balacne levels of chemicals. LIke plants breath co2 and take some out of the air however we have been clear cutting and over population has destryoyed the verythings that maintain checks and balances.

The earth can support a certain amount of co2 just like salmon and trout fisheries can survive with a certain amount of pike. However when the checks and balances are depleted and the amounts of co2 and other undesirable large quanities of gases are produced we start to see results. Ice caps melting, some of the highest recorded  average tempertaures ever, the most agressive storm surges, coral reefs depleting from increase water temps, species liek the polar bear decreasing in numbers, are all things that are clear signs of somthing. And maybe if this wasnt a yearly thing our reactions may just be to let it go but it is yearly.

If sebagos salmon population went down along with all of the trout in an increasing matter, would we sit back and say "ohh pike are natural they are fish it has nothing to do with it, al gore is an idot, this is all bull crap liberalism" no we would say we have to many pike and it is messing things up. Now i am not to say that i am any more inocent then any of u guys in terms of pollution but to discredit somthing that has the potential to clean up our world in my mind is ignorant.

I also commend that president bush and his organization has just passed that globa warming is no longer a debate.

Now to answer Jim p question about hoe much co2 is man made and u are exactly right very little is man made however a A very large amount of it is a by product from somthing man made.  How many of the pike in sebago are man made. None but their levels are by products of people stocking them in there.
BBc is correct when they say that the warming and cooling is natural however that isnt the debate it is whether we are speeding it up

I did view that BBc documentry and i do ask u to look at this one http://nodvin.net/swindle_scam/index.html

Finally about the propaganda that u mentioned. IN order to conform to the needs of global warming that means

changing all big engine high profit cars to small low profit cars. it also means taking all coal plants and anything with exahuast and co2 squestering it. This means that it would cost money not make money. Global warming may be if u believe propaganda to clean the world but is that a bad thing?

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #43 on: Apr 12, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I'm going nuts!  :o

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 12, 2007, 10:42 AM »
I'm going nuts!  :o

im not reading all of it right now ;D

Fishing is life